Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennyp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I'm looking for two 4TB - but preferably 5TB - external drives to connect to my late 2015 27-inch iMac.

This iMac has two Thunderbolt 2 ports, and four USB 3 ports.

One of the two Thunderbolt 2 ports is in use (it's connected to a 1TB external drive for a nightly startup drive clone with Carbon Copy Cloner).

Two of the four USB 3 ports are in use (scanner, and extended keyboard).

The new external drives would be for external data (not backups), but I need to be able to connect them to this iMac so that (a) I can store data in them obviously, and (b) allow Carbon Copy Cloner to clone one to the other overnight, the idea being to safeguard data in case (or when) one of them fails.

What the fastest type of connection/drive for two new external drives that will enable me to connect them to the iMac, hopefully daisy-chaining them together?

I'm guessing the Thunderbolt 2 port would be the one to use (as opposed to the old USB 3) - but what's the fastest type of external drive/connection to use for that - preferably bus-powered? When would I need an adapter? And would daisy-chaining of the two new external drives be possible?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Attached to my 2017 iMac via TB3: Netstor box with two NVMe Intel 660 2TB SSDs in RAID 0 giving fast 4TB reads and writes. The only drive with SATA is 8TB HDD used for Time Machine. You can get 4TB SATA SSDs or put two SATA 2TB SSDs in RAID 0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.