Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ursulahx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Stop me if this is in the wrong section, but here's my problem:

I've been trying to record Fortnite gameplay with teammates to share videos with the community. I'm using Screenflick to make the recordings, which works OK. When I play back, my teammates' voices are all clear and at full volume but my voice is very quiet. My teammates can hear me just fine in game, so it's not that - it's just something affecting the audio capture from my headset.

I'm using the HyperX Cloud II headset, which is more suitable for Mac because it has a USB connection rather than plugging into the 3.5mm port (which wouldn't work on a Mac). It has its own sound card built into a connector, on which there are independent controls for headset and mic volume. I've tried upping the volume on the mic but it's made no difference.

Unfortunately the Cloud II overrides the Mac's own Sound control panel in System Preferences, so I can't increase the Input Volume there.

It could be that Fortnite's voice chat controls are boosting my voice in game (so my teammates can hear me) but this isn't being captured by my Mac. I don't have any way of finding this out, however, other than opening a ticket with Epic Games (whose customer support is notoriously slow and opaque).

I've been in contact with the developers of Screenflick, who have been very helpful as far as they can, and with HyperX (who were less helpful, because they kept suggesting solutions which only apply to PCs). Nothing has worked so far.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.

ursulahx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Bumping this because I eventually found a workaround. Use Audio Hijack to record my own voice; switch off the mic recording in Screenflick. Use Screenflick to record the visuals and ambient audio. Set the voice output in the game's settings to "Screenflick". This is all it takes - a bit tiresome, but it does work. I then adjust audio levels appropriately in FCP X if I'm outputting to YouTube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.