Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Hard to beat that price for a nice little machine.... I'm not sure if these are often in stock or not but it caught my eye so I thought I'd post it.

Apple's online refurb store has Mac Mini 1.25, 256mb, 40gb with combo for $399 with free shipping.

:)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Nice, are you thinking about purchasing one? Just be sure to get more RAM.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, that probably sets the record for the cheapest computer Apple has ever sold.

Good deal for those in the market for a basic Mini.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
wdlove said:
Nice, are you thinking about purchasing one? Just be sure to get more RAM.

I want a nice machine for the downstairs of the new house. We're going to have our studies upstairs, so it would be nice to have a machine to jump online and check mail.

That said, we'll probably keep photos and some video on it.. and it would be nice to have a machine that's quite capable of more if we need it. So, if I don't go mini, hen I might go a used mirror door dual cpu machine.

It's a debate I'm having with myself... buy a new mini and be all cute and cheap.. or spend $600-800 and get a much more cable and expandable used machine.

I saw thread that one chap started comparing his dual 866 to his 1.42, the benchmarks showed the 1.42 was winning the race. I'm just no sure though.

Opinions are welcome! I mean christ, for $500 more I can get a iMac g5 @ 1.6 that doubles the xbench score. I don't know. :confused:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
cr2sh said:
I want a nice machine for the downstairs of the new house. We're going to have our studies upstairs, so it would be nice to have a machine to jump online and check mail.

That said, we'll probably keep photos and some video on it.. and it would be nice to have a machine that's quite capable of more if we need it. So, if I don't go mini, hen I might go a used mirror door dual cpu machine.

I'm a big fan of the Power mac G4 (check my sig to see my heavily upgraded Digital Audio G4), and they are quite a bit faster than the Mini (and WAY more expandable), but be careful buying a used one because the reseller prices on a Mirrored Drive Door G4 can poke into iMac G5 territory. Dual 1.42 towers are still fetching $1200-1500 in many cases. Still they are quite fast and you can slap in SATA hard drives, tray-loading DVD-Rs (more reliable than the slotloaders in many cases) and a Radeon 9800 video card etc. etc.

If you don't think you'll be doing much upgrading the Mini is a great choice. The iMac G5 will stay "current" longest but is not as expandable as a tower.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
Lord Blackadder said:
I'm a big fan of the Power mac G4 (check my sig to see my heavily upgraded Digital Audio G4), and they are quite a bit faster than the Mini (and WAY more expandable), but be careful buying a used one because the reseller prices on a Mirrored Drive Door G4 can poke into iMac G5 territory. Dual 1.42 towers are still fetching $1200-1500 in many cases. Still they are quite fast and you can slap in SATA hard drives, tray-loading DVD-Rs (more reliable than the slotloaders in many cases) and a Radeon 9800 video card etc. etc.

If you don't think you'll be doing much upgrading the Mini is a great choice. The iMac G5 will stay "current" longest but is not as expandable as a tower.

Yeh.. it's my call, but its a tough one. I shouldn't spend a lot on a machine.. first because I won't be crunching anything serious and second, because it'll be downstairs. I should spend as little as possible and get a good machine, also because we know intels are down the road. And I know that I'll end up buying a new powermac then.

I guess I made my decision... :)

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
cr2sh said:
Yeh.. it's my call, but its a tough one. I shouldn't spend a lot on a machine.. first because I won't be crunching anything serious and second, because it'll be downstairs. I should spend as little as possible and get a good machine, also because we know intels are down the road. And I know that I'll end up buying a new powermac then.

I guess I made my decision... :)

Then again.

$400 for an mac mini that will show its age soon.

Or $900 for a imac that has some legs on it.

Goddamnit.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
cr2sh said:
Then again.

$400 for an mac mini that will show its age soon.

Or $900 for a imac that has some legs on it.

Goddamnit.

lol

I think the mac mini would be good enough for what you need. It should hold you ever atleast till the Intels come if you still plan to get one of them.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2002
downtown
KittenKrusher said:
lol

I think the mac mini would be good enough for what you need. It should hold you ever atleast till the Intels come if you still plan to get one of them.

The intel powermac will be a replacement for my current movie editing rig.. it will not replace the downstairs machine.

:)

Anyways... why don't they have a g5 mac mini? It would solve the problem so easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.