Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackDan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2004
Belgium
Hi,

One of the users in my company has a lot of Region 1 DVD's, so he changed the region code a few times between region 1 and 2. Unfortunately the number of times you can change this is limited. How can this counter be reset or circumvented?

Thanks,

D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Depending on what model and make of drive you have, you may be able to get unsupported firmware from the likes of rpc1.org. Using such firmware will void your warranty, because manufacturers are not allowed to support that capability in drives sold to the general public. Original Apple firmware is very hard to obtain for most drives, so this should be considered a permanent change.

It's easy to destroy a drive by flashing it with incorrect firmware, so make sure to research this thoroughly before proceeding.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I have a similar problem, as a Brit I have a bunch of Region2 DVD's that I bought in the UK. Now living in Canada, I now have a bunch of Region1 DVD's. Luckily my DVD player can play multi-regions, but my PC/Macs can't.

Assuming he owns the DVD's (legal point) he could rip them so that the region code is removed - Mac The Ripper will do this. Unfortunately it seems that most software requires that the latest DVD drives are set to the correct region code prior to ripping. So best rip the whole lot at one time, before changing the region code again.

Alternatively buy a second DVD-ROM drive and use that for the other region.

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
I'm in region 2 and can't rip my region 1 DVDs, even though I've never played a DVD in the drive. Remember reading somewhere on here that the later drives prevent Mac the Ripper ripping other regions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.