Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Now that a year has passed, are people happy that they upgraded to the 11" Pro from a 10.5"? I got a used 11" from Amazon Warehouse at a pretty good price and still have the 10.5" right now, but I'm not sure about the 11" . Face ID has been a little hit or miss for me (sometimes I'm too far away?) and the screen is basically the same. I also prefer the old smart keyboard which can just act as a stand when you just want to watch video, unlike the 11" keyboard which is always out. Maybe it's better to return this and see what comes next year?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
If they weren't happy, they would have sold/traded it back for a 10.5" Pro.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Or maybe not, who knows that for sure. Apple offers more than these two models.

Some might hold off until the successor arrives, some might never buy another iPad, etc.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Now that a year has passed, are people happy that they upgraded to the 11" Pro from a 10.5"? I got a used 11" from Amazon Warehouse at a pretty good price and still have the 10.5" right now, but I'm not sure about the 11" . Face ID has been a little hit or miss for me (sometimes I'm too far away?) and the screen is basically the same. I also prefer the old smart keyboard which can just act as a stand when you just want to watch video, unlike the 11" keyboard which is always out. Maybe it's better to return this and see what comes next year?
Absolutely no regrets from me!

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I thought I lost my 10.5 so I bought the 11...

Then Delta airlines found my iPad...

I don’t like the Face ID at all, and to be honest I sense no difference in screen size or performance.

R

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I faced a similar decision except with the 12.9s. Coming from a 1st gen 12.9, I was deciding between the 2nd or 3rd gen. Though the 3rd gen was faster and had usb-c, I opted for the 2nd gen because I prefer bigger bezels (easier to handle) and Touch ID. It’s plenty fast, and lightning has been fine for me, so I’m very happy with it. But it really comes down to what’s important for each individual.

For the keyboard cover issue, maybe you could permanently leave a small inconspicuous stand on the table(s) where you commonly use your ipad and need to conserve table space. You could also carry a small portable stand in your bag for places like an airplane tray table.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015

I did exactly that ? Originally had a 10.5 pro. Sold that to part fund my 12.9 iPad 3rd gen. I tried to like the 12.9 but couldn’t. I owned it for a total of 4.5 months..I love faceID on my iPhone but hated it on the iPad. The size & weight were also an issue in my case and ultimately found it annoying to use.

Anyway, I recently spotted a deal on another pro 10.5 and sold my 3rd gen and now feel completely at ease & back in my comfort zone. The performance is pretty much identical between both models but the home button, size/weight are a welcome relief

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I did exactly that ? Originally had a 10.5 pro. Sold that to part fund my 12.9 iPad 3rd gen. I tried to like the 12.9 but couldn’t. I owned it for a total of 4.5 months..I love faceID on my iPhone but hated it on the iPad. The size & weight were also an issue in my case and ultimately found it annoying to use.

Anyway, I recently spotted a deal on another pro 10.5 and sold my 3rd gen and now feel completely at ease & back in my comfort zone. The performance is pretty much identical between both models but the home button, size/weight are a welcome relief

Somewhat the opposite for me. I had the 10.5 Pro and then got the 2018 12.9, keeping both devices thinking that I might like the 10.5 for some things. Wrong - I always use the 12.9 and don't find the size an issue no matter where I use it. I love the big, beautiful screen.

Reactions: Aydy

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I had some regret when I originally purchased my 11" Pro and sold my 10.5" Pro. But a year later, I don't regret the decision at all. I really dig the new charging method with the Apple Pencil and my Pro has been a workhorse device when I'm at home (I generally don't use my iPhone when I'm home).

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
my only regret with the 11 was that I didn't get the 12.9, which I solved.

Jedimindtrick how did you solve it please tell me??? I have had the 11" for 3 week shy of 1 year and the last 3 months or so i have thought why didn't i go for the 12.9 model. Thoughts have been going through my head, i can trade 11 in for the 12.9 to T Mobile then i say they will come out with the next Gen and i say i can wait for Gen 4 this one is just Fine

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I have the iPad Pro 10.5 and the newest pro 12.9, I was toying with the idea of upgrading to the 11 but the 10.5 is my favorite Ipad , I love the feel and the performance is great. It truly is future proof for now in my mind.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yes, I returned my 11" ipad.... I much prefer touch ID to face ID (which does not work when standing and the ipad is its cover for instance, and then you also have to swipe every time...) but that was not the deal breaker. The deal breaker for me was that the keyboard does not work on your lap, contrary to the 10.5, which for me it's important since I also use the ipad as an on the go laptop. Still, I miss 2 things from that ipad... USB C, and the pencil 2..... And the 10.5 has that ugly white spot, although I have got used to it

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Yes, I returned my 11" ipad.... I much prefer touch ID to face ID (which does not work when standing and the ipad is its cover for instance, and then you also have to swipe every time...) but that was not the deal breaker. The deal breaker for me was that the keyboard does not work on your lap, contrary to the 10.5, which for me it's important since I also use the ipad as an on the go laptop. Still, I miss 2 things from that ipad... USB C, and the pencil 2..... And the 10.5 has that ugly white spot, although I have got used to it
I agree with this. I honestly felt a sense of relief when going from a 3rd gen 12.9 back to a 10.5 2nd gen. Probably the first time I have ever downgraded a device and not been left wanting.

Also, the “white spot” issue you mention seems common on these forums but and definitely an issue for those who have it but I personally am not affected with this and ‘presumably, there are millions of other 10.5‘s out there also unaffected. Reading the forum, one could get the impression that it’s a certainty for all 2nd gens..which, tbf isn't the reality. Not that I’m downplaying the issue. I’m not. Just worth remembering how many units these sold vs the relatively (in comparison) small number affected units reported here.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Jedimindtrick

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2017
Jedimindtrick how did you solve it please tell me??? I have had the 11" for 3 week shy of 1 year and the last 3 months or so i have thought why didn't i go for the 12.9 model. Thoughts have been going through my head, i can trade 11 in for the 12.9 to T Mobile then i say they will come out with the next Gen and i say i can wait for Gen 4 this one is just Fine
I sold the 11 on eBay for about 70 cents on the dollar, and back in July, Amazon had a sale on new iPad Pro 12.9 256gb for $975 (marked down from $1,149.) In the end I think I wound up paying around $300 out of pocket.

So for some that might not be the best solution, but for me it was worth it in the long haul. iPad Pro 12.9 is great for me for work, much better than the 11 (for ME.)

BUT, I will admit I missed a smaller iPad. So I wound up getting the iPad Mini 5 (for couch/bed) a few months later and I think I’ve found my future sweet spot when I eventually replace these: Larger iPad Pro for work/on the go. iPad Mini for home use.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
So for some that might not be the best solution, but for me it was worth it in the long haul. iPad Pro 12.9 is great for me for work, much better than the 11 (for ME.)

BUT, I will admit I missed a smaller iPad. So I wound up getting the iPad Mini 5 (for couch/bed) a few months later and I think I’ve found my future sweet spot when I eventually replace these: Larger iPad Pro for work/on the go. iPad Mini for home use.
That’s me exactly haha. 12.9 iPP goes with me to work every day and is used for work and general productivity. When I get home I switch to my Mini which is much more ideal for casual usage around the house. It’s a great combo.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I had a 2nd gen 12.9 before my 11”. I’ll admit I don’t love Face ID on my iPad nearly as much as my phone, but overall I think the 11” iPP is a great device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.