Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
I have been using 3 airport extremes connected via hardwire for a number of years and I am considering upgrading to something else. Our house is two stories and I currently have the three extremes (latest model) spread pretty evenly throughout the house. I have had to reboot them more often than I like lately and occasionally need to turn Wi-Fi on and off on my devices and establish a new connection.

The reasons to consider upgrading include: newer Wi-Fi technology, better performance and security.

We have about 30 devices on the network. I have maintained hardwire connections to the routers when possible so I would like the ability to do the same on a replacement (multiple ports).

What would you suggest upgrading to? Linksys? Netgear? TP-Link? Something else? The reason I am not really considering Google Wi-Fi or Eero is because they do not have more than one input for hardwire on each node.

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I am looking for the answer to that as well. Since I use my Airport Extreme for MBP back-ups, I will keep it attached to any new router I buy.

Many will suggest mesh, but my house is way too small to justify that.

Reactions: rschama

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
I have NetGear Orbi AX6000 mesh in my main house that i upgraded from Airport Extremes (latest version). Orbi has fantastic speed with Wifi 6. BUT it is not as reliable as my old Airport Extremes, which i have moved to my other house. AEs may be “slower” and no longer supported, but i still think that they are very reliable.

I think that the Amazon Eero Pro 6 is probably as close to Airport Extremes in terms of ease of use, simplicity, AND reliability. And good customer service from what i hear.

Eero PRO has two inputs i think…but that’s it. So, your main router will have one to your modem. The other will connect to wall outlet to supply your other hardwired nodes.

For me, i cannot use Eero PRO because I need more than two inputs at the main router. With my Orbi AX, i am using 3 connections at main router…one to modem, one to wall (i also have hardwired nodes), and one direct connect to my iMac Pro.

jdvoracek

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2014
You will get as many answers as you get responses. Everyone has their favorite router. Every review has a different conclusion, so you are somewhat rolling the dice. Here is my free advice, worth what you paid for it.

Based on your desire to maintain physical connections, I would consider three identical devices to replace your three current routers. I would get all devices the same, that is, routers which can also function as access points and/or bridges depending on your intra-device communication Do some of your devices need to talk to others on your LAN. If so, you need to look at bridges, if not, access points.

I've gone through Linksys, TP-Link, Netgear and most recently ASUS routers. I am most pleased with my current ASUS RT-AX55 to which my Airport connects as an access point. This router can itself be used in a bridge configuration or as an access point (with four connection ports). You would use one as the main router, the other two as repeaters if bridging or access points if not.

On the other hand, why not just go wireless with one router? WIFI-5 and 6 are pretty darn fast. If a few devices are older and require a cabled connection, just use your Extremes as access points. BTW, the RT-AX55 lets you name the 2 and 5 ghz networks the same, and it will connect each client to the best choice at the time. They call this "dual band smart connect".

GL!

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
If you’re gonna have multiple routers…then get a MESH system. No point in having 3 separate (identical) routers that don’t talk to each other. Your devices will drop connection like crazy as you stroll thru your house. Been there, done that.

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
I too used apple airports - hard wired.The issue I have with this arrangement was that if the same SSID is used for the units, the roaming devices will not switch alway to the closest airport - would hang on to the airport first acquired. So I had different SSID's. A pain but I lived with it for a years and Airport Time capsule wifi got most of the coverage I needed - just the other end of the house was sketchy and the second SSID infilled there. I had the chance to borrow an ARRIS easy mesh system. What a difference in access. I had the loan of a router and two extenders hardwired back to the router - so a LAN based easy mesh system. Anyhow I had to return this system - but I knew what I wanted now. To the point raised above, having a device that can be a router or extender was one requirement. LAN access ports on the extenders another requirement (the ARRIS extenders only have one LAN port per extender but that was enough). Wifi 6 another requirement.
For better or worse I picked the DLINK COVR X1870 wifi 6 system - three units. Initially was a bad decision. This is a really dumbed down consumer grade system. No bridging option, no ability to manually set channels. The plus side - each unit is identical - can act as route or extender and each unit has 4 LAN ports operating as extender or router. How to set up LAN mesh is not documented so wifi backhaul was the default - terrible performance. This was the point of thinking I had made a very bad decision and on the verge of returning the system.
Anyhow got the LAN backhaul working via tech support and can achieve 600 to 700Mbps anywhere in the house now via a MacBook Pro 13 M1. (ps on the COVR 1870 units, the LAN backhaul for LAN mesh does NOT connect to the "internet" port on a device running as an extender - the backhaul plugs into the LAN port - doh!)

Edit. The airport time capsule is still running - wifi off - plugged into the lan port of an extender now

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I got Verizon FiOS Gigabit Ethernet at home recently and they install all new Series 3100 routers. I highly recommend the upgrade.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
For me, i cannot use Eero PRO because I need more than two inputs at the main router.
I think this is your stumbling block. Just get a cheap 5-port unmanaged switch from TP-Link or Linksys or some other brands to increase the # of ethernet ports. I have done this with my own eero network and it works fantastically. On the eero iOS app, the main gateway eero still thinks that these 10 devices are directly connected to it, even though they are connected to an unmanaged switch, which is then connected to the gateway eero.

Eero is fantastic - very reliable, extremely flexible, and as others have noted, their customer service is great.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If you’re gonna have multiple routers…then get a MESH system. No point in having 3 separate (identical) routers that don’t talk to each other. Your devices will drop connection like crazy as you stroll thru your house. Been there, done that.
If only this was true....

Seamless node switching or roaming was one of the reasons why I tried out the highly rated, but expensive Linksys Tri-band Mesh system with three nodes back in 2020 to replace my aging 6th gen AirPort Extreme. Basically, I wanted to expand my network to get good coverage while I was outside of my then townhome's parking lot, warming my car, getting ready for my commute in the morning.

While seamless node switching was advertise, but didn't happen. I would still be connected to the network, but connected to a far-away node and not the one closest to me. I talked to technical service and was told to do exactly what you are saying would happen with the multiple AirPort Extremes, turn the wifi off from the device and back on. This was very disappointing.

Between that and many other issues, and also the fact that my old AirPort had faster transfer speeds than my modern mesh system (most of my devices are older, so can't take advantage of the faster wifi), I returned the Linksys.

After researching other mesh systems, I found that users were reporting similar issues, so I decided to go back to the old AirPort Extreme.

I have since purchased four more 6th gen AirPort Extremes on beat, for a total of 5 for my new single family home (still cheaper than the 3-node Linksys mesh system), and don't have an issue with signal on my iPhone when walking from one end of my home to the other.

BTW, I am not saying a mesh system wouldn't work for other people, but I was really disappointed with them. One day, I am sure I will have to replace my old AirPort system, I just hope they get better than they are now.

I posted about my experience with the mesh system here a while back:
I have used been using Apple AirPort for almost 20 years, and have enjoyed them for the most part.

Sometimes last year, I started to have some Wifi issues on the 2.4GHz band, and figured that my aging 6th Gen AirPort Extreme (lastest gen) might be due for a replacement.

Normally I would troubleshoot, but in this case, I figured my AirPort was about to go, maybe I would try a Mesh Wifi system that I kept reading about, and maybe it was time to move on from Apple's legacy network equipment.

There was one thing in particular that I was looking forward to with the mesh wifi, that was the seamless band switching and seamless roaming feature, as I would put a node near where I park my car enabling me to have good signal when sitting in my car getting ready for my morning commute. With the AirPort, I would have signal, but it wasn't good where was car was at.

I bought the expensive Linksys Velop Tri-band 3-node system:

At first, I was mildly impressed with it, but then I started having a few issues, mainly with periodic slowdown. The seamless band switching didn't seem to work either. As it would sometimes switch my stationary laptop from the faster 5GHz band to the slower 2.4GHz band, even though I was only a few feet from the parent node.

Another thing that was a disappointment was the seamless roaming, as it wasn't seamless. I would sit in my car and the internet didn't work, even though I was just about 20 feet from a node. I found out that my iPhone was still connected to my bedroom node, which was on the other side of the house.

I looked up solutions for the seamless roaming problem, and the support page said to turn of Wifi on the iPhone and turn it back on. It worked, but it wasn't what I considered "seamless".

As for switching to 2.4GHz band, and the slowdowns, I finally did some troubleshooting, and it turns out that the 2.4GHz band issues on both the AirPort and Linksys was because of over saturation of the band in my area.

I split the bands on the Mesh system, and kept most things on the 5Ghz band, but some of my devices will only connect to the 2.4GHz band.

I tried doing the channel finder, but the connection speed on 2.4GHz was still erratic. I talked to Linksys tech support and the higher tier tech support for many hours, trying things, testing, but in the end, there was not an improvement.

I ended up returning the Mesh system a few days before the return period ended, thinking I would try something else.

I went back to using my AirPort Extreme, but this time put almost everything on the 5GHz band, and I was surprised that the transfer speeds were actually much better on the aging AirPort than the new, updated tech Mesh system.

I then decided to get another AirPort Extreme for a fraction of the price of the Linksys Velop, and hardwire it into the network. I moved it close to my parking spot, and everything has been fine.

The 2.4GHz band still sucks, but the performance was actually better on the AirPort than the new Linksys.

I am unsure of what you will make of my story, but I guess what I am trying to say is that just because it is new, has great reviews, and expensive, doesn't mean it will be as good as your current setup.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
If only this was true....

Seamless node switching or roaming was one of the reasons why I tried out the highly rated, but expensive Linksys Tri-band Mesh system with three nodes back in 2020 to replace my aging 6th gen AirPort Extreme. Basically, I wanted to expand my network to get good coverage while I was outside of my then townhome's parking lot, warming my car, getting ready for my commute in the morning.

While seamless node switching was advertise, but didn't happen. I would still be connected to the network, but connected to a far-away node and not the one closest to me. I talked to technical service and was told to do exactly what you are saying would happen with the multiple AirPort Extremes, turn the wifi off from the device and back on. This was very disappointing.

Between that and many other issues, and also the fact that my old AirPort had faster transfer speeds than my modern mesh system (most of my devices are older, so can't take advantage of the faster wifi), I returned the Linksys.

After researching other mesh systems, I found that users were reporting similar issues, so I decided to go back to the old AirPort Extreme.

I have since purchased four more 6th gen AirPort Extremes on beat, for a total of 5 for my new single family home (still cheaper than the 3-node Linksys mesh system), and don't have an issue with signal on my iPhone when walking from one end of my home to the other.

BTW, I am not saying a mesh system wouldn't work for other people, but I was really disappointed with them. One day, I am sure I will have to replace my old AirPort system, I just hope they get better than they are now.

I posted about my experience with the mesh system here a while back:
Yeah with Gigabit speed, no doubt that my Netgear Orbi is much much fasteer than my AEs. Like you i had 5 AEs at one point in my house…all hardwired. AEs were reliable…loved them but i had transition issues when moving around the house. If i sat in one place, then it was fine. But sometimes, my iPhone would connect to the wrong node.

The Orbi Mesh is better at being seamless than my AEs. Obviously, speed is much better. But sometimes, my Orbi would randomly kick devices off and you cannot get back on it until you forget the network and re-log into it. And this is where i think maybe the Eero PRO will be better. I trust Amazon more than Netgear. I never liked Netgear (or Linksys) stuff in past wifi routers.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Check out Ubiquiti AmpliFi Alien 6..... Very similar in several ways to my previous AirPort Extreme and easy to set up. VERY fast and efficient in dealing with current WiFi 6 connection and my current ISP. It can be used as a MESH system or individually. I am in a small condo apartment unit and so the one freestanding unit is working just fine for me, but if someone is in a larger home they can purchase the devices to create a MESH system quite easily and conveniently.

Last edited:

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I’ve had very good luck with my ASUS routers. I’ve heard very good things about Ubiquiti, but they’re ever so slightly behind with the latest wifi standards, if that matters to you. Otherwise they seem quite good.

Reactions: kenny1wk

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
What speeds are you all getting wirelessly on your iPhones, iPads or Macs with these routers?

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
What speeds are you all getting wirelessly on your iPhones, iPads or Macs with these routers?
300-400 Mbps download Wifi speed With 13 Pro max and Netgear Orbi AX6000.

EDIT: my home wifi max speed is 1GB/s.

Last edited:

You’re not me

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
I recommended Ubiquity for ease of deployment and use. I do need 10gb wired speed so when I drew up my network diagram I just ended up going with all Cisco switches, edge router, access points, etc. Anyway without going into great detail, which no one would bother reading, I’ll just post my iPhone to iPad speed was averaging around 900mb - almost 1gb.

jimm1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2022
LAN mesh is required full stop. Using wifi for backhaul for extenders sucks. Nice in theory but hard wired is better. For example extender backhauled to extender by wifi, this extender backhauled to the core router by wifi . . A recipe for angry users of wifi.

Reactions: phillytim

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have been using 3 airport extremes connected via hardwire for a number of years and I am considering upgrading to something else. Our house is two stories and I currently have the three extremes (latest model) spread pretty evenly throughout the house. I have had to reboot them more often than I like lately and occasionally need to turn Wi-Fi on and off on my devices and establish a new connection.

The reasons to consider upgrading include: newer Wi-Fi technology, better performance and security.

We have about 30 devices on the network. I have maintained hardwire connections to the routers when possible so I would like the ability to do the same on a replacement (multiple ports).

What would you suggest upgrading to? Linksys? Netgear? TP-Link? Something else? The reason I am not really considering Google Wi-Fi or Eero is because they do not have more than one input for hardwire on each node.
I have tp-link m5. Two story house multiple multiple devices include smart home sensors. About 30-40 on the network and no issues. I only wish I had wireless time machine. Otherwise it’s a solid performer. No restarts needed for years. Best of all I got it for about $130 on Amazon (3 pack) and I sold one of the units for $40 and took that off the purchase price.

I had google mesh and google onhub as well as eero, orbi… But tp link has been solid for me. And it’s what I stuck with. I had gooogle mesh and onhub but they kept disconnecting and acting up.

elbert

Suspended
Jun 17, 2018
Ubiquiti UniFi

1 unit https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-unifi-os-consoles/products/udm-pro

3 units https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-6-long-range-access-point

udm-pro-integration.jpg

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yeah with Gigabit speed, no doubt that my Netgear Orbi is much much fasteer than my AEs. Like you i had 5 AEs at one point in my house…all hardwired. AEs were reliable…loved them but i had transition issues when moving around the house. If i sat in one place, then it was fine. But sometimes, my iPhone would connect to the wrong node.

The Orbi Mesh is better at being seamless than my AEs. Obviously, speed is much better. But sometimes, my Orbi would randomly kick devices off and you cannot get back on it until you forget the network and re-log into it. And this is where i think maybe the Eero PRO will be better. I trust Amazon more than Netgear. I never liked Netgear (or Linksys) stuff in past wifi routers.
I had issues with eero and orbi but tp link deco m5 has even awesome. No kick outs no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.