Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Just got a spare medium set from a local authorized reseller. 10 euros for two tips, so not quite the claimed $4 for six tips.

jazzimat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I just got my small extra tips from the Apple Store. You have to go thru the genius bar to get them, 1 pair for $4.28.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So I was able to get the replacement tips from my local Apple store her in Toronto, Canada. You have to make an appointment with the Genius Bar. It costs $5.19 for 2 small, or medium or Large. Got them all just to keep them in spare. They cost me around $17 with tax. They only had one of each.
Hope it helps View attachment 875145

Fellow Torontonian THANK YOU!

Reactions: faythebest

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Just got a spare medium set from a local authorized reseller. 10 euros for two tips, so not quite the claimed $4 for six tips.

What I inferred from the previous posts was it’s not $4 for 6 tips. It’s $4 per pair so $12 for a pair of each size.

I haven’t been following too much about the ear tips. Are you given only one size in the package or are these additional purchases due to damage from the packaging?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
What I inferred from the previous posts was it’s not $4 for 6 tips. It’s $4 per pair so $12 for a pair of each size.

I haven’t been following too much about the ear tips. Are you given only one size in the package or are these additional purchases due to damage from the packaging?
People want an extra set as a spare.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
There seems to be a sense of urgency in this thread, and I'm curious why? I've been using in ear Bluetooth headphones for years and never needed a replacement tip. These silicone tips are quite sturdy. It's good to know Apple will sell replacements, but why the urgency to get a spare when it's not yet needed?

Reactions: TravisPNW

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011

My understanding of the price came through a Twitter quote on Daring Fireball. Turned out to be false.

The APP come with a pair in each size. I needed a new medium pair to replace a tip damaged while removing a piece of packaging from it.

Reactions: J.Dillinger

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
There seems to be a sense of urgency in this thread, and I'm curious why? I've been using in ear Bluetooth headphones for years and never needed a replacement tip. These silicone tips are quite sturdy. It's good to know Apple will sell replacements, but why the urgency to get a spare when it's not yet needed?

I think we all just want to be prepared if it becomes a real need. I don't anticipate needing spares anytime soon, but if I don't get some now with my luck they will be harder to find when I really do need them.

• Haha

shinysideup

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2019
Made an appointment at one of our two stores in Calgary, and they didn’t have any replacement tips, yet. Bummer.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
My understanding of the price came through a Twitter quote on Daring Fireball. Turned out to be false.

The APP come with a pair in each size. I needed a new medium pair to replace a tip damaged while removing a piece of packaging from it.

I did the same and complained to Apple but no joy, just got told to buy some more from a store.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Picked my spare tips up today from a retail store....£3.76 in the dinkiest box

Attachments

• EEFBEC07-0C99-42CA-917B-DDD12FA40DC1.jpeg
    EEFBEC07-0C99-42CA-917B-DDD12FA40DC1.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 202

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Where they off the shelf or did you have to ask for them?
I called Apple Support and they put me through to my local store. They checked that they had them in stock and then I had to make a genius appointment and crazy as it seems, they had to mark the request up as "Lost tips".

Last edited:
Reactions: Pug72

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA

Agree with you on that. Been using silicon earbuds for the last 8-9 years and never lost one. It's the reason I got the APP. Apple finally wised up and went with the design over the trash one size fits all design that is the original AirPods.

Losing a tip just isn't a concern. Has anyone else noticed how they install? I even had somewhat of a difficult time removing the M size that were on it so I could install the L size.

But they are gonna fall off? Yeah right.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
I went to my local Apple Store and was
told I could wait 90 minutes for a Genius Bar to sell me the tips or make an appointment for a future Genius Bar. How insane is it that it takes and appointment to buy replacement/spare tips?!

• Haha

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Me too. Foam typically increases the bass response by a huge margin. I’m a big Comply Fan and can’t wait for them to sell some memory foam tips.

Sorry to be a skeptic, but I‘d be very surprised if any third party foam tip maker goes to the trouple of replicating this proprietary oval connection with little indents on each side. In my experience, Comply tips were a kludgy fit that relied on friction to stay put (and they cost too much and are too fragile). The best foam tips out there are by Shure, but they only fit narrow diameter canal buds, (I have had sets of Shure tips last for years).

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
They are going to have to make or keep these tips pretty cheap, since the tips can get PRETTY GRIMEY quickly being much more in ear canal than the regular AirPods.

MattX123

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
Just had my 3rd call with Apple regarding the replacement-tips. In the first two the answer of my question for replacement tips was just not available at the moment. But today I´ve been almost interrogated about why they are damaged and what exactly is damaged. I havent dared to say that I only want to get them in case of a damage because I thought that might lower my chances to get some. After a couple more questions about my iPhone, my iOS and my serial number the service operator told me that they are still not available as standalone product which can be ordered online and perhaps never will be but that there would be a chance that they are available in an Apple Store or at a service partner. The question if and in which store exactly was not possible for the operator to answer. As it seems to me this product is so rare right now that Apple tries anything that really only damaged ear-tips will be replaced and no one should get them as a spare part for stock. Thats really embarrassing, unprofessional and the most ridicoulus behaviour I´ve ever had to deal with from Apple.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I went to the Apple store, walked up to a Genius who didn’t appear busy and asked if they had the tips. He checked in the back room, came out with a little white box with a set of large tips and handed it to me. He said no charge.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I just chatted to support for the 2nd time regarding replacing a damaged large tip due to the card it attaches to coming away with it and blocking the hole.
Poked it out without realising the membrane and damaged it. Sounds good still but worried about water/sweat resistance being compromised.

Was offered a replacement but would have to put a hold charge on my card until they received the damaged tip.
Said I was happy to pay without sending damaged tip as probs inexpensive and was charged £17 for a full set. Bit more than I expected but, ah well.

Will either sell on the medium & small tips or keep as spares to sweeten the deal when I inevitably upgrade in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.