Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tovenaar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
I'm having the same problem (UAE here). I contacted Apple Support and they said that the have been restricted by the UAE from playing explicit music.

Whether this is a preemptive move by Apple as someone suggested or an actual restriction it doesn't make any sense because NO other service is restricting content this way so this is basically Apple shooting themselves in the foot.

And I actually wouldn't have cared if it was just music since I am (and now will remain) a Spotify user, but they're applying the same restrictions on Podcasts!! Seriously Apple?

Someone messed up.

FloridaGary

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Although my restrictions are set to explicit, it's greyed out and couldn't change it if I wanted to. So far this is the first and only issue I've seen after updating to 8.4.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I'm having the same problem (UAE here). I contacted Apple Support and they said that the have been restricted by the UAE from playing explicit music.

Whether this is a preemptive move by Apple as someone suggested or an actual restriction it doesn't make any sense because NO other service is restricting content this way so this is basically Apple shooting themselves in the foot.

And I actually wouldn't have cared if it was just music since I am (and now will remain) a Spotify user, but they're applying the same restrictions on Podcasts!! Seriously Apple?

Someone messed up.

I agree with you completely!

I use Spotify for music too.. So I don't care about that but to block podcasts, is just plain stupid.

droidgod

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
What's up with banning stuff in India though? There is no law preventing explicit songs streaming. If there was, it would be taken up by the media and we wouldn't hear the end of it. :D

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Let's just wait for Apple Customer Care to get back to us. But I have a feeling that they won't be very helpful.

paneesh_huehue

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015
here is the funny thing about this idiotic stuff by Apple. Let me give you an example. I listen to Megadeth's "Peace Sells.." Album. It is marked as Explicit in Apple Music. It is greyed out on my iPad as expected(as per this and my thread). Now i went on iTunes(mac as well as PC) and searched Apple Music for the same "Peace Sells.." album and voila it is marked Explicit but NOT Greyed out.

I even listened to all the songs on the album(even checked the track numbers on the internet).

Here is what is even funnier, if you try to add that album to your library, then only a few songs get added(presumably the songs that are not Explicit). BUT you can stream the whole album.

LOL & WTF @ :apple:

:confused::mad:o_O
I really don't understand why Apple is creating a lot of confusions and disasters ever since the release of iOS 8.4.

paneesh_huehue

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015
Let's just wait for Apple Customer Care to get back to us. But I have a feeling that they won't be very helpful.
Let me just assume that they're gonna ask you to switch OFF the phone and turn it back ON and it doesn't resolve obviously, so they'll guide you to restore your phone; And it...doesn't get resolved. So they call it a bug and that they'll let Apple know about it, which will never happen. I'm kind of pessimistic in this case.
But I strongly hope they contact you ASAP and provide some legitimate reasons; Reasons that does not justify blocking Explicit content in India.
And hey, let us know if/when they contact you.

Cortex.ae

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
  • OMG !! So i am not the only one facing this problem !! How stupid from Apple!! I am from UAE and every explicit song is greyed out on my itunes list !! this is so stupid ?? anyone help!

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
I WANT to block this content yet it doesn't work for me. Streaming still plays explicit music.

droidgod

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
honest reason is that Apple does not care a damn about India or its Indian Customers. Honestly....Thats why they have Apple Retail stores all over some country like Hong Kong but not a single one here in India... There was one Apple Store(franchised) which now also sells Samsung Galaxy S6 with a biiig poster of in in front.

So maybe in next 6-7 years when China is a saturated market, they will come knocking on the doors of Indians asking for their money. Then we will get our questions answered in 10 minutes.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
I'm in the US and have never had this restriction problem until I upgraded to iOS 10 on both my iPad and iPhone. For whatever reason Tim Cook has decided I should no longer be able to listen to a couple of my favorite Podcasts. When I go to Settings/General, Restrictions show as Off, yet I am in fact restricted. Allowed Content for Music, Podcasts & News shows as Clean. This shouldn't have any impact as I have Restrictions off. But hey, why not set to None to be safe. When I Enable Restrictions to give me access to Restrictions, Music, Podcasts & News, Movies and TV Shows remain greyed out and I can't change anything! Ridiculous. I have an appointment at the Genius Bar next Tuesday. They are jammed until then.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
So now apple lets you select Explicit content within Restrictions but still no change in the actual outcome. If you are linked to the Indian iTunes/Apple store you will not get any tracks marked wit E (explicit).

Needless to say, I'm still a loyal Spotify user, which btw also has the better user interface.

Tovenaar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
I spoke with Apple support a couple of years ago about this (UAE here). They said that due to government policy they've decided not to allow explicit content for this country.

In any case I found Spotify to be a far better choice than Apple Music so this doesn't really bother me. It's a bit annoying for podcasts though.

Samara1988

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017

Someone messed up.
[doublepost=1502717810][/doublepost]How you use Spotify in dubai?

evicq

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
The link you sent suggest to just go to settings>general>restrictions>Music,Podcasts..>Turn Explicit On but if you check the image on my original post, the Music,Podcasts&iTunesU is greyed out so we cannot toggle the switch between clean & explicit. Problem is unfortunately still very much unresolved.

On iOS 12.1.4 it worked for me. Settings> ScreenTime> Content&PrivacyRestritcions> ContentRestrictions> Music,Podcasts&News then check "Explicit". It's not so intuitive to get into ScreenTime for this, but...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.