Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

link92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
http://geoffers.uni.cc/

I launched the design around a month ago, and since then I've pretty much ironed out most of the bugs. There's only one I know of, and that's only in IE/Win and only on pages with a <pre>.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Well, the technicle side is flawless as it validates as perfect XHTML 1.1 along with CSS. Yay! The design is also nice and relaxing, the colors are easy on the eyes, and I have seen no bugs in Firefox 1.5 RC3. Double yay!

llama :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
The border around the content area (just outside the drop shadow) isn't the same as the background...is that intentional?

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
It's nice, one minor detail though: the border (shadow) doesn't blend to well with the background. It's not immediatly apparent on Safari because it adjusts to the width of the page, but on other browsers you can see a rectangle surrounding the shadow. Otherwise it's cool

edit: oops, munkle beat me to it

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
It's the same problem I was having with .jpgs in Safari/Photoshop. Firefox and IE display the colors as intended:

I never figured out how to solve it - I just used gifs in place of the jpgs.

Firefox:

attachment.php

Safari:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 433

londonweb

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
london
munkle said:
The border around the content area (just outside the drop shadow) isn't the same as the background...is that intentional?

It could be to do with web-safe colours- when you designed the images did you use photoshop with the pallette set to 'web'? Just an idea. Also, Macs use a default gamma value 1.8 whereas windows uses 2.2, and again perhaps it's something to do with that. I'm stabbing in the dark here really, because I'm not sure. I've had some weird problems with my own sites that are only apparent under Safari...

rozwell

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2004
i have to ask... what is with the drop shadow? huge, obvious drop shadows are NOT good unless you are animating 3d objects or doing motion graphics... the big drop shadow is running rampant around the web attacking sites left and right... i say we start here and rise against the drop shadow.

beyond that, like other users said, your tech side is fine. as for visuals, others have pointed out the color issues.

as a general rule, to see what other designers are doing, check out design portals such as news today, design is kinky or k10k. there are tons out there and they show the best of the best digital artists.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
link92 said:
Why are you all saying I use jpegs? They're all pngs...

Pngs or jpgs both gave me the same result as you are having in your blog. I resorted to gifs, and the problem was corrected.

rozwell said:
i have to ask... what is with the drop shadow? huge, obvious drop shadows are NOT good unless you are animating 3d objects or doing motion graphics... the big drop shadow is running rampant around the web attacking sites left and right... i say we start here and rise against the drop shadow.

beyond that, like other users said, your tech side is fine. as for visuals, others have pointed out the color issues.

It's all about personal tastes and preferences. Mine are similar to yours obviously, I like a flatter look. I hacked on one of the stock themes for my own WordPress page, to give it a monochromatic, flat look consistent with the overall "theme" of my site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.