Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
  • Are any of you deliberately running older versions of iOS on your iOS devices?
  • And in what combination?
  • What does it feel like to use older versions of iOS as time goes on?
I’ve noticed that iOS 11 has increasingly made people who are iOS upgrade holdouts viewed as visionaries rather than as stubborn eccentrics!

I’m speaking as someone who really enjoyed using iOS 10 on my 7 and have regretted every day that I pressed the install button to upgrade to 11.

So I’m interested in hearing from those who have the 7 series & iOS 10, 6s series & SE and iOS 9 etc etc.

P.S. apologies if this topic has been discussed before - I couldn’t find it on the forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Me. I hate ios 11 which is why I kept my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen on ios 10. I am intending to not install ios 13 on my iPhone X. iOS 12 fixes ios 11 otherwise I wouldn’t have upgraded hat either.

Reactions: bluecoast

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I instruct everyone not to update at home, as in my opinion, iOS updates decrease the quality of the device.
Therefore, I am running:
iOS 10 on an iPhone 7+ and an iPhone 6s
iOS 9 on a 9.7 iPad Pro and an iPhone 6s
iOS 8 on an iPhone 5s
iOS 6 on an iPod Touch 5G
iOS 5 on an iPod Touch 4G
Of all these, the only one which was updated was the iPod Touch 4G from iOS 4, to have iMessage. It is still fast. The rest, it's the iOS version they came with (time of purchase altered it. I bought the 5s on 2015. That's why it has iOS 8. Same with the 6s, although both 6s were bought the same day. Pure luck).

Reactions: janeauburn

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iPhone 6s+ on iOS 9.0.2.
iPhone 4s on iOS 6.1.3

My iPhone 5 and my 6th Gen iPad run iOS 10 and iOS 11 though.

My 6s+ is my primary phone. It stays on iOS 9 because it's jailbroken. The only reason my iPhone 5 is on iOS 10 is because it's the third replacement since 2012. It's hard to stay on earlier versions of iOS when the replacement has a new version.

mccjim12

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Stamford, CT
I run 9.3.3 on my 2016 SE. Runs really well and serves my needs so I have never updated it. I am also generally averse to iOS upgrades. Never did one except when I had my iPhone 4, taking it from 4 (I think) to 6. I have considered upgrading my SE to 12 though as I have heard nothing but good things.

I also just bought an iPod Touch 4G that is of course maxed out on iOS6.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I run 9.3.3 on my 2016 SE. Runs really well and serves my needs so I have never updated it. I am also generally averse to iOS upgrades. Never did one except when I had my iPhone 4, taking it from 4 (I think) to 6. I have considered upgrading my SE to 12 though as I have heard nothing but good things.

I also just bought an iPod Touch 4G that is of course maxed out on iOS6.
That's nice. The A9 chip flies on iOS 9. Also, the SE is really comfortable to use and carry. I would strongly advise you to stay on iOS 9.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
  • Are any of you deliberately running older versions of iOS on your iOS devices?
  • And in what combination?
  • What does it feel like to use older versions of iOS as time goes on?
I’ve noticed that iOS 11 has increasingly made people who are iOS upgrade holdouts viewed as visionaries rather than as stubborn eccentrics!

I’m speaking as someone who really enjoyed using iOS 10 on my 7 and have regretted every day that I pressed the install button to upgrade to 11.

So I’m interested in hearing from those who have the 7 series & iOS 10, 6s series & SE and iOS 9 etc etc.

P.S. apologies if this topic has been discussed before - I couldn’t find it on the forums.

I have a 6 Plus running iOS 9, and I regret having updated from iOS 8.
[doublepost=1542821074][/doublepost]
I instruct everyone not to update at home, as in my opinion, iOS updates decrease the quality of the device.
Therefore, I am running:
iOS 10 on an iPhone 7+ and an iPhone 6s
iOS 9 on a 9.7 iPad Pro and an iPhone 6s
iOS 8 on an iPhone 5s
iOS 6 on an iPod Touch 5G
iOS 5 on an iPod Touch 4G
Of all these, the only one which was updated was the iPod Touch 4G from iOS 4, to have iMessage. It is still fast. The rest, it's the iOS version they came with (time of purchase altered it. I bought the 5s on 2015. That's why it has iOS 8. Same with the 6s, although both 6s were bought the same day. Pure luck).

Good approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.