Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
About a week ago my flashed 7950 died on me (I'm using a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1) and I opted into buying a Biostar RX 560 as a replacement. GPU seems to work fine in macOS, used it for 48 hours or so without a single issue, but I'm having constant problems in Windows. I randomly get GPU crashes (Audio still plays in background for a couple seconds and then stops.) The first time it crashes within an hour and a half, the 2nd crash happened within 4 hours and then 3rd and 4th happened within an hour aswell. The GPU isn't hot, never gets above 60c under load; and everything else is exactly the same as it was with the old GPU.

This led to me to think that it's a windows problem, maybe something is funky and it just needs a re-install. I finally re-installed, completely fresh/wiped the drive; installed a couple programs and the latest AMD driver. Used it moderately just playing video for about 20 minutes and it crashed, exact same as before but different color (last crash was orange, this was blue).

I'm completely clueless on what the problem is since it seems to work fine in macOS but constantly crashes in windows where the previous GPU was fine. Any ideas or thoughts? I really want to figure this out.

UnMix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
What drivers for the new card did you put into Windows?
Whatever the latest drivers were, non-beta and I also tried the beta drivers. Not sure what it is on macOS but I still had crashes so it might not be the GPU after all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.