Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
G3 AIO running 10.2.6 used in my classroom. I was logged in on my admin account with system preferences open. I had to leave the computer for a minute and in that time one of my students set the startup disk to "network" and restarted. Naturally there is no network to startup from. The machine just sits there with a grey screen for hours now. It never gets bored of looking for a network and loads off the hard drive. I can't boot from a CD either. It seems like I have to reset something on the board but I don't know what. Ideas?

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
You can reset the setting for startup disk as well as other settings by resetting the PRAM. To do this, after the chime, simply hold down the command-option-p-r keys until you hear the computer chime twice more. Release the keys and the computer should be working again!
(this will reset your time, sound and a few other settings also)

=Ajmbc=

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Aha--PRAM. Thanks. That sounds like it should do it.

I tried option but got the same blank screen. Is it just a feature on newer Macs maybe? I thought that would be a quick fix.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Try holding down d (as opposed to c) at startup. *shrugs* Dunno if it'll work on a machine that new, but according to a Macintosh SE manual I found, that's the key to force-boot from the HD.

Why can't you boot from a CD though?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
if the option key doesn't work (it's on all macs running OS X at any rate, my imac g3 400 has it), PRAM and CUDS are your only options. I hope it's the former, because not everyone is comfortable inside a computer, especially an AIO... i don't remember if Apple had figured out the concept of accessibility by that point in time, you may be taking quite a bit of case off...

pnw

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
The AIO is fairly accessible. The chassis slides out the back and after you disconnect the power supply and CRT wires you can pull it completely out--you just have to slide it a little way to access the logic board though. It's set up in typical Mac fashion apart from being a bit cramped. I've had it completely apart before but I don't remember seeing the magic red button.

As for why it won't boot from CD--who knows. The drive works once the computer is running. This computer hasn't lived a happy life--5 years of abusive kids and caretakers who weren't Mac users--until I got it a couple months ago.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
You don't need to zap the PRAM. Holding down option really should work, but you need to do it as soon as the computer starts up, not just after you hear the chime. If that does not work, insert an install cd and hold down c, boot from that, then change the start up disk from System Preferences.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by LimeLite
You don't need to zap the PRAM. Holding down option really should work, but you need to do it as soon as the computer starts up, not just after you hear the chime. If that does not work, insert an install cd and hold down c, boot from that, then change the start up disk from System Preferences.

Have you ever tried this on an older mac like the one described? The option key trick is only on the "New World ROM" Macs, ie the iMac 350's and newer. Beige G3's like this one work completely differently in firmware and ROM, the option key trick will not work. Reset P-RAM or the CUDA switch, the C key with a CD inserted should work though. I occassionally have problems booting OS X on my old beige G3 and just continually reseting PRAM usually solves it.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
And the winner is...RESET THE PRAM! :D

I started it up this morning, tried "option" again--no dice (hadn't read amnesiac1984's message yet but suspected as much). Started up again command-option-p-r--gong click click gong--boots to OS X.

5300cs: No need to expel the kid--I took care of him. If his mom asks where he is, just play dumb.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice! And let me just say also what a great machine those G3 All-In-Ones are! Although they're nearly 6 years old they're still very useful. It's "only" a 233 G3 but it's got pci slots and takes 700+MB of RAM. The only drawbacks are the color (beige), weight, and they need an AGP keyboard or they won't start. Apart from that--great. Runs Jaguar without a problem and stands up to abuse well. How many 6 year old Dells can you say that about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.