Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8ght

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
After I updated to Catalina my Safari ad blocker Wipr is turned off every time I switch user and need to log in again. I figured it might be a problem with Wipr so I tried a few others including AdGuard but they all exhibit the same behaviour. Opening Safari preferences and enabling Wipr works fine but it is a nuisance to have to enable it manually.

Is there something wrong with my installation / settings or what do I need to do to get it working again?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm using Wipr with the latest Catalina and I'm not seeing that problem at all. When you say turned off... you mean it gets unchecked in the Extensions Safari pref pane?

• Haha
Reactions: autrefois

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I'm using Wipr with the latest Catalina and I'm not seeing that problem at all. When you say turned off... you mean it gets unchecked in the Extensions Safari pref pane?
If my memory doesn't fail me, isn't whitelisting a site with WIPR a hassle? I remember it can't be done easily like with ABP or others where you simply click on the icon in the browser and whitelist the site.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If my memory doesn't fail me, isn't whitelisting a site with WIPR a hassle? I remember it can't be done easily like with ABP or others where you simply click on the icon in the browser and whitelist the site.
Very easy to whitelist. You just use Safari's built in method for disabling content blockers site by site.

This way the adblocker does not ever have access to your data (if that is a concern). Those adblockers that have their own GUI for whitelisting usually require full access to your web browsing data.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.22.43 AM.png

Reactions: Super Spartan

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes, all 3 check boxes gets unchecked in the extensions pane.
Hmmm... Sounds like I have the same setup as you, and I'm not seeing that. It is odd it does it with other extensions also. Do you have some other extensions besides the content blocker that might be causing a conflict?

8ght

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Wipr is the only extension I have installed and I have tried deleting it and installing it again.

I have some other annoyances with Catalina and now I wonder if they are related to this. Switching users is slower than expected and sometimes when I open Safari it opens but I cannot type anything in the address bar. Closing and reopening Safari does not change this. The workaround I have found is to go to the login window, after login Safari works as expected again.

Mail also have a similar problem, but instead of not being able to type in the address bar, the top menu bar indicates Mail is active but no window is shown. Closing and reopening does nothing but using the login workaround does the trick.

Perhaps I need to reinstall the computer...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just as a test, try holding the shift key at boot to boot to safe mode. That stops any launch and startup items from running. If that fixes it, it tells you either a launch or startup item is causing this.

8ght

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
It turns out that with a regular restart (without holding down the shift key) Safari and Wipr works fine again. I can quit Safari (right click and select quit) and open it again with Wipr still activated.

But as soon as I switch user back and forth Wipr is disabled. Activating Wipr works fine as long as I do not quit Safari. When I quit Safari and open it again Wipr is disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.