Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Safari isn't keeping a record of my history after each session and all of my previous history is gone . I can no longer see website suggestions when I enter the first few letters of a website. This all started about a week ago but before that it was fine . Is there something changed in the settings ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Safari isn't keeping a record of my history after each session and all of my previous history is gone . I can no longer see website suggestions when I enter the first few letters of a website. This all started about a week ago but before that it was fine . Is there something changed in the settings ?
Go to Safari > Preferences > General and see what is selected for "Remove history items:"

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

Are you sure you're not in Private Browsing mode? No history is stored while you're in this mode (address bar has a dark background). File | Close Window gets rid of the current private window if that's the case.

anonymous4a

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
For general > preferences .. I selected "remove history items manually" . Is that right ?

I am not in private browsing mode , whenever I quit out of safari and open it back up , I lose all my history from my previous session .

I used to have 1+ years worth of history in safari and up until last week , it's no longer showing up in safari . BUT when I go to

/library/safari/history.plist , I can clearly see history.plist ( about 20 mb)

MrOutlaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
I had the same problem for the last 7 days
and didn´t know where it came from.

The solution was to delete all history and data
via the last option in the history field.

Maybe this will help one another.

Greets from Germany

Mysha

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Hello, was there ever a fix found on this problem with safari all of a sudden not saving browsing history. My history is cleared every day even when the window stays open. I'm on remove history manually, I don't see any extensions or plugins... Any suggestions?

skorpeon

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
Hello, was there ever a fix found on this problem with safari all of a sudden not saving browsing history. My history is cleared every day even when the window stays open. I'm on remove history manually, I don't see any extensions or plugins... Any suggestions?
same problem ! did all the above still the same issue ( doesnt save website, have to type them in all other again, even Clear History is set to manually, i dont use private safari, and even when safari stays live the history just dissapear

Arabic guy

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
Hi,
If you have devices connect to your iCloud and one of them is tick clear hestory will effect all devices
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.