Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
Hello everyone.

I have noticed various bugs since I upgraded to High Sierra almost one year ago (this has been the release with the most bugs for me) and some of them have remained consistent throughout the various updates that 10.13 has received. I am currently running 10.13.5.

There are two glitches I've noticed on Safari while playing back video in full-screen. They seem to happen randomly so I have no idea what causes them or how to fix them. Both of them happen after the player controls have disappeared.
(See images attached for both)

No.1: Stuttering Video

stutter_bug.gif

No.2: Diagonal Stretch on Video

before.jpg after.jpg

As you can see on the second one the image stretches and wraps around the screen.
After moving the cursor on both occasions the glitch goes away and comes back after the cursor disappears again.

Has anyone else seen this or found a fix? It's really annoying having to watch videos in windowed mode.
PS: I had to use my phone to capture the bugs, because during screen capture they would go away.

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
I have exactly problem No.2, and I hope someone steps in here to help us. :)

Yes, I think this could be somewhat widespread, since I haven't tweaked my computer much or added many non-apple apps.
On which mac does this happen for you? I have an early 2015 MacBook Air.

I also noticed this doesn't occur on Chrome.

attackment

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Modena
Yes, I think this could be somewhat widespread, since I haven't tweaked my computer much or added many non-apple apps.
On which mac does this happen for you? I have an early 2015 MacBook Air.

I also noticed this doesn't occur on Chrome.

It happens on a MacBook Air 7,1 (11" Early 2015).
It happens only on Safari, Chrome works OK.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I don't see any of that. I'm on 10.13.5 with a late 2013 15" rMBP and a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1. Always watch full screen on Safari with no problems.

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
I don't see any of that. I'm on 10.13.5 with a late 2013 15" rMBP and a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1. Always watch full screen on Safari with no problems.
Hmm... Then perhaps it's a MacBook Air issue... If we get more MBA users to chime in we could figure this out. It could have something to do also with non-Retina displays and Metal. What kind of display is your Mac Pro connected to?

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Hmm... Then perhaps it's a MacBook Air issue... If we get more MBA users to chime in we could figure this out. It could have something to do also with non-Retina displays and Metal. What kind of display is your Mac Pro connected to?

Regular non-retna Apple 27" display.

Tsuchan21

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2018
I have retina 13' MacBook Pro early 2015. I have same problem as you guys have for number 2 but the problem issued in iTunes, not safari... but I found workaround which I adjust display from default to scaled and press any button except default for scaled.

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
I have retina 13' MacBook Pro early 2015. I have same problem as you guys have for number 2 but the problem issued in iTunes, not safari... but I found workaround which I adjust display from default to scaled and press any button except default for scaled.

That's right... I had forgotten this also showed up in iTunes for me a couple of times... It might be a bug in the Metal API, since previous versions of macOS didn't have these issues.

Thanks for the trick, I will try it and see if it works, but this really needs to be fixed. I urge you to go to the apple feedback form and report this also, so that we can get a fix.

Tsuchan21

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2018
Oh yeah I already report this problem four times so we are stuck with this workaround or downgrade to Sierra which it still works perfectly with recent iTunes... so does it work or not for safari issue number 2? Also I'm sorry I can't help you with issue number 1...

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
Oh yeah I already report this problem four times so we are stuck with this workaround or downgrade to Sierra which it still works perfectly with recent iTunes... so does it work or not for safari issue number 2? Also I'm sorry I can't help you with issue number 1...

Hello!
So, I tried the workaround you suggested on safari, and it didn't work for either of the issues... I still have hope that there will be a 10.13.7 update that will solve all these issues.

Tsuchan21

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2018
Hey,
I'm sorry to hear that workaround solution are not working for you... so did you update to 13.6? All I advised that you guys might need to feedback to apple inc about this safari situation. I'm on Sierra on my original partition and download Mojave public beta on second partition: they finally fixed that iTunes video situation... but you can wait for Mojave public release until then, either you can downgrade to Sierra (for that you need to backup from that Time Machine) but I doubt that you like it or you stuck with High Sierra and you could wait for Mojave public release... I heard that there is 13.6 is last version for High Sierra... also you could check Apple community for solution as well... I'm curious which video are you checking on safari issues; I could check it on Mojave beta for you (if I did check and didn't work; I will report it as beta issue)... but sadly I heard that beta 4 just came out for developers so...

Nathan1969

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018
Hello everyone.

I have noticed various bugs since I upgraded to High Sierra almost one year ago (this has been the release with the most bugs for me) and some of them have remained consistent throughout the various updates that 10.13 has received. I am currently running 10.13.5.

There are two glitches I've noticed on Safari while playing back video in full-screen. They seem to happen randomly so I have no idea what causes them or how to fix them. Both of them happen after the player controls have disappeared.

View attachment 767200

View attachment 767203 View attachment 767204

As you can see on the second one the image stretches and wraps around the screen.
After moving the cursor on both occasions the glitch goes away and comes back after the cursor disappears again.

Has anyone else seen this or found a fix? It's really annoying having to watch videos in windowed mode.
PS: I had to use my phone to capture the bugs, because during screen capture they would go away.
[doublepost=1538913600][/doublepost]I have been having the exact same issue diagonal image ( No 2) On my brand new Mac book air. I am running High Sierra.10.13.6
Any news on a fix?

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
still not fixed for me. Any known workarounds other than changing the resolution?
Sadly, we haven't found anything still. Some people say this gets fixed on macOS Mojave 10.14.1, but not everyone has a compatible machine, of course.

Also, I discovered a new way to cause this glitch, by scaling a full screen video using the touchpad and stopping mid-scale.
[doublepost=1539076595][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1538913600][/doublepost]I have been having the exact same issue diagonal image ( No 2) On my brand new Mac book air. I am running High Sierra.10.13.6
Any news on a fix?

It seems like Apple won't be issuing another update to High Sierra, and will be fixing this during the Mojave cycle...
No known fixes at the moment, however using another browser works for some people.

Reactions: Nathan1969

Nathan1969

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2018
Sadly, we haven't found anything still. Some people say this gets fixed on macOS Mojave 10.14.1, but not everyone has a compatible machine, of course.

Also, I discovered a new way to cause this glitch, by scaling a full screen video using the touchpad and stopping mid-scale.
[doublepost=1539076595][/doublepost]

It seems like Apple won't be issuing another update to High Sierra, and will be fixing this during the Mojave cycle...
No known fixes at the moment, however using another browser works for some people.
Thanks for the feed back

lintabutt

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for the feed back
im having the exact same problem but in both safari and chrome - however, Firefox seems to be working perfectly fine for now. Is anyone else having issues with chrome too??
[doublepost=1539468862][/doublepost]
Hello everyone.

View attachment 767200

View attachment 767203 View attachment 767204

I'm seeing some glitches too when I'm in full screen on either Netflix or youtube both in safari and chrome...is it happening only on chrome for you? I recently purchased the Mac so im really worried its something serious but the guys at the apple store advised me to wait for the next update!

thanos.nik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Greece
im having the exact same problem but in both safari and chrome - however, Firefox seems to be working perfectly fine for now. Is anyone else having issues with chrome too??
[doublepost=1539468862][/doublepost]

I'm seeing some glitches too when I'm in full screen on either Netflix or youtube both in safari and chrome...is it happening only on chrome for you? I recently purchased the Mac so im really worried its something serious but the guys at the apple store advised me to wait for the next update!

So far I have only noticed this in Safari and iTunes, not in Google Chrome. I don't use it very often though, so that could be the reason... It's good to know that Apple is probably working on this, but I think they should not leave High Sierra behind and issue a fix for that too (as 10.13.7), otherwise for people that cannot upgrade to Mojave, the best solution would be to downgrade to Sierra.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
yes Apple is working on this, but i hope they will fix safari in both High Sierra and Mojave

gelazari

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Problem still here with latest Mojave. Do we have an official answer from Apple? What's the deal with this issue?

gelazari

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
Does this also happen on 10.14.2? Which of the two issues are you having? Stuttering video or skewed?

I'm having the random vertical stretches along the y-axis, when for example, watching Netflix in fullscreen Safari and I also have something like white flashes in between frames when streaming video in general.

td77

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
Hi ,

I think I found the problem. It's occurring when you change zoom in settings of the website.
When is set to 100% everything is fine. When is lower than 100% then is problem with video.

Maybe this solve your problem :)

Last edited:

ye_sobreiro

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2020
I have the solution for No.2. Change the resolution of your display in system preferences. Your image won't look as nice but the problem seems to get fixed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.