Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Why do I get messages from Safari on seemingly every other link I click in these forums saying "Safari could not load any data from this location"? Refreshing usually works, but I've gotten the same error twice to five times in a row. What's going on here?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i thought that they had fixed that but with safari, guess not

a surefire way to get rid of it would be to use Camino or FF (i prefer the former myself)

i suppose you could empty the caches or reset safari to see if that does any good, but i doubt it, i used to get that every now and then, but not as bad as some people report

sorry dude

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just Safari? Firefox or another browser works OK? Also: which version of Safari (I assume the latest)? I'm on 1.2.4 (was using developer beta of 1.3 and loved it but wanted PithHelmet, so went back to 1.2), and I see no problems on this site - other sites, yes, which make me wonder why Safari 1.3 hasn't been released yet, but nothing here.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
I used to get this ... I found a workaround on the official Apple support boards, I think, that involved setting the DNS servers on the clients on my LAN (I used the LAN address of my router, and 127.0.0.1). That fixed almost all of it.

But since I went to 10.3.7 I have never had this problem, and I thought that was the general experience

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Yes the problem is a bug in Safari (or was it OS X?) where DNS queries time out ultra-quickly when dealing with slow to respond DNS servers. Supposedly this was fixed quite a few revs ago of 10.3 (or was it a Safari update?).

Re-apply the combo updater. Try mcgarry's suggestion.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
This is kind of spooky, but I have noticed links in this forum behaving oddly tonight ... just tonight, but it probably started before my previous post, I just hadn't thought anything of it. I never have to click more than twice, and it only happens sometimes. Odd, but since it isn't happening anywhere else, I don't think much of it.

Anyway, if your problem is somehow the old DNS issue, my workaround is probably printed innumerable other places on this forum and elsewhere. But to be clear, I am talking about going into your network control panel and manually specifying 1) your router's LAN-side IP address and 2) 127.0.0.1 as DNS servers. Your router should still have real DNS server values of its own, of course. This is not a fix, just a workaround. It took 10.3.7 to fix the problem, for me. In any case, this worked in the interim for me when I had the old problem.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
It only does it at certain times of the day. Right now, it's fine. When I posted that thread was a different story altogether. I experience it most often here (maybe because I spend a significant % of my time on the Internet here).

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2003
I got that all the time too, once I updated to 10.3.8. Now I don't get it anymore. I just use FireFox. I've been converted. Camino is nice, more mac-like, but for some reason, FireFox seems more polished. I dislike the little folder's on my bookmark bar too. Firefox is quick, stable, and well, it works. No frustration at all. I do hope Safari works out their problems with another OSX update, and/or Tiger.

Still beats Windows stuff hands down. I started up my wifes Dell (I can't get her to use a mac---yet!!!) and updated her MSN Messenger. Very nice too. Little box with tabs for her hotmail (which is getting tougher to get to each day-but that's another story), news and Today type items. Anyway, the machine went to sleep and when she got up today, and I went to show her the MSN box, of course, it was gone---like gone. I just chuckled and went back to the Mac.

BUT speaking of this MSN type info page, boy wouldn't it be nice if Apple had a similar one to MSN, or better yet, Yahoo. Dialog center, with tabs, with quick access to our mail, news, stocks, sports, etc

Frank

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I get this too with Safari. It only seemed to happen for me after 10.3.8. It seems, for me at least, the last couple of updates haven't been that great.

I have noticed as well Safari's inability to open sites seems to occur at certain times of the day (late afternoon/early evening). It's really very annoying and so I usually just forget about using the web during that time.

I'm tempted to go with FireFox, but will wait for Tiger first to see if that corrects the problem. If not I'm taking the advice from people here and other forums and going with FireFox.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is, at most, a minor annoyance. It only gets maddening when it occurs several times in a row. For right now, I'm just going to put up with it and hope Safari 2.0 in Tiger fixes it. Although I advocate Firefox use on Windows, and I think that, for some people, the Mac version of Firefox is the best choice, I don't like Firefox for Mac very much (nor do I like Camino) - so I won't use it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The Firefox interface under Mac OSX feels a bit too flakey to be used exclusively. One of the strengths of Safari is that it feels more solid. It is hard to expain.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Bern said:

I have noticed as well Safari's inability to open sites seems to occur at certain times of the day (late afternoon/early evening). It's really very annoying and so I usually just forget about using the web during that time.

I can assure you that Safari does not change from hour to hour. Many sites are down for updates at certain times of the day. Some may be may be difficult to access due to the traffic on the network. But, you say that other browsers can access your favorite site while Safari can't? Look at your cache seetings. Firefox may be accessing your cache rather than your favorite site when it is not accessible.

Southbridge

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
Astoria, NY
Lacero said:
The Firefox interface under Mac OSX feels a bit too flakey to be used exclusively. One of the strengths of Safari is that it feels more solid. It is hard to expain.

um... because it's an Apple product, and we only use Apple products here.

Apple toilet cleaner? YES PLEASE!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Lacero said:

I like the Safari interface better, and the way Safari does bookmarks better, and the way that Safari's tab bar looks and the fact that it is smaller than on FireFox, and although it isn't quite as fast as FireFox it is fast enough and I like the the interface that much better.

I do have FireFox installed.

And yknow what? Just to mess all of you up... I use Lynx too. So there. :p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
yellow said:
Yes the problem is a bug in Safari (or was it OS X?) where DNS queries time out ultra-quickly when dealing with slow to respond DNS servers. Supposedly this was fixed quite a few revs ago of 10.3 (or was it a Safari update?).

Re-apply the combo updater. Try mcgarry's suggestion.

One would think that Apple can get this right by now. Have done the DNS thing, and it seems to have helped. Though it still happens time to time still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.