Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
With Safari Push Notifications enabled for websites (e.g.: MacRumors, 9to5mac, eBay, etc), and showing up as "Allow" in Safari Preferences, they still don't push notifications. Temporarily, they work following them being removed, and revisiting the website involved to add them again. However, as soon as one reboots, they never work again.

I've scoured around, and while I've found a couple questions posted on the Apple Support forums, there have been no answers. Has anybody else experienced this issue, and ideally fixed it?

Of note, I had this originally on an rMBP, and still have it on the iMac that replaced it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Pushes have been weird recently.

I stopped getting website pushes for a week or so. Not sure why. Not just one site, all sites. I'm getting them from MacRumors now, but not others.

Try deleting and resubscribing. Other than that, not sure.

arn

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeh, I've had the issue pretty much since back when it launched with Mavericks, and every time I thought it had it beaten, and had notifications working for a bit, then a little while later, they'd stop. Got me baffled.

dan-at-roost

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
We've seen this happen from time to time with some of our customers and their site visitors. (I work for Roost - We do push notifications for websites.)

For whatever reason it seems that sometimes Safari will corrupt data an push will go wacky. This can cause prompts not appearing again, even after subscriptions have been deleted - or messages not being properly delivered.

You can resolve this by completely clearing your browser's history / settings.

It's a two-step process.

1) With Safari open - in the top left menu, click on Safari -> Reset Safari

2) Now with Safari closed, in the finder menu click on Go -> Go to Folder then enter ~/Library/Safari and click Go - In this window, open the RemoteNotifications directory - select all - Move to trash - And empty trash.

Now you can open Safari and should have a nice new shiny browser. You will have to revisit and allow notifications for each site.

----------

It's a two-step process.

I lied... Almost. In step #2, also delete the UserNotificationPermissions.plist file.

Now you should be good.

dschs

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Not prompted for push notifications

Anyone else have trouble with Macrumors not prompting the request to send notifications? Running most recent version Yosemite beta and not having this problem with other sites. Thanks.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Anyone else have trouble with Macrumors not prompting the request to send notifications? Running most recent version Yosemite beta and not having this problem with other sites. Thanks.

ya, there's a known issue right now. working on it.

arn

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
ya, there's a known issue right now. working on it.

arn

Same here, under Yosemite not prompted anymore after I cleard data according to this thread. Hoping for a fix, please let us know here when it is ready so that we can more easily follow the great content of this site :)

Edit: I just pressed "resubscribe", but nothing happens and macrumors won't show up in safari settings -> push notifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherwillsmith

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
This does not seem to be working in macOS Sierra. No notifications ever since upgrading to the Golden Master.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Did you try deleting MacRumors from safari notifications tab and resubscribing?

arn

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Did you try deleting MacRumors from safari notifications tab and resubscribing?

arn
Yes, I tried that. It was even worse. Resubscribing wouldn't bring back MacRumors to the Push list. I had to restore the Safari notifications from a backup. No dice. Tried Denying and Allowing push notifications for MacRumors, but that changes nothing. I mean, you can see notifications are denied and then allowed, but it's indifferent. Does nothing.

Other Push sites do indeed work fine.

EDIT: I don't know if things were different in El Capitan, but I know that forums.macrumors.com is NOT included in my System Preferences/Notifications, which means I can't choose how notifications are shown, whether I want a badge displayed or to hear a sound when a notification arrives, et cetera. If that's what is missing, how does one insert a website for Push notifications in System Preferences/Notifications? I would think it must be some plist, but I don't know where. Any help?

Last edited:

hobspain

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
To me they were working but missing the Maacrumors icon. So I deleted Macrumors form the Safari Notifications tab and no more notifications! Damn why should I be so picky!

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Not sure if this is MR problem or Sierra or Safari X, but a fresh install of El Cap with Safari 9 can detect MR notification...

dclennon74

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Same issue here MacRumors Push Notifications are not working in Sierra. Is there any known fix to this?

Yaemon

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I am also on MacOS Sierra and I can't subscribe to MacRumors notifications, other websites notifications work as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: piddonkadonk

piddonkadonk

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Boulder, CO
Looking at all the people having problems, it would be nice with a fix or maybe just an update from the MacRumors team, so we know what is happening?

Yeah - it's very obvious that MacRumors and Safari Notifications aren't working in harmony right now. I am running in Sierra, but the past two OS's, it was the same thing. It UNFORTUNATELY, means that I end up reading other media outlets before MacRumors at times because there's nothing reminding me to check out the awesome content!

I've tried to delete MacRumors Cookies and History. I've turned off and on MacRumors notifications, that didn't work. Then I deleted the MacRumors notifications from the Safari preferences, and when I go back to that site to re-subscribe nothing happens.

Help us help you, MacRumors! We love you and want to be updated on all of the amazing things that you post, but sometimes in the middle of the work day a notification and can spur us to check out something great instead of just forgetting that you exist. Or maybe I should just be working??!? Whatever!

Reactions: otherwillsmith

dclennon74

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
This just started working yesterday. I went to the MacRumors page and Safari popped up a dialog box asking if I want to allow push notifications from Macrumors. Not sure what changed on the backend for Macrumors but please make sure this stays in place as we all upgrade to 10.12.1.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
This just started working yesterday. I went to the MacRumors page and Safari popped up a dialog box asking if I want to allow push notifications from Macrumors. Not sure what changed on the backend for Macrumors but please make sure this stays in place as we all upgrade to 10.12.1.

I wish I had your experience / luck, still no dice here with OS 10.12.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Yes, I got the same popup, and something has changed in the Safari Notifications preference and in Notifications preferences, but I haven't seen any actual push notifications. I've restarted Safari just in case, but no dice. Perhaps restoring Sierra would do the trick; I haven't tried that.

dclennon74

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
Yes, I got the same popup, and something has changed in the Safari Notifications preference and in Notifications preferences, but I haven't seen any actual push notifications. I've restarted Safari just in case, but no dice. Perhaps restoring Sierra would do the trick; I haven't tried that.

I spoke too soon too. Safari preferences have changed and macrumors.com shows up as allow or deny but like you I have received no new updates. I think there is something still broken on Macrumors side but they have not addressed it.

Yaemon

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I spoke too soon too. Safari preferences have changed and macrumors.com shows up as allow or deny but like you I have received no new updates. I think there is something still broken on Macrumors side but they have not addressed it.

This is happening to me as well, I am not having issues with other website notifications so I agree that this seems to be a Macrumors issue only.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
not working here either (10.12.1)

EDIT: restarted mac, works now! Hope this helps someone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.