Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceTheWake

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
France
I've been in touch with WildCowboy, and he said they have it fixed, but it's still not asking me to allow. The MacRumors entry is completely removed from Safari's notification preferences, and I've clicked reload I've gone to the forums tab, even clicked on an article. Nothing brings up the dialog so far.
[doublepost=1540571728][/doublepost]I remember the last time this happened, they had an expired certificate. Which was in charge of the push service. I wonder if it expired again. Safari isn't showing MacRumors in green so it's probably not an HTTPS site yet. Not sure if that makes a difference in this case, or not though.

Still no pushes on my end, removed it from Safari Notifications but when going on the page to re-subscribe, nothing.....still.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Still no pushes on my end, removed it from Safari Notifications but when going on the page to re-subscribe, nothing.....still.
They are aware of the issue, the certificate did expire as I expected. They regenerated a new one and WildCowboy (Eric) MacRumors staff member reproduced the issue where if you had removed MacRumors from safari,the notification alert to allow notifications didn't come up. They are working on it.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I managed to fix mine, heres what you need to do

1. Click on this link - https://push.xeeno.com
2. Click on Show Certificate (press the padlock in the address bar)
3. Tick always trust certificate and enter your computer password to make changes to your Certificate Trust Settings
4. Restart Safari
5. Visit MacRumors and click on Resubscribe and you should be prompted to add to Notification Centre

Hope this helps!
This worked fine for me two years ago. However, I am having no push notifications from Macrumors since yesterday. To make things worse, Macrumors has disappeared from Safari/Preferences/Websites/Notifications (in Mojave) and it won't reappear by simply resubscribing; actually, clicking the Resubscribe Now button (https://www.macrumors.com/push/) accomplishes nothing. Is there a solution?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
It’s just broken for now. Working on it but it’s not a quick fix
Many thanks for the prompt response. Resorting to my latest backup, I made Macrumors reappear in Safari/Preferences/Websites/Notifications (but not in System Preferences/Notifications, go figure), but, alas, no functionality.

Reactions: 4487549 and RyanXM

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
While you guys are at it, the banner for requesting permissions is illegible in dark mode

1572913753710.png

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
As a Workaround for notifications, Would following MacRumorts on a platform such as twitter work? I mainly like the notifications to know when software updates are released, and a few things I still follow concerning Apple. The new Catalyst Twitter app seems to work well. I've been trying to find an alternative source to follow for the same information with more reliable push. It seems like everything that used to do safari push no longer works. So that's why I would like to find a source that's not dependent on the Safari feature. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to speak up. Thanks

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I don't think Safari itself is to blame, since other web pages send push notifications without an issue. In my case, only Macrumors fails.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I don't think Safari itself is to blame, since other web pages send push notifications without an issue. In my case, only Macrumors fails.
In my case, NONE of the popular tech sites have even offered push notifications such as:

9to5mac
9to5google
appleinsider (etc)
They all worked a few years back, and if I say go to them in Mavericks, or any older version of macOS prior to I want to say, High Sierra. they work. So, I was looking for alternative ways to get information not dependent on the Safari feature. I'm not so much bothered the feature has issues from time to time, I'm more bothered about not being able to find an alternative solution to get the info via Push. Even if it's an RSS reader

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2017
On 10.14.6, in Sys Prefs > Notifications, I now have TWO Safari items in the list. Also, having issues with iCloud tabs (only evident when Cloudy Tabs reveals it from the file it's reading), and iCloud bookmark syncing in general. Safari 13 is a mess.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
in case anyone following this thread.

You can try resubscribing to push here:

Let me know if problems.
[automerge]1574183427[/automerge]
I'm closing this thread. Continue discussion here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.