Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I've been waiting for this phone for years. There's a pretty good guide about the latest as of this writing here:

https://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-x-release-date-price

Sounds like after years of back-and-forth rumors, delays, and waiting, we should finally get a good look at this device soon. I'm looking forward to this form factor diversifying throughout the Galaxy lineup, similar to how the "edge" display became prevalent.

I might skip the first gen but am seriously considering this foldable device as my next phone. What do you think about this bold design direction?

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I've been waiting for this phone for years. There's a pretty good guide about the latest as of this writing here:

https://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-x-release-date-price

Sounds like after years of back-and-forth rumors, delays, and waiting, we should finally get a good look at this device soon. I'm looking forward to this form factor diversifying throughout the Galaxy lineup, similar to how the "edge" display became prevalent.

I might skip the first gen but am seriously considering this foldable device as my next phone. What do you think about this bold design direction?
Great, & the pics are pretty, but don't believe it until it happens.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
IMO foldable screens in a phone are not needed. It would make them thicker, heavier and more awkward to use. Not to mention potentially more expensive.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Can't wait to see this tech.

Over the coming years, I personally think it's a huge potential market segment - once they get the design right. It won't be for everyone but it will find a big enough audience.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Still waiting for them to bring it out. It’s been going on for 40 minutes now.
[doublepost=1541616241][/doublepost]
IMO foldable screens in a phone are not needed. It would make them thicker, heavier and more awkward to use. Not to mention potentially more expensive.
It would merge a tablet and phone into a single device.
[doublepost=1541616289][/doublepost]I wonder if they will say anymore about the galaxy home.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Given it's a developer conference but it's almost as cringeworthy as listening to Tim Cook.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Think it’s coming now as they are taking about curved displays.
[doublepost=1541618643][/doublepost]Well they showed it but it was disguised.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
They just showed it for the first time! The design of the phone itself is obscured in what looks like a case, but they just unveiled the display. Wow! I'm excited for the final product and ongoing improvements!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Doesn’t look too bad for a first gen device, will be interesting to see it properly, bit annoyed about Samsung gloating they’ve invented this and that, I suspect my company has done a lot of work to make it happen along with lots of others. But then again Apple never mentions who actually makes its screens and develops and R&Ds the tech.
Still, looks cool.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Couple of months before they'll be able to mass-produce...wonder if that means we could see a full device at CES in January. This has me absolutely excited.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Very cool. I’m not really interested in it yet. I am not throwing money at a first gen new tech anymore even though I want to. I went through all those growing pains on the iPhone 6 Plus and some of my Samsung’s. Eh, no, I’ll cheer from the sidelines.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Also not to be overlooked, and yes I know it's not stock Android that a lot prefer but, One UI (the new Samsung Experience I guess?) looks great imo.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The one positive thing out of that presentation is they're taking customer input for One UI.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Yup the guy said the device is being masked. So I cannot wait to see the real thing, I'm already sold on it. I'm also loving the new One UI as the next phase of the Samsung Experience UI. Bring it!

Reactions: Shanghaichica

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
That was the best segment of any Samsung presentation I've ever seen. They smashed it!!

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I really wouldn't want to buy a first-gen version of the Galaxy Flex (which is what I'm calling it), but if they unveiled it tomorrow I'd want it so bad after seeing the display tech on-stage. Here I was trying to kick my tech following habit. Damnit.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I sat up straight when he said that they had developed a new polymer and circuit glue that allows "hundreds of thousands of folds" without damage. That's a big leap from a few years ago!

I think he mentioned it would open into a 7.5" (?) screen. Not huge, but not bad at all.

For corporate field apps like I write, it'll be great. Carry a tablet in a pocket!

Reactions: Tsepz

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Give them a chance. First iterations & all.

They'll get better & I think will be the norm in future.

Keep the innovations coming.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I sat up straight when he said that they had developed a new polymer and circuit glue that allows "hundreds of thousands of folds" without damage. That's a big leap from a few years ago!

I think he mentioned it would open into a 7.5" (?) screen. Not huge, but not bad at all.

For corporate field apps like I write, it'll be great. Carry a tablet in a pocket!
I think he said 7.3inch.

I am absolutely blown away, cannot wait to see final devices making their way to market.

It's design reminded me of the good ol Nokia E90 Communicator, loved that phone.

Hopefully the final version has like a near bezeless 7.5-8inch display on it. :)

Reactions: 5105973

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Yeah I was thinking about that - the dimensions intrigue me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.