Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Another problem with getting any future Fold is the move from Apple Watch to WearOS or a Samsung Watch. Primarily for controlling my music collection on my wrist. It's pretty flawless with iTunes Match and the Music app. A move to Android means subscribing to Apple Music if I want access to my iTunes Match, and even then there is no watch app to speak of on either platform for said service.

And GPM is supposed to die next year, so if you want to control your own music your options are pretty much non-existent. Plus I prefer the square screen of the Apple Watch versus the round shape from the competition.

It wouldn't necessarily stop me from a Fold 2, but it's something any current Apple Watch user and fan has to consider.

Reactions: tbayrgs

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Foldable phones are a huge gimmick. The Royole FlexPai (or however they spelled it) and the Galaxy Fold have proved that, I'm ready to have this be a relic of the past in a few years.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
You will be proven wrong in due time.
In fairness to him, no one has done a folding phone right yet. The general consensus seems to be that people want the Fold to be a thing but Samsung's execution is such that the average user probably shouldn't be using the Fold every day. It's just too fragile and soft. I think the concept is potentially promising but I think the execution on the material design side is lacking.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
In fairness to him, no one has done a folding phone right yet. The general consensus seems to be that people want the Fold to be a thing but Samsung's execution is such that the average user probably shouldn't be using the Fold every day. It's just too fragile and soft. I think the concept is potentially promising but I think the execution on the material design side is lacking.
We are in the earliest stages of the category. Things will only improve moving forward.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Personally, I think Microsoft should have co-announced a single screen model. The Enterprise market wants a "Windows Phone" (AKA Android with Microsoft services). I just feel like this is cool but a traditional phone would be better at least in the near term.
It would be nice if they released a regular smartphone...and they still could. I mean no one saw them releasing a folding phone. So they might have more coming later.
But from everything I have read from the hands on people at the event..... this phone does the folding thing the right way. The build and quality is said to be top notch.
Whether you like folding phones or not...they are coming and most of the top smartphone players will release one at some point.

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It's neat that Microsoft tried it, but I think Samsung may have a better idea of the shape with the Fold. The Surface Duo is a really odd shape when folded. It's a good effort but I think the Fold might be a bit closer.

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Great review from Joanna Stern. She recommends you go check it out but not actually fork over the $2000 for the device. Although she did manage to put a scratch in the screen with her fingernail

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The Duo is cool but I don't want a hinge between two screens. I want a single large screen.

Chrisblond007

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Samsung Fold just failed durability folding test at CNET. Of course we will have ppl say it’s ok that Samsung charges $2k, $150 for screen replacement, claims 200k open/closes but actual tests show less.

What an epic fail.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Samsung Fold just failed durability folding test at CNET. Of course we will have ppl say it’s ok that Samsung charges $2k, $150 for screen replacement, claims 200k open/closes but actual tests show less.

What an epic fail.
I wouldn't go that far, but Samsung has definitely released a product which isn't ready for the big time.

At least dust isn't ruining the screen again

IMHO, someone like @jamezr would be a good fit to try the fold because he has several other daily drivers (I'm envious of course ;)), but if you have one phone, I wouldn't go with this.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Samsung Fold just failed durability folding test at CNET.
What were the tests exactly? Got link?

Found it...

Two things - The CNET bloke said it appeared to come loose in the test rig. & it also seemed to close the Fold faster than the Samsung test rigs.

So I’m a little skeptical of this test.

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Let’s stop calling the Microsoft Duo a folding phone. It’s not. It’s a dual screen phone. Huge difference.

Go ahead and put me in the group that thinks it’ll be a while before folding screens are ever successful. Folding screens that keep the screen on the outside when closed (Huawei) will never be successful unless folding screen durability takes a giant leap forward. So that leaves us with the current Galaxy Fold style design. For that to be successful they need to improve durability of the screen, durability of the hinge, gap caused by hinge when closed, and front screen size. That’s a lot to overcome from the current model.
[automerge]1570367298[/automerge]

Sure it's on here somewhere that it's not exactly a test under normal circumstances. Nobody would fold/unfold their phone this many times in this amount of time. And the extra amount of heat generated from the constant folding would greatly reduce the durability.

True, but in ways this is also easier on device. Over time the hinge would be exposed to more elements, take nicks and bumps which would effect alignment slightly, the screen would inadvertently gets some dust and particles in it. Also this machine is folding it in a very uniform and consistent way whereas a human might be rougher or open it at slight angles. All these things could lead to it failing sooner. So while I agree that this machine isn’t ideal in ways it’s probably easier on the device.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Launches in Australia on October 30 for $2999....o_O
Wtf? That’s 1850€ :oops:

EDIT: Sorry, as you were folks. I thought this was in the Pixel 4 thread :D Getting more coffee brb

Last edited:

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
My plan was to get the 3rd gen Fold, but the more I hear about the 2nd gen having foldable glass, I'm starting to think I might just have to pull the trigger on a second gen. And if they do have glass, maybe they can include an SPen this time. Glass and SPen would be extremely hard for me to not buy. I'm not hurting for cash, so spending up to $2500 on industry leading tech like this would be an easy choice for me.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Foldable glass?? Where did you hear that?
Maybe if its true it will come after 5 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.