Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
You nailed it. I love my iPhone 11 Pro It's a very good phone, I love iOS, and the software/hardware combo is so solid. But it's boring. And that note 10 screen tho... Plus almost limitless customization

On the one hand iOS is so boring with over 10 years without a bigger refresh of homescreen, on the other hand prductive working without iCloud is an absolutely deal breaker. Try to add custom music to a video cutting of vacation trip (I'll do this often in the plane when traveling back home). On Android this is just easy, just download it an browse through the filesystem within the video cutting app. Another big thing is sideloading for me, yes you may tell me something about security - do you use on your Windows computer only apps from the App store, nah? So I have the possibilities to use system wide ad blocker, custom apps for YouTube, Instagram etc. without any adverts or ad videos... On iOS I'm forced to see ad videos within YouTube. No thanks...

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I've got the Note 10+ and it's persuaded me to start moving off the Apple ecosystem. The Mac may be an issue given I only got it last year and it was expensive, however my IPP is having issues so may be replaced soon with a Galaxy S6 tablet.

Reactions: yui4

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2019
Weird, my phone looks bit brighter after removing the orignal screen protector.

Screenshot_2019-12-04_224102.jpg

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Argh! For some reason I am still looking into this device! Been wondering about snagging an unlocked version or maybe even an exynos model so I can tinker with it (like I don't have enough tinker toys :rolleyes:). Haven't really been able to track one down however. Maybe I haven't looked through Amazon enough.

I think I might be kicking myself a little for not hopping on that lightning deal Monday...

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Argh! For some reason I am still looking into this device! Been wondering about snagging an unlocked version or maybe even an exynos model so I can tinker with it (like I don't have enough tinker toys :rolleyes:). Haven't really been able to track one down however. Maybe I haven't looked through Amazon enough.

I think I might be kicking myself a little for not hopping on that lightning deal Monday...

I had the same issue. But now it’s full price and I’m kind of thankful and proud I didn’t impulse buy.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
What's everyone's thoughts on the rumored S10 and note 10 lite?
Wait.

U WOT M8, A FLAT SCREEN NOTE AGAIN????? o_O

How had not heard about this yet?? Damn it, I’m going to have to follow the Note 10 Lite rumors like a bloodhound.

E92DE30E-B8A2-4B8D-81E5-BF61C9A9DDB5.jpeg

And this goes right to what I was saying in another thread just yesterday - I’m absolutely astonished that no one seems to be making a difference between curved and flat screens anymore. Literally not a single one of all the articles I've read about the Note 10 Lite mention the fact that the leaked renders clearly show a flat screen! I mean...a flat screen Note is HUGE!!

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note10_lite_battery_size_new_renders-amp-40446.php

As for the rest of it, if the rumors are true, it's a puzzling release by Samsung. At $900 it's not much cheaper than the regular Note 10+ so why bother with a "Lite" version at that price point? It sounds more like a Note 10 "Slightly Less Premium". It's even supposed to have a bigger battery than the Note 10+..... What gives??

Anyway, being the no. 1 sworn enemy of curved screens, I am of course very interested. Since the "Lite" thing doesn't quite make sense, and neither does the release date coming so close to the S11 release - could this be a test run for gauging the customer preference for flat screens...?

Let's see. If this turns out to be real, my little iPhone 11 Pro might just get a big brother in a few months. My wallet wouldn't take it well though.

But man, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. BIG FLAT OLED + SPEN YEAH BABEHHHHHHH!!

Come on Sammy you know it, those curved screens need to be burned on the stake and that's all there's to it.

EDIT ok looking further at those renders, did I speak too soon? Are those screens actually slightly curved? If so I've gotta ask my GF to hide our razors :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and yui4

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
So the older S10 series are already receiving their Android 10 + One UI 2 updates and us Note10 people still don't have anything!? Hmm.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
For me, the only thing a phone needs to do is last the day before I get home. I'm a moderate to heavy user. That being said, I don't know of any phone that won't meet my use case. From entry level to flagship, most phones have no problem lasting us the day, with the occasional quick top up. It's a joke how all these YouTubers bait people into pointless arguments with their battery test videos. I swear, when these YouTubers get together behind the scenes, they gotta be laughing at how much money they make getting views by fan kids bickering about the most pointless things. Oh look, my phone lasted 5 minutes longer than yours on the battery drain test. My phone is king! It absolutely destroyed yours!
You have no idea how important battery life is for some where power is not reliable. Here in South Africa we have scheduled blackouts so Battery Life is a big feature, a phone simply lasting a work day is not enough, it needs to last well over a day of heavy usage.

I have both my XS Max and P30 Pro regularly charged up as well as a Powerbank, but it's great to have phones that don't need the Powerbank constantly.

Reactions: sunking101

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wait.

U WOT M8, A FLAT SCREEN NOTE AGAIN????? o_O

How had not heard about this yet?? Damn it, I’m going to have to follow the Note 10 Lite rumors like a bloodhound.

View attachment 881580

And this goes right to what I was saying in another thread just yesterday - I’m absolutely astonished that no one seems to be making a difference between curved and flat screens anymore. Literally not a single one of all the articles I've read about the Note 10 Lite mention the fact that the leaked renders clearly show a flat screen! I mean...a flat screen Note is HUGE!!

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note10_lite_battery_size_new_renders-amp-40446.php

As for the rest of it, if the rumors are true, it's a puzzling release by Samsung. At $900 it's not much cheaper than the regular Note 10+ so why bother with a "Lite" version at that price point? It sounds more like a Note 10 "Slightly Less Premium". It's even supposed to have a bigger battery than the Note 10+..... What gives??

Anyway, being the no. 1 sworn enemy of curved screens, I am of course very interested. Since the "Lite" thing doesn't quite make sense, and neither does the release date coming so close to the S11 release - could this be a test run for gauging the customer preference for flat screens...?

Let's see. If this turns out to be real, my little iPhone 11 Pro might just get a big brother in a few months. My wallet wouldn't take it well though.

But man, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. BIG FLAT OLED + SPEN YEAH BABEHHHHHHH!!

Come on Sammy you know it, those curved screens need to be burned on the stake and that's all there's to it.

EDIT ok looking further at those renders, did I speak too soon? Are those screens actually slightly curved? If so I've gotta ask my GF to hide our razors :oops:
IMHO....a Note 10+ with a flat display would be damn near the perfect phone....

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
IMHO....a Note 10+ with a flat display would be damn near the perfect phone....

Agreed. I don’t hate the curved display as much as some people, but it feels like an experiment that was done in 2015 that was more of a fad, and for some reason Samsung hasn’t let go of it. The amount of accidental touches it would cut down on would be great.

Reactions: Oohara and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Agreed. I don’t hate the curved display as much as some people, but it feels like an experiment that was done in 2015 that was more of a fad, and for some reason Samsung hasn’t let go of it. The amount of accidental touches it would cut down on would be great.
yep....it is like a brand distinction for them now. If they offered flat and curved displays side by for the Note 10 line up...i think they would be surprised how many would opt for the flat display.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Anyone else planning on jumping to the s11+ if the camera delivers?

It really is the one area that really can use some improvement.

GF is using my old pixel 3aXL, and we were out on the town the other night in a dark restaurant. I forgot how incredible the pictures were out of that camera.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Anyone else planning on jumping to the s11+ if the camera delivers?

It really is the one area that really can use some improvement.

GF is using my old pixel 3aXL, and we were out on the town the other night in a dark restaurant. I forgot how incredible the pictures were out of that camera.
Personally I’m not this time as I always end up getting rid of it for the note later in the year.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
For me the problem is I can't stand having a significant portion of my documents and videos disturbed by warping and glare. I just can't edit docs for work in those conditions. The curves distort my sense of proportion and space, even block part of the content, the pen will slip off if I try to mark a word at either end, etc. And videos either get a dead space top and bottom, or an extra band of glare on top of the black background if I'm watching in wide screen.

I feel it's just so damn counter productive, especially for the NOTE of all devices. Here you have the PERFECT pocket document editor, but no, its functionality has to be hampered by a kind of pocketability helper/decoration that diminishes its ability to do what it was designed for. It's just so damn backwards.

If Samsung really went to town on their S Pen functionality, for example by letting me do handwriting to text conversion on the spot in a little window that opens instead of the keyboard (correct me if that's already there please, but as I recall it is not), and paired that with a flat, undisturbed work space...that would be enough for me to switch over to Google Docs or whatever cloud service, and abandon iCloud which I otherwise love. I would be editing my work documents like a bat out of hell on that thing.

As it stands, my iPhone with its crappy text selection and restrictive sharing options remains my best alternative. Because Samsung finds it more important for the Note to look "neat" over being an actually efficient productivity machine.

"Infinity Display", please die in 2020. Die in a fire.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...e-new-leak-rumor-price-specs-launch-date/amp/

“It is no secret Samsung is gearing up to launch a flood of new devices, such as the Galaxy S10 Lite, Note 10 Lite, Galaxy A51, and Galaxy A71. While most details of these upcoming phones are already known, we have yet to learn about their pricing. Now, a European retailer is shedding some light on this issue as well.

“…While we do not see specs or images, we do get a first glimpse at pricing as well as a speculative release date. All devices are expected to be in stock immediately after Christmas on December 27.”

The new handsets are expected go on sale in Slovakia on December 27th, just in time for the Christmas and New Year sales. The listed prices are:

Galaxy S10 Lite: 699 Euros
Galaxy Note 10 Lite: 609 Euros
Galaxy A71: 469 Euros
Galaxy A51: 375 Euros

Forbes, so taking this with a massive heap of salt. But if true, €609 is definitely a nice price point for the Note 10 Lite.

Why would that be €609 if the S10 Lite is €699 though? I guess this is just shenanigans after all. Oh well.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Totally random question here, does the Note 10 (and other modern Samsung phones) still have lag after using them for a few months? I tried the S4 years ago, it was fine for a little while but would lag after a month or so.

also what’s the bloatware like on these modern Samsung phones?

As my personal device I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max. However through a family member I have the opportunity to test out a Note 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.