Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I guess it is about time we start the Samsung Galaxy S10 thread as it will be the next Samsung flagship.

There are already very interesting rumours out there such as the in display fingerprint scanner?! :)

Reactions: iSilas and 5105973

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I guess it is about time we start the Samsung Galaxy S10 thread as it will be the next Samsung flagship.

There are already very interesting rumours out there such as the in display fingerprint scanner?! :)

Like what interesting rumors? However, there were also rumors that the Note 9 was supposed to incorporate a fingerprint scanner under the display, and that never happened either. I’m not sure if I really find that technology that appealing, as I think no one has experience with it to understand the downfalls with accuracy rates, and it’s been discussed that with the screen protectors of imposing problems with unsuccessful unlocking of the phone and battery drain concerns.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Completely bezeless design, in-screen fingerprint sensor, 3d face tracking, five color options are the rumors so far.

3D Face Tracking? Is this supposed to be something related to Like to face ID or an entirely different type of biometric security?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
3D Face Tracking? Is this supposed to be something related to Like to face ID or an entirely different type of biometric security?
Face ID-esque

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mashable.com/2018/06/25/samsung-galaxy-s10-leak.amp/
Samsung is reportedly running around the clock to perfect 3D face-scanning technology — set to replace the existing iris scanner technology — in time for the Samsung Galaxy S10 launch expected next year. If certain production benchmarks are not met, however, the new phone is expected to continue using an iris scanner, as older model phones have.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Some are already writing off any features the S10 might have as useless :)
Its kinda interesting when some fans write off Samsung or Android features saying they don't care about that feature. But when the iPhone adopts that feature it is a great feature to have all of a sudden.
Does everyone remember wireless charging? How everyone said it was overblown and they didn't see the excitement. But when the iPhone got it years later.......it s great feature now.

Same thing with facial scanning software. It was touted as useless by iPhone fans and how much they loved TouchID......until Apple did away with TID now FaceID is so awesome.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
All my coworkers have wireless chargers on their stands for iPhones now. They love wireless charging.

Re: S10

-In display FPS, bring it on.

-Which would mean probably an all new design. It's due for one, but I also hope they don't make too radical of a design change. The design is already near perfect.

-Don't lose the headphone jack. Hang onto it just a little longer...

-I hope to see a real leap in photography. Samsung cameras are great, but they need to be Pixel-level great. The dynamic range isn't quite as good as the Pixel's, and I find shots sometimes blown out, where whites are way too bright.

-Please go back to offering an equal experience on the smaller model vs the bigger. That means, same camera setups (dual or triple...) for both and 6GB of RAM for both. The only difference should be screen and battery size. Go back to that trend, please.

I'm also curious to see what Project Treble will do for Samsung updates. Though they've gotten better, especially at providing the monthly security ones, there is still plenty of room for improvement for software version updates.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I may of exaggerated slightly :), but never the less I dislike the notch even from an obvious symmetry or lack of

Not a fan of the notch either. The two main arguments for the notch also don't make sense:

It doesn't matter if it has super cool technology or not (you can still have the same technology in a normal bezel).

And it hardly buys you extra screen space especially when you consider you actually lose notification icons and other useful info, like battery %, in the status bar. It becomes even more moot when notch-devices go full screen and use software to black out the ears of the notch so you don't even really gain that screen space anyway, unless you want a notch obstructing your content.

Smartphones already offer a nice variety of large display sizes. I'm sure no one who gets an S9+ or a Note 9 is going, "Darn, Samsung really could have given us more screen if they had just included a notch and shoved the status bar into the ears."

Notches make zero sense no matter how it's spun.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Not a fan of the notch either. The two main arguments for the notch also don't make sense:

It doesn't matter if it has super cool technology or not (you can still have the same technology in a normal bezel).

And it hardly buys you extra screen space especially when you consider you actually lose notification icons and other useful info, like battery %, in the status bar. It becomes even more moot when notch-devices go full screen and use software to black out the ears of the notch so you don't even really gain that screen space anyway, unless you want a notch obstructing your content.

Smartphones already offer a nice variety of large display sizes. I'm sure no one who gets an S9+ or a Note 9 is going, "Darn, Samsung really could have given us more screen if they had just included a notch and shoved the status bar into the ears."

Notches make zero sense no matter how it's spun.
When you have a dual sim phone a notch is even worse as insufficient room to display both service providers and sim status etc as clearly :rolleyes:

Reactions: epicrayban

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Notch fad is worse than netbook. Hopefully, in screen sensors take off in 2019 so the notch dies. People have returned devices for a few bad pixels but the notch is like a big block of your screen gone bad.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

What’s interesting, is even all the quotes in this thread before your quote, nobody labeled anything for the S10 ‘useless’ (That is unless you’re referring to outside sources). I think you’re Using hyperbole here. However, it was speculated in a post about how a fingerprint reader under the display could impose its issues with accuracy rates, being that everyone expected the Note 9 to have the fingerprint reader and that didn’t happen. But that’s just exercising criticism over the reason for the potential delays for a fingerprint reader in the display. Ming Kuo had originally Predicted Samsung was having some manufacturing concerns with the fingerprint reader under the dispay.

Its kinda interesting when some fans write off Samsung or Android features saying they don't care about that feature. But when the iPhone adopts that feature it is a great feature to have all of a sudden.
Does everyone remember wireless charging? How everyone said it was overblown and they didn't see the excitement. But when the iPhone got it years later.......it s great feature now.

Same thing with facial scanning software. It was touted as useless by iPhone fans and how much they loved TouchID......until Apple did away with TID now FaceID is so awesome.

Reference the bolded, I like to think myself as being objective and open minded when it comes to tech in general. And what I mean by that, is I like to see both sides to what competitor tech has to offer in terms of android versus iOS, Samsung versus Apple, etc. That said, And to be perfectly honest, I think you’re doing nothing more than spreading hyperbole to an extreme with cynicism, as I spend a significant amount of time iPhone forum and by no means, do I see posts about those bragging about “Its a great Feature” with wireless charging Or The assertion you’re making that touch ID has been deleted and now face ID is in its place and it’s awesome” according to Apple fans. Apple is completely late to the game with wireless charging and they don’t even have the Airpower even ready for the market which was announced a year ago. (<— This is an example of an ‘Apple fan’ being critical of Apple and its products) Again, I don’t know why you’re interjecting such hyperbole, because in the iPhone forum alone and other tech forums, many ‘Apple fans’ including myself, have chastised face ID (Amongst other products)for its downfalls compared to where touch ID excelled.

The Reality is this about smart phones with Samsung and Apple, hardware is equally great between both of these phone competitors, they both offer different types of biometric security, Face ID excels in certain areas, where iris scanning does not or vice versa. But there is no need to dismiss technology as a whole, however, for certain technology that’s not released yet, it opens for speculation and criticism pending how it will be implemented, if ever.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Is this the foldable device? If so, I'm curious to see what Samsung does with it. Very appealing prospect to have a phone unfold into a mini tablet. Though I'm planning on upgrading my iPad this year, so I hope these foldable phones-turned-tablets take their time. ;)

You're paying too much attention to the wrong iPhone fans who aren't appreciative of the mobile phone market as a whole.

& by doing so, condescending comments such as yours above, where you lump "iPhone fans" in the same basket, make this section of the forum an unappealing place for people hoping for positive & constructive discussion on devices we should all be excited about.
(Same goes for those putting down Android users in the iPhone section).

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What’s interesting, is even all the quotes in this thread before your quote, nobody labeled anything for the S10 ‘useless’ (That is unless you’re referring to outside sources). I think you’re Using hyperbole here. However, it was speculated in a post about how a fingerprint reader under the display could impose its issues with accuracy rates, being that everyone expected the Note 9 to have the fingerprint reader and that didn’t happen. But that’s just exercising criticism over the reason for the potential delays for a fingerprint reader in the display. Ming Kuo had originally Predicted Samsung was having some manufacturing concerns with the fingerprint reader under the dispay.

Reference the bolded, I like to think myself as being objective and open minded when it comes to tech in general. And what I mean by that, is I like to see both sides to what competitor tech has to offer in terms of android versus iOS, Samsung versus Apple, etc. That said, And to be perfectly honest, I think you’re doing nothing more than spreading hyperbole to an extreme with cynicism, as I spend a significant amount of time iPhone forum and by no means, do I see posts about those bragging about “Its a great Feature” with wireless charging Or The assertion you’re making that touch ID has been deleted and now face ID is in its place and it’s awesome” according to Apple fans. Apple is completely late to the game with wireless charging and they don’t even have the Airpower even ready for the market which was announced a year ago. (<— This is an example of an ‘Apple fan’ being critical of Apple and its products) Again, I don’t know why you’re interjecting such hyperbole, because in the iPhone forum alone and other tech forums, many ‘Apple fans’ including myself, have chastised face ID (Amongst other products)for its downfalls compared to where touch ID excelled.

The Reality is this about smart phones with Samsung and Apple, hardware is equally great between both of these phone competitors, they both offer different types of biometric security, Face ID excels in certain areas, where iris scanning does not or vice versa. But there is no need to dismiss technology as a whole, however, for certain technology that’s not released yet, it opens for speculation and criticism pending how it will be implemented, if ever.
Talk about hyperbole! So do you own an Android phone? Have you ever?
Reading your posts in the iphone section of this forum you fit the description of the post i wrote to a tee!
Here is an iphone fan in the alternative section downplaying new technology in a future Samsung phone!

I didn't name any names in my first post BUT i guess you felt epitomized enough to reply and defend yourself when you were never named in my post! I guess you felt my post described you enough that you had to reply! Lol

Reactions: iSilas and kkh786

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Is this the foldable device?
Nah. From everything I've read, the foldable device is going to be a third product in Samsung's Galaxy line introduced at some point (probably later) in 2019.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Nah. From everything I've read, the foldable device is going to be a third product in Samsung's Galaxy line introduced at some point (probably later) in 2019.
Yeah I think it is called the Galaxy X. Rumors say 2019 and the CES show might have more information.

Reactions: Cryates

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Do we have any reputable design estimates for the S10? I've seen a few, but they all look like fan 'dream devices' rather than designs based on research or from leakes (if there are any).

Early rumours for the foldable Samsung phone hint towards an eye watering $2000 price tag!?
That's understandable - they've gotto start somewhere.

In many ways though, you're paying for two phones (screens), so the high price is to be expected.

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.