Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Yeah Apple would never do something like that. They're of the mindset that their devices are superior and they dont see a reason to put them on sale. It would undermind their whole philosophy.

The benefit of their never on sale technique is that owners get to sell their devices secondhand for a premium. People know thats the only way to get them below MSRP so owners can still charge a premium when selling them.

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah Apple would never do something like that. They're of the mindset that their devices are superior and they dont see a reason to put them on sale. It would undermind their whole philosophy.

The benefit of their never on sale technique is that owners get to sell their devices secondhand for a premium. People know thats the only way to get them below MSRP so owners can still charge a premium when selling them.

Mostly but not exactly true. This past year Apple heavily promoted their iPhone with ‘trade-in deals’, something they’ve never done. And while the price of the phones weren’t discounted, they subsidized the trade-in values of older iPhones, giving larger amounts if applying the trade-in towards a new phone vs. just trading in the phone for credit.

So yes, they don’t reduce the prices of their phones but I’d say they’re feeling the pressure of the lack of sales growth over the past couple of years, especially from Wall St and had to pursue sales incentives they’ve never had to resort to.

But let’s also be clear, iPhone sales numbers generally persist over the course of a year much better than any Android counterpart for a couple of key reasons. First, Apple is the only manufacturer of iPhones and consumers know it’s going to be a full year between new models and second, Android devices are released by numerous manufacturers throughout the year so each new model has a relatively short window to grab the spotlight before the next new thing comes out. In Samsung’s case they’re not only competing with other OEMs and Apple, they have flagship releases of their own every 6 months so once the Note comes out, their own Galaxy model is yesterday’s news. At that point, the only way to squeeze a little more out of the last model is to price aggressively.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I can say I've seen more Galaxy then any other Android out in the wild.

My friend enjoys his and his buds immensely. I'm happy for him.

Separately, is there a way/hack to auto rotate the AOD on his phone!? He looks like a goof ball with his s10+ always in landscape. Lol!!!

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Samsung maybe having poor sales which is the reason for the price cuts.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well my S10+ is losing its sim. I’m going down to one line for an indefinite time. My dad is on Verizon and his phone developed problems just as my mom went into the hospital. My 8Plus is an AT&T model so I can’t just give him the phone and let him put his sim in it. I have to take the sim from my Samsung and put it in the 8 Plus so he can use it until things calm down and he can get a replacement from Verizon. If he’s getting hit with a lot of hospital bills that may be awhile.

Fortunately I haven’t given that number out to very many people.

Edit, kept my sim, dad got a new phone. Mom is fine at home.

Last edited:

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I just got the Galaxy s10e and it's the perfect size for a phone. I have small hands and often dropped my Galaxy S8. This 10e is just about perfect ergonomically.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh, i wish i were brave enough to leave ios:(
I have decided not to do it. I've got a kid entering a high school that requires the use of iPads in class. She is not allowed to have her phone with her in classes, but if she needs me, she can iMessage me from her ipad anytime. I haven't yet found a wearable that can help me navigate our traffic as well as my Apple Watch can with its taps during Apple maps use.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to run an Android line and an iOS line. There's so much I prefer about my Samsung and Pixel phones, but I have come to accept I won't be leaving Apple's ecosystem anytime soon. But at least now I don't feel trapped in it. I have everything in place to leave if I decide Apple did something that's the absolute last straw and I must go. It's just comfortable now for me to stay so I do.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have decided not to do it. I've got a kid entering a high school that requires the use of iPads in class. She is not allowed to have her phone with her in classes, but if she needs me, she can iMessage me from her ipad anytime. I haven't yet found a wearable that can help me navigate our traffic as well as my Apple Watch can with its taps during Apple maps use.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to run an Android line and an iOS line. There's so much I prefer about my Samsung and Pixel phones, but I have come to accept I won't be leaving Apple's ecosystem anytime soon. But at least now I don't feel trapped in it. I have everything in place to leave if I decide Apple did something that's the absolute last straw and I must go. It's just comfortable now for me to stay so I do.
Think Apple Watch and faster notifications is what keeps me happy with apple. The fac5 notifications don’t come through on time was an issue with my S10 plus.

I do love the note line though so I’m tempted to get it but I know I shouldn’t

geraldem

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2015
Think Apple Watch and faster notifications is what keeps me happy with apple. The fac5 notifications don’t come through on time was an issue with my S10 plus.

I do love the note line though so I’m tempted to get it but I know I shouldn’t
I have seen the same thing regarding notifications being delayed on the Samsung vs Apple. Has there ever been an indication as to why?

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011

Well, what keeps me with iphone are several features: imessage, find my friend, family icloud, live photo... but man, i feel like apple is losing ground regarding tech, looking at all those great phones from samsung/oneplus... and for sometimes unbelievable prices, i mean right now I can (here where i live) buy s10e/oneplus 7 for 600usd while iphone 8 (64gb) would cost me 700usd... and s10e/oneplus 7 looks like phone from the future in comparison to ip8;/

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have seen the same thing regarding notifications being delayed on the Samsung vs Apple. Has there ever been an indication as to why?

Think it has something to do with the android system not allowing notifications while the phone is locked

I had an issue where 10 notifications came through at once which to me was a deal breaker. Became very frustrating getting notifications coming through when I unlocked my phone after 7-8 mins.

The galaxy watch is also no where near as good as Apple Watch for general music on the go in the gym or apps and notifications in general.

Everything else though it was a great phone and just a shame a few things let it down. Battery life was also not very good in comparison to the max but I miss features like picture in picture on YouTube daily and on screen widgets..certain things I really miss

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Think it has something to do with the android system not allowing notifications while the phone is locked

I had an issue where 10 notifications came through at once which to me was a deal breaker. Became very frustrating getting notifications coming through when I unlocked my phone after 7-8 mins.

The galaxy watch is also no where near as good as Apple Watch for general music on the go in the gym or apps and notifications in general.

Everything else though it was a great phone and just a shame a few things let it down. Battery life was also not very good in comparison to the max but I miss features like picture in picture on YouTube daily and on screen widgets..certain things I really miss

I'm not sure what I'm doing different but I've never had any issues with notifications not coming through!!

You can mess with it if you start to fiddle with power saving and sleeping apps etc which can lead to delayed notifications from some apps, but otherwise as standard it's not been a problem for me on Samsungs at least.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm not sure what I'm doing different but I've never had any issues with notifications not coming through!!

You can mess with it if you start to fiddle with power saving and sleeping apps etc which can lead to delayed notifications from some apps, but otherwise as standard it's not been a problem for me on Samsungs at least.
I did all that and made no difference...and that's not something you should do or need to do. A few others did have the same issue on here.

That said I may give the note a go as the positives may outweigh the few negatives.certainly if battery life is better

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011

Same here. No issue on notifications. I actually noticed my gmail notifications on the native Samsung email app come through quicker than gmail on the iPhone.

Reactions: koigirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.