Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Samsung did well with the pricing in the UK. £899 for the note 10 (256GB) and £999 for the 256GB note 10+.
I agree but there are no decent preorder offers this year in the UK that I am aware of! What is all that about?

Even Note9 preorders last year had decent trade in offers like £550 for the Note 8 (at CPW) not the crappy £400 being offered this year for a Note9.

I would have upgraded if £550 trade in for Note9 was an option for the Note 10+!

Oh well. Apple may end up with my cash this year!

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Still deciding lol
Have u ever left apple before? If so, did not u miss imessage or live photos? Or find my friend? I am still deciding whether to try android or no. I can get note10 for a price of base 8 plus here (and with decent buyout price for my base iphone 7) so it is tempting, but still undecided

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Have u ever left apple before? If so, did not u miss imessage or live photos? Or find my friend? I am still deciding whether to try android or no. I can get note10 for a price of base 8 plus here (and with decent buyout price for my base iphone 7) so it is tempting, but still undecided

I spent 2.5 half years on Samsung before I went back to Apple. I know android and Samsung so would have no problem using it. I also don’t even use iMessage. I use what’sApp. I just have a lot of Apple devices (2x iPad, 2x HomePods, Apple watch, MacBook, AirPods, Apple Watch). It’s more about familiarity and laziness to change lol I’ve tried a two phone set up for the last 3 years and it didn’t work for me. I can only use one phone at a time.

Even my husband is telling me to get the note 10+ or the S10+ but I’m still indecisive lol

I have a few non Apple products in my house (chromecast, Fire TV, fire Tablet, Echos and google home devices) and I like them all. I think Apple’s pricing structure is getting out of hand and outside of the benefits of the ecosystem they aren’t offering any compelling features.
[doublepost=1565424725][/doublepost]
I agree but there are no decent preorder offers this year in the UK that I am aware of! What is all that about?

Even Note9 preorders last year had decent trade in offers like £550 for the Note 8 (at CPW) not the crappy £400 being offered this year for a Note9.

I would have upgraded if £550 trade in for Note9 was an option for the Note 10+!

Oh well. Apple may end up with my cash this year!
Pre-order incentives are always hit and miss in the UK.

Reactions: kazmac

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I spent 2.5 half years on Samsung before I went back to Apple. I know android and Samsung so would have no problem using it. I also don’t even use iMessage. I use what’sApp. I just have a lot of Apple devices (2x iPad, 2x HomePods, Apple watch, MacBook, AirPods, Apple Watch). It’s more about familiarity and laziness to change lol I’ve tried a two phone set up for the last 3 years and it didn’t work for me. I can only use one phone at a time.

Even my husband is telling me to get the note 10+ or the S10+ but I’m still indecisive lol

I have a few non Apple products in my house (chromecast, Fire TV, fire Tablet, Echos and google home devices) and I like them all. I think Apple’s pricing structure is getting out of hand and outside of the benefits of the ecosystem they aren’t offering any compelling features.
[doublepost=1565424725][/doublepost]
Pre-order incentives are always hit and miss in the UK.

Understand your thought process

As somebody who left apple and went all in on Samsung it when I got the
S10 plus
Galaxy buds
Tab S4
Google homes

Two things that drew me back to apple was the apple watch and air pods connectivity. The galaxy watch just didn’t compare with how it worked with music on my Apple Watch plus notifications not coming through really did drive me mad and I know that won’t change on Android

I certainly wanted to see what the note 10 would offer and wanted to see if it was worth switching but nothing stood out differently from S10 to think it’s worth switching. Plus app quality is certainly better to me on the iPhone. Twitter for me on android looks too big text wise for my liking

Agree pricing is getting bad which is why I considered and got S10 plus but in the end heavy price or not I want back to what worked better and let’s face it if you want to keep your device for a long time you will always get updates on apple and phones do generally hold their value well

Android is great though and are offering great choice and give Samsung credit they are trying to create their own ecosystem and have it work as similar to apple as possible

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Will never go back to Samsung again for my personal reasons:

Resale value is trash (I flip phones a lot)
Cameras are just ok
UI/OS is one of the morst in the Android world

Its either iOS for me or OP or Google.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Personally, I upgrade my iPhone every year through their upgrade program and ‘dabble’ with an android or 2 throughout the year.

I’ve got the Xs max atm which runs great but when compared to the android flagships this year, feels primitive.

The iPhone leaks for this years release are showing nothing at all worth upgrading to.

I’ve had every iPhone since the 3GS but the lack of innovation and ever spiralling cost doesn’t seem to marry up imo.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Wow, so I don't even know right now... On a whim I loaded up Sammy dot com and looked into the S10+ since it doesn't have the s pen and had headphone jack...

999 unlocked! As insult to injury, the 3 major carrier branded, 799.

So that makes the note 10+ unlocked one hundred bucks more.

Making it really hard to jump back into Samsung device. They where offering a free Chromebook 3 with it though...

:confused::mad::rolleyes:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well, what keeps me with iphone are several features: imessage, find my friend, family icloud, live photo... but man, i feel like apple is losing ground regarding tech, looking at all those great phones from samsung/oneplus... and for sometimes unbelievable prices, i mean right now I can (here where i live) buy s10e/oneplus 7 for 600usd while iphone 8 (64gb) would cost me 700usd... and s10e/oneplus 7 looks like phone from the future in comparison to ip8;/
They have been behind for a while. Apple is adding things to iOS that Android has had for years.
[doublepost=1565574278][/doublepost]
Same here. No issue on notifications. I actually noticed my gmail notifications on the native Samsung email app come through quicker than gmail on the iPhone.
Can't say I have had that issue either.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Mostly but not exactly true. This past year Apple heavily promoted their iPhone with ‘trade-in deals’, something they’ve never done. And while the price of the phones weren’t discounted, they subsidized the trade-in values of older iPhones, giving larger amounts if applying the trade-in towards a new phone vs. just trading in the phone for credit.

So yes, they don’t reduce the prices of their phones but I’d say they’re feeling the pressure of the lack of sales growth over the past couple of years, especially from Wall St and had to pursue sales incentives they’ve never had to resort to.

But let’s also be clear, iPhone sales numbers generally persist over the course of a year much better than any Android counterpart for a couple of key reasons. First, Apple is the only manufacturer of iPhones and consumers know it’s going to be a full year between new models and second, Android devices are released by numerous manufacturers throughout the year so each new model has a relatively short window to grab the spotlight before the next new thing comes out. In Samsung’s case they’re not only competing with other OEMs and Apple, they have flagship releases of their own every 6 months so once the Note comes out, their own Galaxy model is yesterday’s news. At that point, the only way to squeeze a little more out of the last model is to price aggressively.
That may be true or not. I for one have never bought a Note and never will for the fact they are just too big for my liking. So if I own a S 9 or S 10, I'm not dumping it for a Note six months later just because it is a newer. Phones aren't a hobby for me. The Hobbyist may do that but my guess is most do not.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
They have been behind for a while. Apple is adding things to iOS that Android has had for years.
[doublepost=1565574278][/doublepost]
Can't say I have had that issue either.
I do belive they are behind with hw not sw... but i cant judge android as i havent been using it for my daily driver

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I do belive they are behind with hw not sw... but i cant judge android as i havent been using it for my daily driver

I would argue they're much further behind in terms of software than they are hardware. While iPhones may not have some of the newest tech in regards to their hardware, their material, finish, and build quality is still top of the mountain along with Samsung.

With regards to software, Apple stopped being at the forefront of new ideas a long time ago IMO. They operate under the mentality that their user base wants something simple and straight forward and iOS is already that so why change. And when they do introduce a new "feature", it's merely something thats already existed in the Android space but they slap a new name on it and pass it off as new tech (and it usually works very well).

Some of the things you mentioned like shared family photos and live photos already exist in the Google world as well. For me, the only things software-wise that iOS have that is clearly superior to Android is iMessage and app quality. iMessage is something Google should have just copied long ago but instead they insist on pursuing RCS and screwing around with the carriers just to be different than Apple. Its a bad gameplan. When you are already superior in a lot of other areas, sometimes its ok to just match the competition in one field and let your other strength continue to be the deciding factor. But, thats not what they've done. And app quality because it is easier for developers to build apps with only a few devices in mind that have the same typical form and software whereas on Android you have a wide variety of screen sizes, OS skins, control type (gestures, 3 buttons, etc.), and phone specs that its just harder to make a good streamlined app.

And before anything thinks I'm trash talking Apple, I'm really not. I've owned plenty of iPhones and currently use a Ipad Pro (which destroys anything Google has put out in the tablet/PC-lite market ever).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Blah, I don't think iPhones HW is much better than other Android options but then I'm not picky. I think the build on most are pretty good unless you have a low tier phone. I think the camera on my S9 is pretty good too and iPhone isn't better. But again I'm not a professional photographer and don't sweat these things.
IOS/ iPhone is just behind and has been but they lead lead everybody in price so there's that lol.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Blah, I don't think iPhones HW is much better than other Android options but then I'm not picky. I think the build on most are pretty good unless you have a low tier phone. I think the camera on my S9 is pretty good too and iPhone isn't better. But again I'm not a professional photographer and don't sweat these things.
IOS/ iPhone is just behind and has been but they lead lead everybody in price so there's that lol.
I meant Apple is behind in Hw:)

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Has anyone have this problem with their S10 plus? When I watch YouTube full screen, it changes into a thumbnail size. Why does it do this. It usually does it once when I’m watching videos.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Has anyone have this problem with their S10 plus? When I watch YouTube full screen, it changes into a thumbnail size. Why does it do this. It usually does it once when I’m watching videos.

It was the Youtube app. When you press the full screen button, it would go to the bottom in thumbnail form. This has been fixed with today's update.

Reactions: valinda

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Is an S10 still worth getting new these days? I’ve been holding out for the pixel 4 but am tempted by the trade in Samsung is giving for my Pixel 2. I just have a problem with buying something thats been out for almost a year. Typically like to be ahead.

rickray

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Is an S10 still worth getting new these days? I’ve been holding out for the pixel 4 but am tempted by the trade in Samsung is giving for my Pixel 2. I just have a problem with buying something thats been out for almost a year. Typically like to be ahead.

For me it would depend on the trade deal. If it’s a substantial deal then sure. The Pixel 4 will have the same processors as the S10, not the S10 has expandable storage and other features that enhance the experience.
I would also ask about the Note 10. It has some additional things that set it even further apart. Also, if the deal isn’t that extreme, the S11 will be out in about 5 months. Which will likely make the S10 look old.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
If you own a S10, perhaps you should wait for the patch before using the under screen fingerprint scanner.

That BBC article omits one important detail about this issue. BBC gives the impression that a problematic screen protector is a master key with which anything goes once you've installed it. However, as SamMobile points out (https://www.sammobile.com/news/majo...print-flaw-will-be-fixed-with-software-update), you'll need to install a flawed protector and register a valid fingerprint when the problematic protector is installed. Thanks to the problematic screen protector's structure, the reader scans the protectors pattern more than the finger itself, thus making all fingers look the same from its point of view.

So if you've registered your fingerprints with an official Samsung protector on or a naked screen, just applying a cheap protector won't suddenly let anyone bypass the reader just like that.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
In a whole lot of ways I liked my s10+ better then my note 10+. It perfectly nails the big phone that feels small, and I think it is the best looking phone of the year.

I don't think you would have any regrets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.