Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
That BBC article omits one important detail about this issue. BBC gives the impression that a problematic screen protector is a master key with which anything goes once you've installed it. However, as SamMobile points out (https://www.sammobile.com/news/majo...print-flaw-will-be-fixed-with-software-update), you'll need to install a flawed protector and register a valid fingerprint when the problematic protector is installed. Thanks to the problematic screen protector's structure, the reader scans the protectors pattern more than the finger itself, thus making all fingers look the same from its point of view.

So if you've registered your fingerprints with an official Samsung protector on or a naked screen, just applying a cheap protector won't suddenly let anyone bypass the reader just like that.

Whoa. It seems like I was wrong and there actually are some cases that can act as a master key (unless the videos here have been doctored):
So if the video above is valid, this is looking like a huge flaw from Samsung. I hope a fix won't take too long.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
If this is true, it's pretty ridiculous imo and a pretty huge gaff from a premium Samsung device.

Use a Samsung screen protector? SMH

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
And I'm a bit worried about whether they can fix this issue without affecting the scanner's hit/miss ratio negatively.

I agree. It is ridiculous imo if this is true, if basically a generic screen protector can bypass primary security on a premium Samsung device. Nothing is 100% secure, but this deserves significant criticism.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I agree. It is ridiculous imo if this is true, if basically a generic screen protector can bypass primary security on a premium Samsung device. Nothing is 100% secure, but this deserves significant criticism.
While agree Samsung should make users aware of the issue using inferior screen protectors is this not somewhat self inflicted in so far you cheap out and wonder why

My understanding is the issue re registering fingerprints through an inferior protector that then causes the issue not fitting one to get through existing protection ie fake reading, the video above may be misleading

Reactions: SDColorado

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
While agree Samsung should make users aware of the issue using inferior screen protectors is this not somewhat self inflicted in so far you cheap out and wonder why

My understanding is the issue re registering fingerprints through an inferior protector that then causes the issue not fitting one to get through existing protection ie fake reading, the video above may be misleading

How can you tell a good screen protector from a bad one though?
Samsung Galaxy S10/Note 10 fingerprint issue might be more serious than it appears

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
How can you tell a good screen protector from a bad one though?
Samsung Galaxy S10/Note 10 fingerprint issue might be more serious than it appears

I agree interesting

I just tried with my wifes S10+ and 5 bits of different transparent bits of film in the house and I could not unlock her phone nor could she other than through clingfilm

I don't think there is any clear scenario we have seen yet, re patch status or registration through appoved screen protector then spoof without etc etc

All YouTube videos to date seem to omit maybe conveniently some factor

However

Hopefully a patch will be soon to remedy issue like Apples infamous blank password, then we can move on

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
It’s a very weird issue, one would have thought Samsung especially would have tested this. They have gone from having great tech like the Iris Scanner to this, it’s a little disappointing.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
No more disappointment than any other OEM if you wish to use this as a measure

Not really, Samsung held out on In-Screen FPS for quite a while, and part of the assumption was that they did so because they were working on better technology, the S10 and Note10 are essentially their first devices with In-Screen FPS, as they stuck to a physical one last year in the Note9.

Anyway, it seems they were quick to fix the issue now, so that is fantastic!

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Not really, Samsung held out on In-Screen FPS for quite a while, and part of the assumption was that they did so because they were working on better technology, the S10 and Note10 are essentially their first devices with In-Screen FPS, as they stuck to a physical one last year in the Note9.

Anyway, it seems they were quick to fix the issue now, so that is fantastic!
Yep

I was referring to other OEM's issues despite rigourous testing etc crap happens like blank password for example, how do you miss that one lol

Apple and others equally have spectacular failures that are soon patched

Reactions: iSilas and jamezr

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Personally tech is never going to be fool proof, it’s how companies respond and how quickly, that determines customer care quality in my eyes. Samsung appear to be responding fairly well imo

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Wow, didn't think I'd see this fast security update delivery from Samsung.

Not complaining though, far from it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191101-153732_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20191101-153732_Settings.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 238

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Anyone know how to turn on assisted international dialing? Its not listed in the phone settings on my S10 unlocked with Verizon sim.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just an FYI... Amazon has new us unlocked S10 phones starting at 600 bones today lightning deal. About 12 hours remaining

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It is happening folks......

Galaxy Note 10 begins getting its stable Android 10 update with One UI 2.0

What you need to know
  • Samsung has finally started pushing the stable Android 10 update for the Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10+ phones.
  • Currently, however, the update is only available in Germany.
  • The update is likely to become available in at least a few more countries very soon.

https://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-10-begins-getting-its-stable-android-10-update-one-ui-20?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+androidcentral+(Android+Central)

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Reactions: jamezr

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Samsung is killing it on security updates and now Android 10!
I am actually not sure I concider this a positive concidering how buggy the last beta was/is. Hopefully they have worked out the issues, but I definitely could have used a couple more betas. Hope they didn't release what will turn out to just be anogher beta as a "finished product."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.