Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Now the the Note 7 is mostly leaked, anyone ready for the Galaxy S8 rumors next?

It will likely be the most anticipated smart phone release ever (followed closely by the "revamped" iPhone later in 2017).

Since they pretty much perfected the current Galaxy design, think they are ready to beat Apple to the redesign hype?

First renders are out of what this could look like:

- 4K screen
- Flexible glass
- Toned down touchwiz
- Stock UI option
- Flush dual cameras
- Rear buttons
- "Infinity" screen with no bezels
- Fingerprint scanner on screen
- Dual speakers

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Unless it is foldable, don't expect drastic design changes using a slab form factor. The S8 edge likely ends up looking similar to the previous ones and what the HTC One M9 was to the M7 and M8. Look at the entire Xperia Z series from the Z to Z5. Not much variety from Sony's "Omnibalance." If it is another glass slab, expect it to look the same as the S6 and S7.

The only real design changes with most smartphones including iPhone comes from the rear of of the phone. The front generally has little changes since it is mostly glass on front and either has a physical home button or not. The back could be a variety of different materials used. But do we look at the back of our phones most of the time? Nope. And many cover it up with a case anyway. If glass, expect little variations. If iPhone 8 goes glass, expect it to look like an Xperia Z or a Samsung edge.

Even if a new design wows us, we know they will reuse it again for another year or more and with better refinements inside. HTC comes up with a great design in 2013. Still used the design language for the M8, M9, and other models. Sony Xperia M4 Aqua looks like a Z model. The Moto G4 looks like a bigger Nexus 4. A great design will be recycled again and again. Don't wet your pants just yet when you see a great design. Its successor will probably look like it too but faster and better.

images

Reactions: tommysm and 5105973

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I hope they retain the headphone jack. I think Samsung still have utilitarian tendencies so I can see it staying until most others have moved away from it.

I don't want it to go to a 4K screen. I'd much rather they keep it the same resolution to benefit maximally from any improvements in battery size/efficiency.

I hope they make the 64GB version of the S8 more widely available. Here in the UK they only sell the 32GB version of the S7. I like that they've reintroduced the SD card support in the S7 (and hope they keep this) but for myself I've come to prefer having everything in internal storage and not having to bother with managing external storage.

At this point, I'm mostly interested in what they do on the software side. In terms of what's realistic, what I would be most impressed with is if they came out with a commitment that every S8 would receive monthly android security updates within 30 days of release for a period of 2 years (for example).

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
It's Samsung's battle to win, or to lose. And they know that. Likewise, it is Apple's to lose next year if they don't deliver. The competition is finally catching up, and we as consumers have more than one great option for a smartphone. It's a great time to be a smartphone buyer.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My biggest hope is that they redo the home button. It's time to either go capacitive or introduce new technology that can allow the fingerprint sensor to be underneath the display. It's really time to move on from physical home buttons.

On the software side, Samsung should continue improving TW. If their marriage of TW and MM is any indication, TW with Nougat should be superb.

Lastly, please start selling unlocked versions earlier. However, I'm not sure the unlocked S7's are actually getting updated any quicker than the Tmobile S7. Doesn't seem like it, so this last bit is not a dealbreaker because I'm thankfully on Tmobile. Even so, unlocked versions just means more options for consumers.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If they don't go with their Exynos for everyone, I will be disappointed.

Ditto...the snapdragon should be axed.

the 4K display is overkill maybe esp. in regards to the battery, and the infinity screen might not be as good as it might sound, but dual speakers and toned down touch wiz and stock android option sound like winners. Provided they continue to improve on power save options (doze, etc) and improve battery life, this could be sweet.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's just a fact we are all going to have to get used to. No headphone jack is the future.

I am okay with it as long as Samsung can put in something that matches 3.5 mm audio jack quality. Bluetooth isn't quite there yet from what articles mention. I wouldn't replace something for the sake of removing it. It's not addition by subtraction.
[doublepost=1469249420][/doublepost]
It's Samsung's battle to win, or to lose. And they know that. Likewise, it is Apple's to lose next year if they don't deliver. The competition is finally catching up, and we as consumers have more than one great option for a smartphone. It's a great time to be a smartphone buyer.

I can't foresee Apple being innovative next year. I hope I am wrong and could return to the iPhone 8 in 2017 (getting rid of my 6S Plus soon). The rumors are this so far:

OLED, A11 processor, advanced biometrics. That doesn't seem "innovative" to me. An A11 is just a processor upgrade. Processors are at a point where it's just a simple engine upgrade in a car. Apple's processors win in single core performance, which all that matters to a casual phone user. But what does the iPhone offer to people that says "we are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition?" 3D Touch? Not good enough.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am okay with it as long as Samsung can put in something that matches 3.5 mm audio jack quality. Bluetooth isn't quite there yet from what articles mention. I wouldn't replace something for the sake of removing it. It's not addition by subtraction.
[doublepost=1469249420][/doublepost]

I can't foresee Apple being innovative next year. I hope I am wrong and could return to the iPhone 8 in 2017 (getting rid of my 6S Plus soon). The rumors are this so far:

OLED, A11 processor, advanced biometrics. That doesn't seem "innovative" to me. An A11 is just a processor upgrade. Processors are at a point where it's just a simple engine upgrade in a car. Apple's processors win in single core performance, which all that matters to a casual phone user. But what does the iPhone offer to people that says "we are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition?" 3D Touch? Not good enough.

Hope you like USB-C audio.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My biggest hope is that they redo the home button. It's time to either go capacitive or introduce new technology that can allow the fingerprint sensor to be underneath the display. It's really time to move on from physical home buttons.

On the software side, Samsung should continue improving TW. If their marriage of TW and MM is any indication, TW with Nougat should be superb.

Lastly, please start selling unlocked versions earlier. However, I'm not sure the unlocked S7's are actually getting updated any quicker than the Tmobile S7. Doesn't seem like it, so this last bit is not a dealbreaker because I'm thankfully on Tmobile. Even so, unlocked versions just means more options for consumers.
I would love to see Samsung have the unlocked models on the website on release day......
[doublepost=1469279872][/doublepost]
samsung won't get rid of the headphone jack anytime soon imo

they may see that as one of the plus points if people decide to move from iphone to samsung
I agree.....I can't see them removing features at this point in time..... Maybe later at some point though.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wonder if Blue is going to be yet another color Samsung decides not to make avaliable at release. They did that with the Green S6 edge and I wanted that badly, the green wasn't avaliable until months later.

I'm a bit tired of the gold.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012

Assuming that Samsung keeps up the pace that they set beginning with the Galaxy S7, then the iPhone next year will simply be playing catch-up. As you know, there are many, many folks out there that do not shop for phones outside of iPhones (read: most everyone). For those people, even if next-year's iPhone is only catching up to the competition, the new features added are "new" to them. Those are the folks that will purchase the 2017 iPhone in droves. We both know that Apple can design and market a beautiful phone, regardless of what the competition is doing.

Or... next year's iPhone will be the one that blows us all away. Apple could introduce new technologies that we've never seen before. If anyone has the wallet to introduce breakthrough technologies first, it's Apple. And heck, I'd buy that iPhone. But til I see it, I'm not holding my breath. We haven't even seen the Galaxy S8 (or the rumored "Google Phone").

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Samsung’s Project Dream is the Galaxy S8 with a 4K VR-ready display

Samsung fans might be focused on the Galaxy Note 7 right now but once this flagship is unveiled on August 2 they will start to think about the Galaxy S8 which won’t arrive until early next year. There have been some rumors about this handset already and the latest out of China suggest that the Galaxy S8 is referred to internally at Samsung as Project Dream. The Galaxy S8 is also said to have a VR-ready 4K display.

If the rumors are to be believed, the Galaxy S8 will be Samsung’s first consumer handset with a 4K VR display. Samsung already demonstrated its 5.5-inch 4K display for VR earlier this year so it won’t be surprising to see that display in the company’s next flagship. The Galaxy S8 is also rumored to have certification for Google’s Daydream VR standard which also requires devices to have a suite of sensors to prove an even better VR experience. Not a lot of information is available about the Galaxy S8 right now but we will surely hear more about it in the months to come. It’s too soon to be sure right now when Samsung is going to launch the Galaxy S8 but if history is any indication, we’re bound to see it early next year.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Assuming that Samsung keeps up the pace that they set beginning with the Galaxy S7, then the iPhone next year will simply be playing catch-up. As you know, there are many, many folks out there that do not shop for phones outside of iPhones (read: most everyone). For those people, even if next-year's iPhone is only catching up to the competition, the new features added are "new" to them. Those are the folks that will purchase the 2017 iPhone in droves. We both know that Apple can design and market a beautiful phone, regardless of what the competition is doing.

Or... next year's iPhone will be the one that blows us all away. Apple could introduce new technologies that we've never seen before. If anyone has the wallet to introduce breakthrough technologies first, it's Apple. And heck, I'd buy that iPhone. But til I see it, I'm not holding my breath. We haven't even seen the Galaxy S8 (or the rumored "Google Phone").

Well, the days of the $800 smartphone are dwindling. Apple isn't even as good as they once were because of the lack of software features, more hardware issues, etc. Even Apple made the SE, which is so unlike them because since when do they offer flagship (their flagship) specs to a cheaper price point? The ZTE Axon and OP3 are disrupting the flagship mobile market.

Reactions: v0lume4 and jamezr

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Well, the days of the $800 smartphone are dwindling. Apple isn't even as good as they once were because of the lack of software features, more hardware issues, etc. Even Apple made the SE, which is so unlike them because since when do they offer flagship (their flagship) specs to a cheaper price point? The ZTE Axon and OP3 are disrupting the flagship mobile market.

The challenge for Samsung and others will be how to convince buyers to continue paying $$$ for the high end phones in the face of very good quality Android phones that cost $250-400.

Apple doesn't have that problem.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Actually with the SE we can see for the first time in a long time, they average sale price for an iPhone has fallen instead of the annual increase.

http://www.businesspost.ie/apples-low-cost-iphone-bright-spot-in-results/
The risk is that propping up revenue with the cheaper handset comes at the expense of Apple’s unparalleled smartphone profit margins. The average price for iPhones in the recent period fell to $595, from $660 a year earlier, reflecting the rise in popularity of the less expensive device. Gross margin in the fourth quarter will be 37.5 per cent to 38 per cent of revenue, narrower than the 38.3 per cent analysts had predicted on average, and smaller than the 39.9 per cent margin of the year-earlier quarter.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
The challenge for Samsung and others will be how to convince buyers to continue paying $$$ for the high end phones in the face of very good quality Android phones that cost $250-400.

Apple actually does here in the US. Samsung's S7 and S7 Edge are outselling the iPhone 6S/6S Plus despite the iPhone being out longer. It might be a back and forth between the two in theory, but I don't see the 7 doing so great because of all the 2017 talk. Apple can't even sell better than Samsung in their home country. Samsung has the issue of convincing people, but with their sleuth of hardware advantages, they have an easier job with 4K displays, enhanced VR, retina scanners, etc. The iPhone 7 might be barely catching up to the old Nexuses with wireless charging and the like.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Apple does have that problem. Sales of devices are down YoY and a second quarter in a row of declining iphone sales. So they either come out with a new iphone with something new and exciting that people can't live without and will buy in droves. Or they start cutting the price point and entice new users who could not afford the iphone before. Thye have kinda done this with the iphone SE already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit and nviz22

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Apple actually does here in the US. Samsung's S7 and S7 Edge are outselling the iPhone 6S/6S Plus despite the iPhone being out longer. It might be a back and forth between the two in theory, but I don't see the 7 doing so great because of all the 2017 talk. Apple can't even sell better than Samsung in their home country. Samsung has the issue of convincing people, but with their sleuth of hardware advantages, they have an easier job with 4K displays, enhanced VR, retina scanners, etc. The iPhone 7 might be barely catching up to the old Nexuses with wireless charging and the like.

I still think this is more of a problem for Android than Apple.

Apple merely has to compete w/ the SE whereas Android has to
Apple does have that problem. Sales of devices are down YoY and a second quarter in a row of declining iphone sales. So they either come out with a new iphone with something new and exciting that people can't live without and will buy in droves. Or they start cutting the price point and entice new users who could not afford the iphone before. Thye have kinda done this with the iphone SE already.

But Apple's problem is not to the same degree.

Every phone manufacturer is going to fight to keep those buyers for the high end including Apple...but Apple only has to compete with Apple (7/7+ against the SE) as opposed to Android and the growing number of really good mid-priced phones.

Don't get me wrong...the high end Android phones outclass what Apple brings to the table, but the former has to fend off the growing challenge from their own ranks.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I still think this is more of a problem for Android than Apple.

Apple merely has to compete w/ the SE whereas Android has to

But Apple's problem is not to the same degree.

Every phone manufacturer is going to fight to keep those buyers for the high end including Apple...but Apple only has to compete with Apple (7/7+ against the SE) as opposed to Android and the growing number of really good mid-priced phones.

Don't get me wrong...the high end Android phones outclass what Apple brings to the table, but the former has to fend off the growing challenge from their own ranks.
I agree with what you are saying.....I don't think we are that far apart. Android has the unique problem of a bunch of emerging companies that are producing great phones at a great value and lower price point. But some of the people buying those phones are apple customer as well. They see the return of technology for the price and either switch or add second phone
So Apple's problem is they either has to lower their price point (which they are reluctant to do) or introduce new must have products or features.

The iPhone SE has a lower price point but also removes some features as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.