Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Markets where there was no Oreo beta so maybe it's something to do with language? The final beta 6/7 were near perfect.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Because they’re still good and some people might think the S9 is not that huge of an upgrade would be my guess.

S7 was a good phone, but I saw some major price drops in Feb 2017. I honestly don't see a reason to get the regular S9. The S9+ is too pricey for my liking too. Buying a S7 for $150 to flip for the S9+ at $650 doesn't bode well for me either.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
S7 was a good phone, but I saw some major price drops in Feb 2017. I honestly don't see a reason to get the regular S9. The S9+ is too pricey for my liking too. Buying a S7 for $150 to flip for the S9+ at $650 doesn't bode well for me either.

I’ve read and heard more stories of “the S7 slowed down after a year” than S8.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I’ve read and heard more stories of “the S7 slowed down after a year” than S8.

That is an issue with many Samsung devices though. People are complaining on XDA or Reddit even with the Note 8. Samsung's software is so feature laden, but it is also so hit or miss for folks. My friend that I sold my old S7 to says he got rid of his lag w/ Nova Launcher.

I am so critical on Samsung because they have so many resources, tremendous hardware, and many users. They shouldn't be so problematic software wise. When I had the iPhone X, I noticed it was a bit more fluid than the Note 8 because of a few micro stutters here and there. The Pixel 2 felt so much more fluid than Samsung even with less RAM.

Reactions: 5105973

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Acquired a S8 lately, for wireless charger do I need the phone to be out of case to charge ?
It's dependent on the thickness of the case. There's a metal coil in the phone and usually 1-3 coils on the charger. More coils give you more room for error, not having to line the device up perfectly on the charger. With a bigger gap between the phones, as well as a denser material, you get a slower charge rate and eventually none with a gap large enough.

Reactions: ramram55

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
That is an issue with many Samsung devices though. People are complaining on XDA or Reddit even with the Note 8. Samsung's software is so feature laden, but it is also so hit or miss for folks. My friend that I sold my old S7 to says he got rid of his lag w/ Nova Launcher.

I am so critical on Samsung because they have so many resources, tremendous hardware, and many users. They shouldn't be so problematic software wise. When I had the iPhone X, I noticed it was a bit more fluid than the Note 8 because of a few micro stutters here and there. The Pixel 2 felt so much more fluid than Samsung even with less RAM.

I have the s7 edge for my work phone, and it has drastically slowed down now and lags pretty bad. The battery is also at 78% health. I am glad I am due for an upgrade this month and can;t decide on the S9+ or the V30. I have a Note 8 as my personal phone which is snappy with no issues.
[doublepost=1520987135][/doublepost]
Acquired a S8 lately, for wireless charger do I need the phone to be out of case to charge ?
No, wireless charging works through most cases as long as they aren't metal. I use Spigen myself and all my wireless chargers from Anker, Samsung, even the one in my car works great.

Reactions: ramram55 and nviz22

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Because they’re still good and some people might think the S9 is not that huge of an upgrade would be my guess.

I would tend to agree here. I picked up a S8 a month ago to play around with for $380 on Swappa. Granted it was well used, but I was only concerned that the phone was 100% functional. I figured that S8 prices would drop a good amount once the S9 was released, but I check Swappa almost everyday and prices seem to be holding steady. From my standpoint, if the S8 was my DD, I would have no reason to upgrade to the S9.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Lots of companies I deal with have turned to using the S8 as their corporate device. And most are coming from iPhones and iPads. Reason most gave for the transition was it's easier to write and control apps on Android. USB-C was also another factor, as lightning cords had to be replaced too often.

Reactions: ramram55

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma... have owned a S8 for almost a year now (came from the iPhone 7), but I've experienced some unusual bugs lately like the fingerprint scanner doesn't recognize my finger all of a sudden, app crashes, notifications not coming in (fb messenger notifications don't work no matter what I do, messenger lite works fine though) and minor stuff like that. It did get the Oreo update, but like a half year after it's release on the Pixel.

So because of all that, I'm thinking about switching back to iOS again and iPhone 8 is my choice, purely because of the smaller form factor. Am I giving up too much if I switch? I know it's a definite downgrade screen-wise, but what else does the S8 do better than the iPhone 8?

Puddled

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
So I'm in a bit of a dilemma... have owned a S8 for almost a year now (came from the iPhone 7), but I've experienced some unusual bugs lately like the fingerprint scanner doesn't recognize my finger all of a sudden, app crashes, notifications not coming in (fb messenger notifications don't work no matter what I do, messenger lite works fine though) and minor stuff like that. It did get the Oreo update, but like a half year after it's release on the Pixel.

So because of all that, I'm thinking about switching back to iOS again and iPhone 8 is my choice, purely because of the smaller form factor. Am I giving up too much if I switch? I know it's a definite downgrade screen-wise, but what else does the S8 do better than the iPhone 8?

Factory reset the phone and set it up as new. Do not restore anything. You probably have picked up some OS gremlins is all.

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
Factory reset the phone and set it up as new. Do not restore anything. You probably have picked up some OS gremlins is all.

You're probably right, but I do keep my phone clean as much as possible. Hesitant to do a factory reset, getting everything back to as it was prior to that is not as seamless as restoring an iPhone.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
You're probably right, but I do keep my phone clean as much as possible. Hesitant to do a factory reset, getting everything back to as it was prior to that is not as seamless as restoring an iPhone.
It may not be as seamless but it would take 45 mins tops. Surely its worth it unless you're just wanting someone to tell you you're doing the right thing by going back to iPhone?

Reactions: yui4

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
It may not be as seamless but it would take 45 mins tops. Surely its worth it unless you're just wanting someone to tell you you're doing the right thing by going back to iPhone?

Not about doing things "right" here, I usually switch platforms every year at least once depending on which phone comes out and when. Flagship phones have advanced to a point where there is no "better" phone, you just have different phones which are equally good IMO.

Well aware of what perks and what advantages each device brings to the table, just thought I'd hear a different perspective on it.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014

Have you tried clearing the Cache partition. I did it before and after the Oreo update, my device is running smooth.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I am having Smart switch back up on win 10 without problem. Yet Mac no success. Always say connection not established. What gives?

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom

Storage expansion, slightly better water resistance, probably a better FF camera, better cellular connectivity, and of course Android things.

The iPhone 8 has a better camera, better speakers, screen looks good although not as good as the S8, Touch ID is brilliant and imo better than the S8 fingerprint scanner, is a faster device overall. Also you’d get updates much quicker, and better app quality, but that’s more of an iOS thing.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Storage expansion, slightly better water resistance, probably a better FF camera, better cellular connectivity, and of course Android things.

The iPhone 8 has a better camera, better speakers, screen looks good although not as good as the S8, Touch ID is brilliant and imo better than the S8 fingerprint scanner, is a faster device overall. Also you’d get updates much quicker, and better app quality, but that’s more of an iOS thing.

As an former s8 owner and now the iphone 8,the camera on the s8 is a bit better imo.

It has faster autofocus which i do miss alot.

But maybe the pics on the s8 looks better because of the sharper and bigger Screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.