Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
As an former s8 owner and now the iphone 8,the camera on the s8 is a bit better imo.

It has faster autofocus which i do miss alot.

But maybe the pics on the s8 looks better because of the sharper and bigger Screen?

Personal opinion really, but from every review I’ve seen, and my own opinion, the iPhone 8 has the better camera. The S8 screen does make it look better than it is, due to it having a highly saturated OLED screen.

Reactions: ultravegeta1981

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
Storage expansion, slightly better water resistance, probably a better FF camera, better cellular connectivity, and of course Android things.

The iPhone 8 has a better camera, better speakers, screen looks good although not as good as the S8, Touch ID is brilliant and imo better than the S8 fingerprint scanner, is a faster device overall. Also you’d get updates much quicker, and better app quality, but that’s more of an iOS thing.

I do miss the timely OS updates, Oreo arrived a couple of weeks ago, that's just not going to cut it.

Really do miss the fingerprint sensor in the front of the device. I can manage the S8 with one hand, but more often than not I have to adjust my grip and be careful not to touch the screen by accident since there's very little bezel to hold on to.

The water resistance and FF camera shouldn't be a problem... looks like I'll be migrating back to iOS again. Curious to see how the integration between my macbook pro and iPhone will work, that's another reason I'm switching.

Hate giving up the S8 screen, but true tone should make up for it a bit. Plus iPhones have always been better to adjusting the brightness automatically, I have to change it manually 2-3 times a day with the s8.

Reactions: Sparky2012

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I do miss the timely OS updates, Oreo arrived a couple of weeks ago, that's just not going to cut it.

What new stuff you get with Oreo?
I just updated to Oreo on my S8+...and lo and behold there is really no significant difference.

Badges? I already got that with nova. Battery life? No significant difference either.

But the flip side is Oreo broke quite a few apps I am using.

People like to use iPhone to compare. Problem is iPhone is pretty screwed up without updates as many apps are welded into the firmware. iPhone updates are more like app updates on android.

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe

What new stuff you get with Oreo?
I just updated to Oreo on my S8+...and lo and behold there is really no significant difference.

Badges? I already got that with nova. Battery life? No significant difference either.

But the flip side is Oreo broke quite a few apps I am using.

People like to use iPhone to compare. Problem is iPhone is pretty screwed up without updates as many apps are welded into the firmware. iPhone updates are more like app updates on android.

You're right, not much has changed.

One thing I've noticed though, you can open a video in Chrome, full screen it and press the home button... and the video continues playing in a small window, while you do other stuff on your phone. Comes in really handy when I'm streaming a football game on my phone. Other than that it's pretty much the same thing.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
You're right, not much has changed.

One thing I've noticed though, you can open a video in Chrome, full screen it and press the home button... and the video continues playing in a small window, while you do other stuff on your phone. Comes in really handy when I'm streaming a football game on my phone. Other than that it's pretty much the same thing.

I also noticed I can have Netflix in split screen mode with another app now.

Edit: maybe it was a Netflix update :)

Last edited:

hemon

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

I would like to change my iPhone X for the S8 or S9. But I would like to know before if you have (had) lags over the time. Expecially if you come from the iPhone: are you (always) happy with the change?

Thank you

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Go for it. You will be happy with the change. I am using s8 now. It has no lag. The screen used by apple x is supplied by Samsung, in case you are not aware of it.

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
Go for it. You will be happy with the change. I am using s8 now. It has no lag. The screen used by apple x is supplied by Samsung, in case you are not aware of it.

I wouldn't say it has no lag. I've owned one for almost a year now and I definitely experience lag or dropped frames might be a better description?

But yeah, the phone is blazing fast and you'll not see much difference from the X... but you will not get 60 fps animations 100% of the time like on the iPhone. That's something I absolutely hate every time it happens, but hey it's a compromise you need to be willing to accept because the pros outweigh the cons in the end.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I was having some lag issues after updating to Oreo, and a erase/reset of the phone fixed it. The only remaining issue I have is with Action Launcher sometimes not showing icons in folder or app drawer, but I don't know if it's an S8/Oreo-specific issue or just an issue with the last update of the launcher. I see others complaining about the same issue in reviews on the Play Store.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My brother just got a refund for his S8. He found the battery life to be lacking. Overnight he would lose 20% just through standby. I told him that faulty batteries in phones and gadgets are more common than people think.

The store didn't want to refund him but he contacted head office and insisted it's sent away for diagnosis and now two weeks later he's getting his money back.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Can't say I've had lag. The camera focus is fast and it's come in useful at times when you need something fast focusing. Only real complaint is my S8 seems to be a dust magnet or likely holds a light charger on its surface. I'm thinking of putting it in an enclosed case but I can't find one that doesn't make it resemble a brick/weapon you can lob someone on the side of the head and give them a serious concussion.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
My S8+ just got updated to the July patches, and that makes it a 6-month streak of getting monthly security updates and also within the same month they were originally released by Google. If it weren’t for the skipped January, the streak would be 8 months. Within the last year my S8+ has received monthly updates 9 times out of 12, and now the ongoing streak of 6 months is making it look like Samsung is giving more priority to timely patches. I hope they’ll keep it that way.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
My S8+ just got updated to the July patches, and that makes it a 6-month streak of getting monthly security updates and also within the same month they were originally released by Google. If it weren’t for the skipped January, the streak would be 8 months. Within the last year my S8+ has received monthly updates 9 times out of 12, and now the ongoing streak of 6 months is making it look like Samsung is giving more priority to timely patches. I hope they’ll keep it that way.

Now the streak is 7 months. The August patches arrived yesterday, which is surprisingly fast for Samsung. Typically I've got them closer to the end of the month.

Reactions: sman789

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
s8 got massive screen burn, half the screen is pink.

No more samsung phones for me.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA

Do you use max brightness a lot and have the screen on for long periods of time? Even the iPhone X can get burn in. Visit a Best Buy and most likely the dock icons will be burnt in.

With that said, those screens are manufactured by Samsung for Apple. :D

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I'm over the year period, half the screen is light pink.

I never use full brightness I keep it in stock brightness.

I'm pissed off. I wanna know if lcd screens do this ala htc u12.

I got this for 424 last year from Slickdeals j locked.

I'll call Samsung and see what they say.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
LCD's don't, this is only an issue with AMOLED.
I'm over the year period, half the screen is light pink.

I never use full brightness I keep it in stock brightness.

I'm pissed off. I wanna know if lcd screens do this ala htc u12.

I got this for 424 last year from Slickdeals j locked.

I'll call Samsung and see what they say.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

Have you registered your phone through your Samsung account to check your warranty date? You may find you have an additional month on your warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.