Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well that sucks :( How far behind is it? I guess it’s the SnapDragon model?

Yeah, the Snapdragon unlocked. Still on September. Didn’t get the camera update either.

Well that's odd as I was in Samsung shop today and they are only $750 for the 128GB and the update on the display model was pending

Weird. Because I bought mine shortly after it came out and it was 1000$.

I check every day and it still isn’t there. It’s almost like they ship it out to carriers first or something. I’ll have to look into that.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I check every day and it still isn’t there. It’s almost like they ship it out to carriers first or something.

They do. In the United States the carrier models receive updates before the unlocked models. I noticed that on my unlocked Galaxy S8+ when I had it. Updates were always at least two months behind the carrier versions.

My Sprint Galaxy S9+ has already received the October security patch.

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
Personal opinion really, but from every review I’ve seen, and my own opinion, the iPhone 8 has the better camera. The S8 screen does make it look better than it is, due to it having a highly saturated OLED screen.
Is this still a thing? Where folk have no idea how a Samsung screen can operate.. there's 4 distinct viewing modes, exactly like a fancy tv, so you can choose how you want to view. and yes, there is a natural selection as well.. have you thought, that it looks better.. because... it just is....

Reactions: SteveJUAE

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Glad they are still supporting these, a friend of mine just picked one up. Not sure why she did that when they had the s9 on for $0 all week lol. But it’s got the same processor as the wife’s note 8 and it still flies along just fine. Runs better then it did when it was first released after the updates

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How is your battery life on Pie? Is the overall speed of the device the same? I'm dreading worse battery life and slowdowns if I install Pie on my Note 8. I love the phone as it is right now.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Mine updated yesterday to Pie and the battery life is better than Oreo. While watching videos, searching the web and social media I'd lose 1% every 4:30 minutes now it's losing 1% at every 6:42 minutes. Incredible. Everything is faster and smoother aswell.

Reactions: sman789

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm also excited about Pie on my S8! Hopefully the carrier updates in the US will start rolling out next week.

I seem to be one of the few who actually doesn't like the hole punch on the S10, after seeing it in person. I'd rather have small bezels rather than a hole punch. Even the teardrop/Infinity-U notch on the other Samsung devices looks better IMO.

I was really looking forward to the S10e prior to release, since I don't like the curves on my S8, but the decreased pixel density looks bad, compared to my S8. I'm really surprised more people aren't complaining about the loss of clarity with the lower PPI.

I think the Pie update will keep me happy with the S8 for a while longer!

Reactions: ramram55

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Tomorrow will be one week since I received the S8 update on AT&T. Overall I like the updates. However, I believe that my battery is draining much more quickly at idle than it was previously.

One thing that I've found annoying is the new app switcher UI. When I open it, the second most recent app pulls up rather than the most recent. I'd really like it to work like stock Android and pull up the app that I'm currently looking at or last had open.

Now if I want to swipe away an app to close it, the app that I'm currently in and want to close is the off to the right than in the center of the screen. It's a small thing, but it's weird that they changed it from how it works on stock/Pixel devices.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
After a brief stint with Pixel 4, I'm back to my S8. I prefer the feel and design of my S8 over the S9, S10, and any other device that I've held. It's just the perfect weight and size! And there's no dumb hole or notch in the screen.

It seems as if Samsung plans to make the series much larger with the S11, which is very disappointing if true. Even the S11e will have a 6.4 inch screen, and then the other models will go up in size from that. There will no longer be a normal size device it seems.

The good news is that considering the S7 is still receiving security updates, the S8 should be good to go for at least another year. https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

At this point I have no idea what my next device will be. I'm really set on the dimensions of my S8, and I also really like the high PPI. When comparing with other devices of a lower pixel density, it's a noticeable benefit to have the 1440p screen.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
After a brief stint with Pixel 4, I'm back to my S8. I prefer the feel and design of my S8 over the S9, S10, and any other device that I've held. It's just the perfect weight and size! And there's no dumb hole or notch in the screen.

It seems as if Samsung plans to make the series much larger with the S11, which is very disappointing if true. Even the S11e will have a 6.4 inch screen, and then the other models will go up in size from that. There will no longer be a normal size device it seems.

The good news is that considering the S7 is still receiving security updates, the S8 should be good to go for at least another year. https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

At this point I have no idea what my next device will be. I'm really set on the dimensions of my S8, and I also really like the high PPI. When comparing with other devices of a lower pixel density, it's a noticeable benefit to have the 1440p screen.
I held on to my S8 after getting the LG G8 a few months back. Every time I pick up the S8, I miss it's feel, everything is just right. When the time comes, when Android is too slow and heavy for the S8, you can try running a modified OS on it.

Reactions: Lava Lamp Freak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.