Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I am thinking of getting a new phone and currently I am confused between getting the Note 10+ or the ASUS ROG Phone 2.

One is a gaming phone while the other is more of a productivity phone.

Both good in their own strengths. However which is the better phone overall?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would reckon the Note 10+ is a better phone overall for the following reasons: quality and resolution of the screen, cameras, more refined OS (although it's far from everyone's favorite), sleeker design, better speakers and fingerprint scanner it seems. Also Note 10+, as big as it is, is not quite as massive as the ROG Phone 2.

Ways ROG Phone 2 beats Note 10+: ROG Phone 2 has the headphone jack, much better battery, 120hz refresh (though the panel is inferior in every other way), Snapdragon 855+ instead of plain 855, 1TB storage, and the OS is closer to stock Android. Plus more "gamer" features and design, if you're into that.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I would reckon the Note 10+ is a better phone overall for the following reasons: quality and resolution of the screen, cameras, more refined OS (although it's far from everyone's favorite), sleeker design, better speakers and fingerprint scanner it seems. Also Note 10+, as big as it is, is not quite as massive as the ROG Phone 2.

Ways ROG Phone 2 beats Note 10+: ROG Phone 2 has the headphone jack, much better battery, 120hz refresh (though the panel is inferior in every other way), Snapdragon 855+ instead of plain 855, 1TB storage, and the OS is closer to stock Android. Plus more "gamer" features and design, if you're into that.

Your reply confused me even more.

The biggest worry for the ASUS ROG Phone 2 is the resale value as the ASUS brand is not well known in mobile phone market.

I really like the 120hz refresh rate, the Snapdragon 855+ processor and the huge battery. The 3 main things I like about the phone. Then there is the RGB lighting but I am not a hardcore gamer though.

Note 10+ has an amazing screen but it has the same processor as the Galaxy s10+ which I am using now.
The stylus support is the only thing that is catching my attention.

The camera features in Note 10+ I assume are better than ROG phone2.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Your reply confused me even more.

The biggest worry for the ASUS ROG Phone 2 is the resale value as the ASUS brand is not well known in mobile phone market.

I really like the 120hz refresh rate, the Snapdragon 855+ processor and the huge battery. The 3 main things I like about the phone. Then there is the RGB lighting but I am not a hardcore gamer though.

Note 10+ has an amazing screen but it has the same processor as the Galaxy s10+ which I am using now.
The stylus support is the only thing that is catching my attention.

The camera features in Note 10+ I assume are better than ROG phone2.

FWIW, the resale value of the Note 10+, at least here in the USA, won't be that great either. New In Box Note 10+ can already be had for over $200 off MSRP on swappa.com.

In my opinion, I think the ROG Phone 2 is really just a spec monster that has a 2 day battery. If those 2 things are the most important to you, then I think that's the phone for you. The Note 10+ is no slouch in the spec department but will only get ~1 day battery but will have more refinements and improvements to the camera, UI (skin), and updates.

Keep in mind, I have not even seen a ROG phone 2 in person and am only going off reviews. I have had a Note 10 and it is an excellent phone.

Reactions: MCube74

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
If the Asus RoG Phone 2 had a 4K screen I wouldn't think twice.
Thought the 120hz refresh rate is tempting though.

Also the fact that I already am using the Galaxy S10+, note 10+ performance bis just the same.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Note 10 + pretty easily for me. Specs are one thing but refinement is something thats hard to experience until you have both phones in your hands. I havent played with a ROG phone but I cant imagine the hardware, software, and overall user experience match up.

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
So you suggest it is okay to change from Galaxy S10+ to a Note 10+ rather than ASUS Rog Phone 2

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I didnt realize you were coming from a S10 Plus. I mean, in my opinion the difference between the S10 plus and the Note 10 + isnt enough to justify the cost. But if you're dead set on a new phone and its between those two, I would go with the Note 10 + for sure.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
To me it would come down to which display you prefer. Flat, longer (bigger wide screen movie picture) with lower resolution (still totally fine imo) but no hole punch or notch, or curved, wider, higher resolution, and a hole punch. Oh, and of course if you have use for the pen then that speaks for the Note if course.

The other specs I don't think make any significant difference honestly.

I'd have chosen the ROG II because watching movies/vids is important to me and I don't like curves or hole punches/notches getting in the way of that.

Reactions: tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
To me it would come down to which display you prefer. Flat, longer (bigger wide screen movie picture) with lower resolution (still totally fine imo) but no hole punch or notch, or curved, wider, higher resolution, and a hole punch. Oh, and of course if you have use for the pen then that speaks for the Note if course.

The other specs I don't think make any significant difference honestly.

I'd have chosen the ROG II because watching movies/vids is important to me and I don't like curves or hole punches/notches getting in the way of that.

On that same note, the stereo front facing speakers are supposedly really good. So if you are someone who enjoys movies, shows, YT content, heck even games, then this would give you a pretty immersive experience with screen and audio.

Reactions: tbayrgs

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'd lean towards the Note 10+ since Samsung build quality is proven and it's a well rounded device. For the ROG II, few apps currently take advantage of 120Hz and Snapdragon 855+ isn't a significant jump over 855 so with few advantages left such as balanced front facing stereo speakers and extended 6000mAh battery life @ 60Hz it has to be priced attractively at ~$600 for global version to consider it instead.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The Galaxy Note 10+ seems to be the overall better phone, as it is more balanced. But I would go for the ROG Phone 2 hands down. The Note 10+ may have some features that are important to many users (wireless charging, waterproof, great camera), but I far prefer what the ROG Phone 2 has to offer (120 Hz screen, 6,000 mAh battery, increased performance).
[automerge]1573643903[/automerge]
If the Asus RoG Phone 2 had a 4K screen I wouldn't think twice.
Thought the 120hz refresh rate is tempting though.

Also the fact that I already am using the Galaxy S10+, note 10+ performance bis just the same.

I do not get it. Why someone needs a 4K resolution on a phone. Many people seem to be fine with a Full HD resolution on a laptop, which has a much larger screen, but cannot stand it on a phone. I cannot identify the pixels on a Full HD phone screen, and I definitely do not need more than that, especially as it usually means an impact on battery life.
[automerge]1573644064[/automerge]
Note 10 + pretty easily for me. Specs are one thing but refinement is something thats hard to experience until you have both phones in your hands. I havent played with a ROG phone but I cant imagine the hardware, software, and overall user experience match up.

Well, both phones are refined. It may be personal, but I do not really like Samsung's curved display. I think it makes it harder to protect the screen with a case, and I just prefer flat screens. Plus, I acknowledge that Samsung's Android interface has improved a lot, but I still prefer something closer to the original experience, as the one provided by Asus.
[automerge]1573644273[/automerge]

I mostly agree with you, except for the "more refined OS" part. Samsung's interface is fine, as it fixed the previous terrible one (which was not refined at all). But still, it does not mean it is more refined than the original Android.

Although the Note 10+ has more features, I far prefer those present in the ROG Phone 2. I never used wireless charging, and I do not really need impressive cameras. I would rather have a huge battery and a 120 Hz screen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.