Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanker-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
The hell with Iwalk and Ipod, Say hello to iTablet. This is definitly the time and the place for this bad boy. With the advent of Windows XP tablet edition. Don't you think Apple would benefit from a tablet computer. Perfect for Photoshop and Illustrator. You could paint right on the screen!. Maybe Steve was right, PDA's have been cornered, its time for tablets! OSX tablet edition. Think about it, why wouldn't they do this!?

Attachments

• itablet.jpg
    itablet.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 7,553

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Say Hello to iTablet

Originally posted by Tanker-X
Think about it, why wouldn't they do this!?

hmmm, a computer thats less functional, harder to input stuff into (typing will always be faster), that's too bulky to be really portable. And it needs to have its batteries charged, probably fairly frequently. Sorry, i really don't see the appeal of tablets. The only people who ever talk about them is microsoft. I think they are trying to create a market in hopes that no one will notice that no one actually needs these things (much like palm did). When someone explains to me why a tablet is better than a laptop, maybe I'll reconsider.

As for use with photoshop, etc, I'm thinking its probably not a big enough screen for the pros, that the screen would get ruined very quickly by "painting" on it, and it would presumably be less powerful than a desktop, which leaves it where exactly?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Say Hello to iTablet

i think something like this would be good for
doctors, foremen, teachers....but the general
public....naw, just my opinion. even if certain
industries did find a device like this useful i feel
potential customers would really like it to be
touch screen so they can launch a keyboard
and type right on the screen...virtual keyboard...
or awesome voice recognition or both.

Tanker-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
It would be touch screen and have voice recognition. I personally have an ibook and have to lug around the 6 lb dead weight everywhere I go. I much rather have something like a ditial clipboard that weighs only 2lbs. I'm not looking to play unreal on it, just work. I think PDA's suck because of the limited OS's and memory. This device could sinc up to your computer and immediatly transfer information, have built in 802.11b and bluetooth(slow anyway). I still see no downside. What makes an ibook better? The fact it has a keyboard? There are many protoype tablets with built in keyboards on the reverse side that can flip around to simulate a laptop. I still see more positives than negatives. On November 7th Microsoft will release all their tablets into the market, I guess we will have to wait and see what type of response it will have. Believe me Apple has made worse mistakes than the iTablet. Don't even get me started on the eMate.:eek:

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by Tanker-X
It would be touch screen and have voice recognition. I personally have an ibook and have to lug around the 6 lb dead weight everywhere I go. I much rather have something like a ditial clipboard that weighs only 2lbs. I'm not looking to play unreal on it, just work. I think PDA's suck because of the limited OS's and memory. This device could sinc up to your computer and immediatly transfer information, have built in 802.11b and bluetooth(slow anyway). I still see no downside. What makes an ibook better? The fact it has a keyboard? There are many protoype tablets with built in keyboards on the reverse side that can flip around to simulate a laptop. I still see more positives than negatives. On November 7th Microsoft will release all their tablets into the market, I guess we will have to wait and see what type of response it will have. Believe me Apple has made worse mistakes than the iTablet. Don't even get me started on the eMate.:eek:

industries that need tablet PC's already have them, and have had them for years and years. doctors use them, I'm sure plenty of others do as well. Heck, just look at those things UPS guys carry around to sign for packages (its bulky, but it does the job). I don't know what work you intend on doing on something like this, but it would certainly be very limited.

What makes an iBook better. well, its got an optical drive, keyboard, better processor than a tablet would probably sport, more ports for making it useful for other things. it folds up at least as small as this thing is, probably more so. the screen is protected when a laptop is closed, this thing is open all the time. a tablet is just a giant PDA, without the convience of size. considering you could get a PC notebook for probably the same price and one thats very light (like the sony vaio's without the optical drives), whats the point. frankly I don't see a single postitive to a tablet that would make it actually better than a laptop (not necessarily the iBook which is fairly heavy, but laptops in general). you could integrate a touchscreen and voice recognition into a laptop if you wanted (neither of which I think are all that great for a variety of reasons)

Would it be the worst mistake apple ever made, probably not. But it would fail I'm willing to bet.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Handwriting recognition...

... of graffiti is acceptable, but I still have considerable errors. Newton 1.3 was laughably bad. Sometimes it'd recognize words and not have even one letter in common. It was completely unusable. I recently got a Newton 2100 with 2.1 OS on it and guess what? It's still terrible. For word processing it's got to be 99.99% or better - Graffiti is around 95%, and Newton 2.1 is around 70% if that. Even a stretched Palm would be slammed in the press. There is no substitute for a keyboard.

Now if you're going to just draw on the thing, or turn off the recognition and save it as an image, that's a little different. Letter size is too big; palm is too small. What you need is something in between, around the size of... you know... a previous Apple product:D

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
I can't imagine why anyone outside a small niche would buy a tablet computer, so I can't believe Apple would bother. Bill Gates may think tablets are the wave of the future, but I see them dying like "internet appliances" did, because no one would buy what's basically an extremely limited laptop.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Steve Jobs said himself "who wants to handwrite all of their emails" when talking about tablet pc's, perhaps a union of the laptop and the tablet type screen or an iMac even.
Apple did bring back Newtons handwriting recognition software for something and I doubt it was for third-party pads.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Handwriting recognition...

Originally posted by cubist
... of graffiti is acceptable, but I still have considerable errors. Newton 1.3 was laughably bad. Sometimes it'd recognize words and not have even one letter in common. It was completely unusable. I recently got a Newton 2100 with 2.1 OS on it and guess what? It's still terrible. For word processing it's got to be 99.99% or better - Graffiti is around 95%, and Newton 2.1 is around 70% if that. Even a stretched Palm would be slammed in the press. There is no substitute for a keyboard.

You must have some "interesting" handwriting for the newton 2.1 not to work very well for you.....Mine is like scratch from a chicken inside a coffin, but the Newton 2100 and Inkwell know what I am saying 95% of the time...not bad

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
DUDE! I love tehse things! If it has optional airport capabilitites, you can play UT in the crapper or while crusing around the office!

Yes, i came up with those a few months ago, when i first saw these types of threads.

knighthawk

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2002
Be prepared for a rehash of all of the old jokes...

I knew this guy who was so dumb that he tried to use whiteout on his tablet.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Doesn't Wacom make something like this already? You know, the Cintiq.

Apple could just license the device the way Radio Shack does for its products -- my RS dx-398 shortwave receiver is a Sangean ats-909 with a slightly different look, though nothing is changed on the inside.

BMWJ24

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
Why is everyone so down of the idea of a tablet pc?

If it was less than 3lbs, had a fast G3, airport/bluetooth, gigawire, great video card, Ti res screen, and was 3/4inX12.5inX8.5in.

I would buy it in a second. I'm a student but I can't imagine who wouldn't use one if it could be had for +/-$1200.

If you don't like the idea of not having a keyboard, get a portalbe usb/bluetooth keyboard and mouse, use a built in stand for the screen and you're all set -- and think of all the times you could get away with just the pen. Audio/Video, Checking email, proofing documnets, class/meeting notes, w/ gps option map navigation, etc.

PDA's don't cut it b/c they are too small and slow to do real work, and notebooks are too big to carry and use in many situations.

peter2002

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2002
Dallas, TX
Never sell.

This tablet PC is just a repackage of the tablet PC of 10 years ago. Nobody bought it then, and nobody will buy it now.

Peter

wrylachlan

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2002
I don't think I'd go for a full-sized tablet at 1200-1500. Too expensive and too big to carry around.

However... One of the things I'd be really interested in if the price was right, would be something with a screen the size of a hardcover novel but extremely thin and light. Like an e-book device, but with the added abilities of a pda.

Here's how apple could leverage their technology to make this a seller.
1) Get partnership deals with as many different ebook vendors as possible and create iBookshelf app with central repository for all your books, magazines, etc.
2) Build firewire into the device so it can connect to your iMac.
3) Via rendezvous, you plug it into your mac at night, when you wake up in the morning, your new york times, etc. etc. is in the "EBook"
4)A sherlock-like search engine would automatically cross-reference all your news. You read a story on corporate fraud in the NY Times, and a simple click takes you to the corresponding story in the Wall Street Journal.

5)While reading on it, you get the urge to take notes... done via inkwell.
6) Rolodex? Yup. Calendar? Yup. To Do list? yup.

And one more thing.

7) Automatically syncs with iphoto so you have your photo albumn on the go. You get to work, put the unit standing up on your desk and there's your wife's picture.

Oh, and one more thing...

8)With rendezvous and bluetooth, it could check email on the go by rendezvousing with your bluetooth cell-phone.

There are no other comparable devices in this space. The Franklin eBookman has the pda functions, but the screen is crap. The Gemstar device has a great screen, but no PDA functions. None of them have anything like sherlock. Nor iPhoto. And wireless e-mail? Totally unique. Also, the process of getting info into other e-book devises is cumbersome, to which Apple could apply their simplicty magic.

And finally, the market demographics are the same. The people who are buying e-book devices, are the same people who are buying Macs, are the same people who are buying high-end PDAs.

If they could bring a device like this to market at around $700 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
it should discipline my kids & walk the dog too!

hell, think I could get an iBot in the future?

wrylachlan

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2002
Originally posted by big
it should discipline my kids & walk the dog too!

hell, think I could get an iBot in the future?

My point was that, like the iPod with the Mp3 space, there is an opportunity to bring something unique to the eBook space. Certainly more unique than anything Apple could bring to the tablet space.

Tablet = expensive full-featured PC
eBook = low cost reader with a few perks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.