Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
`com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert`doesn't exist on my machine, I've tried to write this false, and toggled in control panel, but seems it's doesn't works for me :(

As I understood — this app just added gray layer to scree, but `Brightness Control` app also works for me, so I believe that kernel module works well

UPDATE:
Also
`kextstat | grep com.apple | grep light`

returned to me:

`com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert (1.1.0)`

Last edited:

metatext

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
Brightness Slider (formerly Brightness Control) is the app that adds the gray layer to the screen, Brightness by bergdesign changes the intensity of the backlight itself.

kextstat | grep com.apple | grep light
should return
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklightExpert (1.1.0)
com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight (170.9.14)

if you only get the first one that might mean that your AppleBacklight kext does not load, however, then you would not be able to bring up Brightness.monitorPanel when you pressed the brightness keys on the keyboard. I know because I have tested it these past few days. I also tried to load the 10.12.3 kexts to see if that would do the trick but it does not.

I would 1) make sure that both kexts load fine 2) I would try to check the Ambient Light Sensor, is it loaded, what's in its plist.

metatext

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
kextstat | grep com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU
got it from
ioreg -f -b -r -c 'AppleLMUController'

the plist you would need to look around in is /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iokit.AmbientLightSensor.plist

idoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
`com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU (208)`
it change `KeyboardBacklightBrightness` when I change keyboard brightness

+-o AppleLMUController <class AppleLMUController, id 0x100000373, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain 7>
{
"IOClass" = "AppleLMUController"
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleSMCLMU"
"IOProviderClass" = "IOService"
"IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"0516B563-B15B-11DA-96EB-0014519758EF"="AppleSMCLMU.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AmbientLightSensorHID.plugin"}
"IOPowerManagement" = {"CapabilityFlags"=2,"MaxPowerState"=1,"CurrentPowerState"=1}
"IOProbeScore" = 0
"IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"
"IONameMatch" = "ACPI0008"
"IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"
"IONameMatched" = "ACPI0008"
"KeyboardBacklightBrightness" = 0
"HIDServiceSupport" = Yes
}
[doublepost=1490990611][/doublepost]Here is list of plist in this directory, I opened most of them, but didn't saw something relevant to `Brightness`
2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.plist
Audio
DirectoryService
FLEXnet Publisher
Logging
OpenDirectory
Parallels
SystemConfiguration
Xsan
com.adobe.acc.AdobeDesktopService.plist
com.adobe.headlights.apip.plist
com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist
com.apple.AssetCache.plist
com.apple.BezelServices.plist
com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
com.apple.ByteRangeLocking.plist
com.apple.CoreRAIDServer.cfdb
com.apple.FindMyMac.plist
com.apple.HIToolbox.plist
com.apple.MCX.plist
com.apple.P2PSupervisor.plist
com.apple.PowerManagement.521E08C0-8B2B-51BC-8F68-35573216E04E.plist
com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
com.apple.ViewBridge.plist
com.apple.airport.opproam.plist
com.apple.alf.plist
com.apple.apsd.launchd
com.apple.apsd.plist
com.apple.captive.plist
com.apple.commerce.plist
com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.driver.AppleIRController.plist
com.apple.iPod.plist
com.apple.locationmenu.plist
com.apple.loginitems.plist
com.apple.loginwindow.plist
com.apple.networkextension.cache.plist
com.apple.networkextension.control.plist
com.apple.networkextension.necp.plist
com.apple.networkextension.plist
com.apple.noticeboard.plist
com.apple.preferences.accounts.plist
com.apple.preferences.sharing.plist
com.apple.screensaver.plist
com.apple.security.appsandbox.plist
com.apple.security.plist
com.apple.security.systemidentities.plist
com.apple.storeagent.plist
com.apple.timezone.auto.plist
com.apple.updatesettings.plist
com.apple.windowserver.plist
com.citrixonline.COLVideo.plist
com.intel.kext.haxm.plist
com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.plist
com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist
com.roox.YotaAccess.plist
com.roox.plist
loginwindow.plist
org.cups.printers.plist​
[doublepost=1490990655][/doublepost]/L/Preferences  cat */* | grep rightness
cat: FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet: Is a directory
cat: Logging/Events: Is a directory
cat: Logging/Processes: Is a directory
cat: Logging/Subsystems: Is a directory
cat: OpenDirectory/Configurations: Is a directory
cat: OpenDirectory/DynamicData: Is a directory
cat: OpenDirectory/opendirectoryd.plist: Permission denied
cat: SystemConfiguration/CaptiveNetworkSupport: Is a directory
<key>ReduceBrightness</key>

idoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
i've got the same problem with my Macbook Retina (late 2013). Any update yet bro? :(
no :) you but we already have a Telegram channel :D

the possible solution — to change chipset for this display to original one (with original serial and ID)

please let us now, if you'll google something :)

anhvinh93

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2017
i also have a problem with my screen is the brightness is too high even at the lowest level and the auto-brightness is not working. Funny that the screen work perfect in windows (bootcamp), auto-brightness and lower brightness, it means that the hardware is fine, just the software's issue.

idoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
i also have a problem with my screen is the brightness is too high even at the lowest level and the auto-brightness is not working. Funny that the screen work perfect in windows (bootcamp), auto-brightness and lower brightness, it means that the hardware is fine, just the software's issue.
you didn't say any news :) it's also works well on 10.12.3

idoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
@anhvinh93 did you replace your screen in mac? Because we did. As I understood our display indentificates as `unknown` and use fallback `756e6b6e` drivers and apple broke for some reason brightness control for them. You can use

try run in terminal:

ioreg -l -x -w0 | grep DisplayVendorID

ioreg -l -x -w0 | grep DisplayProductID
if your result is `756e6b6e` and `717` sorry, I have bad news for you :(

I solved this problem hardware. I asked friendly service centre replace firmware chip in my display (as he said you need firmware chip from E1 display http://take.ms/3Fak5 that one)

after that my display brightness works well.

So, now you probably has a solution, and before you request fix from service you can use this tool — http://bergdesign.com/brightness/

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewNetterville

anhvinh93

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2017
@anhvinh93 did you replace your screen in mac? Because we did. As I understood our display indentificates as `unknown` and use fallback `756e6b6e` drivers and apple broke for some reason brightness control for them. You can use

try run in terminal:

ioreg -l -x -w0 | grep DisplayVendorID

ioreg -l -x -w0 | grep DisplayProductID
if your result is `756e6b6e` and `717` sorry, I have bad news for you :(

I solved this problem hardware. I asked friendly service centre replace firmware chip in my display (as he said you need firmware chip from E1 display http://take.ms/3Fak5 that one)

after that my display brightness works well.

So, now you probably has a solution, and before you request fix from service you can use this tool — http://bergdesign.com/brightness/
It seems correct :( So did they replace the chip or just reload the firmware for the chip bro?

nabilzhafri

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2017
Hi guys, do you know if there's any update on this issue?

I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2014, just changed my lcd screen, and now my brightness doesn't work as well.
I'm on latest MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, and looks like the issue is still there.

Muppet17

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Kent
Hello,

I am currently having this issue and trying to still resolve this with an Apple engineer.

This is only happening to my early 2011 MBP where i have updated to the latest Mac os Sierra which was 10.12.4/10.12.15, the screen brightness was working perfectly on 10.12 and all the previous os's. even if i reinstall the original os my MBP came with, the screen brightness works and soon as i update to os Sierra 10.12.5 it doesn't.

Originally i had installed a crucial ssd to which the Apple engineer said that it might be my ssd, so i install my old and did the same procedure to which it did not work either. The engineer has took numerous logs and still tried to diagnose why it still isn't working, they said it could be the ambient light sensor on the camera etc.

Now i think they have exhausted the options i have tried for the past couple of months, they have yet to get back to me. they also said to me no one else has encountered this problem, but finding this thread on here shows me they told me lies.

I will update if i hear anything from the Apple engineer as they should be getting back to me any time now.

Essometer

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
they also said to me no one else has encountered this problem, but finding this thread on here shows me they told me lies.

If they don't search, they will not find one with the same problem. I made a thread in the offical apple forms as I have the same problem, replaced screen, not brightness control. Here is the link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7956119?start=0&tstart=0

I didn't expect the problem to be solved in the form and the only thing those "experts" say on the official form is to update, reinstall or rest NVRAM. (I don't think they even read what I've written)

So far 3 people have the same problem and I think there is another thread with the same issue. So there are at least dozens of us...., DOZENS!

Muppet17

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
Kent
If they don't search, they will not find one with the same problem. I made a thread in the offical apple forms as I have the same problem, replaced screen, not brightness control. Here is the link: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7956119?start=0&tstart=0

I didn't expect the problem to be solved in the form and the only thing those "experts" say on the official form is to update, reinstall or rest NVRAM. (I don't think they even read what I've written)

So far 3 people have the same problem and I think there is another thread with the same issue. So there are at least dozens of us...., DOZENS!

I see, I have read that you got the answer by doing a COMBO Update, how is this done if you don't mind me asking?

emiraj17

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2017
Help, has anyone solved the screen brightness issue?
I'm running High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A291m) on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

I reinstalled High Sierra, same issue.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Help, has anyone solved the screen brightness issue?
I'm running High Sierra 10.13 Beta (17A291m) on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

I reinstalled High Sierra, same issue.
Since you're not using 10.12.4 beta 3 you should probably post in the High Sierra forum.

mykrowyre

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
I'm assuming Apple still don't have a fix for this yet?

Ok, I had the exact same problem, which is how I found this thread... my brightness keys didn't work after a fresh sierra install. I press them and nothing at all happens. This is a mid 2010 Macbook Pro.

BUT, I have FIXED the problem.

I simply removed the back of the laptop, and unplugged all tiny connectors, and re-seated them, including the smallest one near the edge of the board by the battery. I did not unplug the metal connector at the corner which connect to the screen itself, only the flat ribbons with snap in connectors. I suspect these have something to do with the ambient light sensor.

After booting I was surprised to find brightness controls working normally. Now I can achieve full brightness again!

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

metatext

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks to @MisutaaUrufu there is a solution! Replace AppleBacklight.kext and AppleBacklightExpert.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, and DisplayServices.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks with ones from 10.12.3 and we're good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.