Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
While there have been a lot of debate on using cases and screen protectors for a watch, my lifestyle and work will benefit from having a screen protector and for my sense of well being.
I've googled around and was wondering what everyone is ordering. I was lucky to get be in the wave of shipping on 4/24. I wonder how well these will fit? Will a glass screen protector like the iPhone work with the force touch?

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
While there have been a lot of debate on using cases and screen protectors for a watch, my lifestyle and work will benefit from having a screen protector and for my sense of well being.
I've googled around and was wondering what everyone is ordering. I was lucky to get be in the wave of shipping on 4/24. I wonder how well these will fit? Will a glass screen protector like the iPhone work with the force touch?

I ordered these just for the hell of it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKPVLZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 6 pack and probably won't be that good but they were cheap and I had to order a couple of other things. I figure they are worth a try. I don't think I will need a screen protector but can never be too careful and even sapphire can scratch.

Selfdestrukt

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
i think ill be trying to get a screen protector

i had a fossil watch when i was younger and slammed my watch face in a door frame and made a nice gash

I suspect i still will be swinging my arms like a fool

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I ordered these just for the hell of it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VKPVLZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a 6 pack and probably won't be that good but they were cheap and I had to order a couple of other things. I figure they are worth a try. I don't think I will need a screen protector but can never be too careful and even sapphire can scratch.

those look interesting.. I just want something to get my by until Zagg or the likes come out with something..

Reactions: kmminx

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
I'm glad that you addressed the naysayers to stay out, because for some reason, people get violently defensive when you talk about such a thing on your Apple watch. This includes bumpers or cases as well.

I ordered a 3 pack from Spigen, along with one of each of their cases:
http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/apple-watch.html

The problem with screen protectors on the watch (unless you get the wet install flexible kind that feels like the skin of an orange) will be that it'll only be a tiny square protector with the rest of the curved screen exposed, similar to the iPhone 6/6+. I figure adding one of the Spigen cases will cover that area up and you wouldn't even be able to see the screen protector border.

Reactions: Franny43666

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm glad that you addressed the naysayers to stay out, because for some reason, people get violently defensive when you talk about such a thing on your Apple watch. This includes bumpers or cases as well.

I ordered a 3 pack from Spigen, along with one of each of their cases:
http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/apple-watch.html

The problem with screen protectors on the watch (unless you get the wet install flexible kind that feels like the skin of an orange) will be that it'll only be a tiny square protector with the rest of the curved screen exposed, similar to the iPhone 6/6+. I figure adding one of the Spigen cases will cover that area up and you wouldn't even be able to see the screen protector border.

which case were you looking at... the clear one looks interesting

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA

Ugh, I don't know what to believe in this listing... The title says its for the 42mm only. One bullet says its for the 38mm and another bullet says its for the Samsung Gear.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 21.18.55.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 21.18.55.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 753

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
What remains to be seen is how screen protectors will fit on the Watch. If it's like the 6 Plus they will have to stop where the screen curves. This will make glass protectors very obvious on the small screen of the Watch. If so dry application PET films or wet application films might be the answer.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
which case were you looking at... the clear one looks interesting

I actually ordered one of each that they offer... tough armor, rugged armor, slim armor, thin fit, and clear. I'll probably sell a couple I don't like. The clear one is dated as available on April 24, and the others in May.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I can't fathom how obsessed one must be to even think about covering the display on such a tiny screen. Even covered the owner must still be nervous. Perfection is not a happy relaxed lifestyle.

corlando465

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
I ordered (and received) a tempered glass screen protector for my AW sport on Amazon -$6.99. I also have clear bumper on order. I know it may be "geeky" but I also know me. When I'm am hurriedly rushing around at my industrial job, I offer whack my hand, arm, etc on tables, counters, etc as I pass by. I figure it will take me a while to get used to the additional thickness of the AW, so it will surely get a few bumps and bangs. I would like to keep it in as good of condition as possible, as I do my iPhones.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
My Pebble watch was listed as "Scratch Resistant" and I thought I'd go without a screen protector. I made it for about 5 months before I got a nasty scratch on it.

I put a screen protector on it then, and it not only has protected it from further scratches but has done a very good job of concealing the existing scratch.

I'm seriously considering getting a SS version, and since it has the sapphire screen I'm not sure I'll need a screen protector.

Reactions: jaymc

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Ugh, I don't know what to believe in this listing... The title says its for the 42mm only. One bullet says its for the 38mm and another bullet says its for the Samsung Gear.

Yea I saw that too. I think that's just the options. I'll find out in a week. If it's wrong I'm only out 5 bucks. If it's for the 38mm than they can go on the wife's watch, if it's the galaxy I have a friend that can use them.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Seriously.

This, this, or this should be the extent of your screen protector.

Is it really worth it to have apple care to fix scratches?
"Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage (2), each subject to a $69 service fee plus applicable tax"
So if I want to get scratches fixed in my watch 2 times it will cost me $187 total? ($69x2 + $49) Now if I completely break my watch then it's a good deal but saying that buying apple care for scratches only just seems dumb. I can just buy a $5 screen protector and be essentially worry free. For the record I'm not putting a screen protector on my watch but to put people down for wanting a screen protector just seems wrong to me.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
My Pebble watch was listed as "Scratch Resistant" and I thought I'd go without a screen protector. I made it for about 5 months before I got a nasty scratch on it.

I put a screen protector on it then, and it not only has protected it from further scratches but has done a very good job of concealing the existing scratch.

I'm seriously considering getting a SS version, and since it has the sapphire screen I'm not sure I'll need a screen protector.

Only need screen protector for sapphire if you are near diamonds all the time :)

bulbousnub

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Is it really worth it to have apple care to fix scratches?
"Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage (2), each subject to a $69 service fee plus applicable tax"
So if I want to get scratches fixed in my watch 2 times it will cost me $187 total? ($69x2 + $49) Now if I completely break my watch then it's a good deal but saying that buying apple care for scratches only just seems dumb. I can just buy a $5 screen protector and be essentially worry free. For the record I'm not putting a screen protector on my watch but to put people down for wanting a screen protector just seems wrong to me.

Have screen protectors (like this) ever really been necessary on a watch? Get the AppleCare and just wear it. If it gets to the point where the scratches are too annoying, go spend the $70 and get another one.

Otherwise? Hell - spend the $70 and swap it out right before the end of your 2 years, sell it, and buy a gen 2.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
You don't need one unless you've got the Sport model.

Sapphire will scratch too, just not as easy. Just saying.

----------

Have screen protectors (like this) ever really been necessary on a watch? Get the AppleCare and just wear it. If it gets to the point where the scratches are too annoying, go spend the $70 and get another one.

Otherwise? Hell - spend the $70 and swap it out right before the end of your 2 years, sell it, and buy a gen 2.

It's all preference. If you want to pay for Apple care that's your prerogative if I want to pay 5 bucks for some cheap screen protectors that's my prerogative. Who cares. That's why the OP said naysayers stay out because this thread is not about whether you agree or disagree with screen protectors but which ones are out there.

Reactions: Xultar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.