Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
The videos are great follow them word for word and you’ll be good. I f’d up my first two then figured it out. Just buy a pack as all of these skins do scratch

End User Onizuka

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
I just put an Armorshield protector on my S4 yesterday and had a question on it. Whenever my screen is white - say for calendar entries or the flashlight mode - I see wavy lines that almost make the screen look blurry and I was wondering if that will go away over time or if this is just the way that the film will be since it's not a glass protector.

Yesterday the wavy lines looked a little different in spots where it needed to dry, but what's left hasn't changed since then. I was trying to figure out if that is how its going to stay or if it would clear up. It kind of makes me think of the screen protectors that I would get for my first iPhone...

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I just put an Armorshield protector on my S4 yesterday and had a question on it. Whenever my screen is white - say for calendar entries or the flashlight mode - I see wavy lines that almost make the screen look blurry and I was wondering if that will go away over time or if this is just the way that the film will be since it's not a glass protector.

Yesterday the wavy lines looked a little different in spots where it needed to dry, but what's left hasn't changed since then. I was trying to figure out if that is how its going to stay or if it would clear up. It kind of makes me think of the screen protectors that I would get for my first iPhone...

the wavy will stay. Its part of how the screen protector looks. its not glass. If you get a tempered glass one it will be perfectly clear

Thejameslavis

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2018
the wavy will stay. Its part of how the screen protector looks. its not glass. If you get a tempered glass one it will be perfectly clear

Don’t agree here. I’ve used skinomi and armorsuit. I have no wavy lines or impurities. It’s a skill to drop these on. Is it a glass protector, no. But I’d never drop a glass one on my watch. They are different devices and glass to iPhone, akin to watch.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I haven't read this entire thread and don't want to make one. Are there S4 screen protectors that you can use if you plan to swim with it?

DianaMR

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2016

I also just put an Armorsuit screen protector on my S4 and have no wavy lines. Well I’ve had it on for a couple days now but never had wavy lines. ???

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I also just put an Armorsuit screen protector on my S4 and have no wavy lines. Well I’ve had it on for a couple days now but never had wavy lines. ???
Maybe our description of wavy lines are different but these have an orange peel type effect. When you shine light on the protector it’s not smooth looking.

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Based on yours post, I looking AmorSuir... but which?

Captura de pantalla 2018-10-14 a la(s) 8.11.52 p. m..png

Reactions: Dr_Charles_Forbin

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Ordered and installed the IQ Shield for the series 4. It went on perfect and you can't even tell it's installed. I love it and it gives me a little more piece of mind that I won't get a bunch of scratches/micro scratches on the screen.

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Ordered and installed the IQ Shield for the series 4. It went on perfect and you can't even tell it's installed. I love it and it gives me a little more piece of mind that I won't get a bunch of scratches/micro scratches on the screen.
Can u help me? lol... looks difficult

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I've used RinoGear on my S3 and liked it. I replaced it every three or four months because of corners eventually lifting a little.
I just got a S4 and ordered the IQShield Full Coverage. It came today and I will put it on tonight. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
After a less than desirable experience with a Zagg, I used RhinoGear on my S2 and was incredibly happy with performance. They lasted 3-4 months on average but the longest one I had on lasted over 6 months! Corners still weren't curling on me, I replaced it because the screen protector was banged up.

With my S4, I installed an ArmorSuit today and it offers edge to edge protection. It was much easier to install because of the way the case/screen is designed. I'm very happy with how it turned out, now we'll see how long it lasts.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I installed the IQ Shield tonight and it went on just as easy as the other protectors I've used. No problems. It doesn't cover as much of the glass as I was expecting. When the y say full coverage I was expecting it to cover all the glass to the body of the watch which it doesn't. Seems to be about the same coverage as the RinoGear. I have a set of those coming in a few days and I'll measure the difference.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I installed the IQ Shield on my series 4 and LOVE it. I don’t have to worry any longer about scratches/Micro Scratches and I can’t even tell its on. Installed perfectly.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
As an update to my IQ Shield install yesterday. Everything looked fine when I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning all four corners had lifted (on charge not wearing). I pushed them back down and put on the watch but two corners lifted again. I pealed it off just now and installed a new one. I always make sure the watch is clean before install so it wasn't due to oils or dirt.

Still having the same problem with my second install. After a few hours the corners lift.
have the RinoGeear coming Saturday and I'll try those.

Last edited:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I installed the IQ Shield tonight and it went on just as easy as the other protectors I've used. No problems. It doesn't cover as much of the glass as I was expecting. When the y say full coverage I was expecting it to cover all the glass to the body of the watch which it doesn't. Seems to be about the same coverage as the RinoGear. I have a set of those coming in a few days and I'll measure the difference.

As an update to my IQ Shield install yesterday. Everything looked fine when I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning all four corners had lifted (on charge not wearing). I pushed them back down and put on the watch but two corners lifted again. I pealed it off just now and installed a new one. I always make sure the watch is clean before install so it wasn't due to oils or dirt.

Still having the same problem with my second install. After a few hours the corners lift.
have the RinoGeear coming Saturday and I'll try those.

I don't really know why some people 'swear by' a particular brand when it comes to these protectors - they're all essentially made from the same material anyway....

Some may provide more coverage than others but at the end of the day, your basically trying to apply a straight piece of material to a curved glass surface (imagine trying to wrap half a snooker ball with a straight piece of cling film or tin foil, it's just never going to wrap smoothly around the curves) - it's no wonder 95% of the protectors peel around the edges.

I did use a screen protector for my S0 Watch but it was one of them squared designs which only covered the square flat face of the watch and not the curved edges so it worked quite well (I'm actually still using it on my watch as it sits flush with the flat face of the watch).

I have AppleCare+ for my S4 so not gonna bother with a protector...

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I don't really know why some people 'swear by' a particular brand when it comes to these protectors - they're all essentially made from the same material anyway....

Some may provide more coverage than others but at the end of the day, your basically trying to apply a straight piece of material to a curved glass surface (imagine trying to wrap half a snooker ball with a straight piece of cling film or tin foil, it's just never going to wrap smoothly around the curves) - it's no wonder 95% of the protectors peel around the edges.

I did use a screen protector for my S0 Watch but it was one of them squared designs which only covered the square flat face of the watch and not the curved edges so it worked quite well (I'm actually still using it on my watch as it sits flush with the flat face of the watch).

I have AppleCare+ for my S4 so not gonna bother with a protector...

On my S3 the protectors I used only lifted because of rubbing against clothing not because of the curved surface. This type of material does a very good job at conforming to the curves. With this particular brand though my install technique that I’ve always used needed to be modified.

I installed a third one and this time did everything the same with the addition of pressing it into my palm for a good half hour while I was watching TV. That did the trick. It stayed down overnight.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
On my S3 the protectors I used only lifted because of rubbing against clothing not because of the curved surface. This type of material does a very good job at conforming to the curves. With this particular brand though my install technique that I’ve always used needed to be modified.

I installed a third one and this time did everything the same with the addition of pressing it into my palm for a good half hour while I was watching TV. That did the trick. It stayed down overnight.

...it may have stayed on overnight but thats only because it's a fresh install. I can guarantee that within a few weeks or even sooner, the corners will start to lift and as soon as any lint gets under there, that will be it, it will never stick down again.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
...it may have stayed on overnight but thats only because it's a fresh install. I can guarantee that within a few weeks or even sooner, the corners will start to lift and as soon as any lint gets under there, that will be it, it will never stick down again.

That has happened to me before but I also have had a particular brand stay in place for at least 3 months on average before the corners started to lift. One of them lasted 6 months before I replaced it and it had nothing to do with the corners lifting. They were in place just as they were when I put it on. I replaced the protector as it had become banged up. So yeah, for me personally I had good experience with that brand and will stick with them when possible. That said, I did try a different brand this time because I wanted something on the watch the day it arrived and I couldn't get the my preferential brand until a day or so later.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I will say that the IQ Shield brand is a little smoother than the brand I previously used (RinoGear). I do like that.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
FYI the dimensions of the IQ Shield Max is 34mm x 40.5mm
The dimensions of the RinoGear Full Coverage are 35mm x 41.5mm.
Also the RinoGear are slightly thicker.

Reactions: staggerlee41

Jervasio

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2016
Are the screen protectors mentioned here suitable for swimmers? (Specially edge to edge)

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I bought a few liquid film type screen protectors for a AW4 that my wife has. The ones that say they fit AW1,2,3,4 always come up short and you can feel the edge of the film when using your watch.

Since then, I found some with a brand name of Screen Knight specifically for the AW4 with curved fit and they do match the exact shape of the AW4 screen. It means you have to take your time more applying them as there is very little room for error but, if you apply them correctly (dipping them in water before putting them on) they can be adjusted so they sit perfect. They can be tricky to remove from the backing, I think a little heat from a hairdryer may help. Also make sure you wet your fingers before feeling them off the backing plastic.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ScreenKn...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Reactions: bigup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.