Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This was posted about two months ago and I just came across it today. Another user may have already posted it, but I thought I'd post it for any Scrivener enthusiasts out there. Here it is..

According to their post, they think it will be done by the end of 2014 with final testing and release at the beginning of 2015.

What do you think?

----------

Also something interesting, they stated that they'd be using Dropbox syncing API's to start with. So it may be tied to dropbox.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, saw that. Will be buying it.

Most people have bought it outright on their website. I think that's the main reason why they're not going iCloud. That and the fact that it's for Windows too.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Most people have bought it outright on their website. I think that's the main reason why they're not going iCloud. That and the fact that it's for Windows too.

Yeah, I bought it on sale through the MAS back when I was unsure of if I'd really use it (I did try the trial). Looking back, I wish I'd bought it from them directly since Apple takes 30% of their sale. They deserve it.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Good news...if it ever happens. I've seen a couple too many of their dates go by to be optimistic anymore. I REALLY do not want this to be vaporware. Storyist is not an adequate replacement!

Meanwhile, has anyone found a semi-adequate substitute iOS app that syncs with Scrivener? I've tried PlainText, Textilus, and Notebooks for iPad (now Notebooks 7), and I'm not happy with any of them for this function. (I adore Notebooks for other stuff, it's one of my most used apps, and I use it for both research notes and writing all the time. But same as the others, it just doesn't work seamlessly with Scrivener. Or maybe it's me.)

I'd much rather write on my iPad than my MBP. Hurry up, Scrivener!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
i think this same story came out in november of 2012

It did, and I've been waiting on Scrivener for iOS since 2011.

Back then I think the biggest limitation was the iPad.

I agree with the Devs, they don't want to make a crippled iOS version of Scrivener, but even a lite version would have been nice back then.

Either way, like Final Draft, when the iOS version comes out I'll be getting it. When I'm on the road I live on my iPad Mini.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Getting closer...internal beta starting soon. Looks like getting sync right is the biggest concern (as well it should be!)

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/f...01bc5dd7241d709708a028b39c9c&start=75#p191950

It's been so long since I've actually worked in Scrivener now, I'll have to relearn the whole damn thing. LOL I've just been using Notebooks + Dropbox, with Index Card for the times when I need to look at card based layouts, and I've been leaving Scrivener out of the equation entirely for new projects as I never seem to write on the computer anymore.

But I still have my biggest in-process project in there, and while it's synced to Notebooks, I just can't bring myself to work on it directly in that app. Once there's a Scrivener for iOS option, I'm hoping to be better able to focus on that project again!

Edit: oh damn...reading further into that thread, there's no full screen compose mode in the iOS version. That's one of the best features of Scrivener for me--the ability to have the app get out of the way of your work. Grrr....

Last edited:

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Nice! Hmm, I wonder what's stopping them from coming up with a way to do fullscreen?

So much negativity on that thread. :(

I didn't read earlier posts, just the ones going forward from the linked one. Even then, plenty of negative. I think a lot of folks are kind of tired of promises that don't materialize in a reasonable timeframe, so there's probably a bit of negativity from that. And then there's the "use a real laptop" versus the "I want to write on my iPad" crowd. LOL

Worst case scenario, I can see doing my writing directly in Notebooks for the (mostly) fullscreen capability & then pasting it into Scrivener for editing. I'm too easily distracted, having a very minimal screen to compose in seems to work a bit better for me.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, now they're looking for a developer because the app is still behind schedule. They write amazing software, but people aren't going to wait forever. Now Ulysses has an iOS OS X system .

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Index Card 4 - corkboard writer for iPad was released today. It can now export Scrivener .scriv files, in addition to the previous ability to sync .indexcard files with Scrivener. Full disclosure, I'm the developer of Index Card. http://www.IndexCardApp.com

Good to see you here! I've actually had Index Card since its first release, on an original iPad--and before I started using Scrivener. :D I'll have to take a look at the upgrade.

Well, now they're looking for a developer because the app is still behind schedule. They write amazing software, but people aren't going to wait forever. Now Ulysses has an iOS OS X system .

From what I've read, Ulysses is apparently the way to go if you like working in Markdown. Unfortunately, I don't. (Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

As for Scrivener, the new dev is basically to help them fix the bugs they've found faster, from the bits I've gleaned from their Twitter. Having read up a bit recently on the potential problems of sync between iOS and Dropbox, plus the need to add sync to the Windows version of Scrivener, etc., I'm actually fine with them taking a bit longer to get it right. Especially after I managed to lose a few pages myself out of Notebooks for the first time in the five years I've used it--not the app's fault, I didn't set sync correctly after a "setup as new" on a new iPad, then assumed all my work was on Dropbox without checking before I wiped the same device without a backup. So, um, yeah, sync is kinda important to make idiotproof. :oops:

I'm still writing in Notebooks for the full screen/minimal distractions factor, and transferring that to Scrivener as needed. It's a bit annoying, but meh, it works well enough. I tried writing on the laptop again so I could use Scrivener directly (actually tried two different laptops) and was still happiest with the iPad and my Keys to Go keyboard for first draft stuff.

Maybe we'll see a public beta for Scrivener by end of summer, and a release in time for NaNoWriMo. I'm not holding my breath for anything sooner, though I'd love to be surprised!

Reactions: Traverse

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I've reached the point where I need a new laptop anyway, and I'd rather write on that over an iPad. They simply took too long with this project, and the Macbook is only slightly larger than an iPad.

But they've been sincere and communicated the problems clearly, and I really respect the developers for that.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I've reached the point where I need a new laptop anyway, and I'd rather write on that over an iPad. They simply took too long with this project, and the Macbook is only slightly larger than an iPad.

But they've been sincere and communicated the problems clearly, and I really respect the developers for that.

It's funny--I expected to go this route myself. I have an early 2008 MBP that missed the recall and is dying as a result. I thought, fine, maybe I'll get a refurb MacBook Air, and started using Scrivener on a tiny Windows laptop instead while I decided what to do.

I hated it. And I thought, hey, must be because it's Windows. :D

But during one of the MBP's periodic resurrections, I tried writing on it again. And I hated that too. Now I was rethinking the whole laptop idea in general.

The iPad Mini I had was really too small to be comfortable for writing, though I loved it for everything else and used it for two years. I began to think I was Goldilocks (too small, too big, too hot, too cold...)

I caved and got an iPad Air 2, figuring I could return it within two weeks if necessary. It didn't get returned. I'm now comfortable with my setup again--it's always with me, but it gets out of the way and lets me focus when I need to. The MBP's contents are going onto an iMac, and this seems to be the end of the line for me and Mac laptops. It's not going to be the right fit for everyone, but I just plain don't use "real" computers anymore.

And Scrivener is the final thing I need to make that setup ideal for me. If only it were out...!

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
I caved and got an iPad Air 2, figuring I could return it within two weeks if necessary. It didn't get returned. I'm now comfortable with my setup again--it's always with me, but it gets out of the way and lets me focus when I need to. The MBP's contents are going onto an iMac, and this seems to be the end of the line for me and Mac laptops. It's not going to be the right fit for everyone, but I just plain don't use "real" computers anymore.

And Scrivener is the final thing I need to make that setup ideal for me. If only it were out...!

Just curious...what are you using to write with on the iPad in the interim? I, like you, am not a markdown fan, and never did find anything on the iPad that really tickled my fancy. My iPad experience is pretty dated, however (I owned and subsequently sold an iPad 3).

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Just curious...what are you using to write with on the iPad in the interim? I, like you, am not a markdown fan, and never did find anything on the iPad that really tickled my fancy. My iPad experience is pretty dated, however (I owned and subsequently sold an iPad 3).

Sorry for the delayed response, didn't check this thread again until today.

I use Notebooks 8 typically. It *can* sync with Mac Scrivener files via Dropbox, but honestly I've been using it just on its own for some time now. Not much point in syncing with Scrivener for me right now, since I'm never on a "real" computer. I started with Notebooks clear back with the first iPad, and it's been a rock solid performer for me ever since. Plus, it's an incredibly useful place to store all my notes in an organized, searchable fashion, whether they're related to any project or just something I need to remember short term. It took the place of Apple's Notes app for me eons ago, and kept me from picking OneNote back up once that finally came to the iPad.

Off to go look for any Scrivener for iOS update info....

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here

I'm curious, since you've answered my questions about Ulysses on the iPad, if you've moved/will move over completely to Ulysses from Scrivener?

I'm trying Ulysses for the 3rd time, and while there are definitely things I don't like, I'm getting the hang of it more. I've customized the export styles, edited the markup styles, and am shaping it better.

PS: Sorry if I've gotten on you nerves with questions about it :p This is the first time I'm taking writing seriously and really want to get the best app for me.

@IrishVixen
The big thing keeping me from Ulysses (and I'm trying to see if I can get used to it) is always seeing Markdown and no WYSIWYG. I will rarely export my writing; it will always be in the app. With Scrivener, I can justify the text, indent paragraphs, etc. I can make it look appealing to me. In Ulysses, all that is done when you export so I'll rarely see indented paragraphs, justified text, etc. I'll always just see the plain text and I don't know if I like that.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm curious, since you've answered my questions about Ulysses on the iPad, if you've moved/will move over completely to Ulysses from Scrivener?

I'm trying Ulysses for the 3rd time, and while there are definitely things I don't like, I'm getting the hang of it more. I've customized the export styles, edited the markup styles, and am shaping it better.

PS: Sorry if I've gotten on you nerves with questions about it :p This is the first time I'm taking writing seriously and really want to get the best app for me.

Aww, don't worry, I don't mind. ;)

Yeah, I definitely will be moving to it after using it on the iPad. When... Maybe in the next month or two. I have a feeling they're going to do another productivity sale on the Mac App Store.

Guess there was no new Scrivener for iOS info to be found? :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Guess there was no new Scrivener for iOS info to be found? :(

Thanks! And no, nothing since their post for a new developer a few months ago. It's somewhat annoying. They also say there are big plans for the Mac version, but they won't say any more. I don't really appreciate the silence.

There are still some complaints about Ulysses having iCloud sync issues between iOS and OS X (I'd prefer Dropbox), but their recent update brought a new backup system so I'm less worried and iCloud should only improve.

I just can't seem to completely ignore Ulysses. I may do some website writing in the distant future, so Markdown would come in handy for quick exporting. Plus, once you start using Ulysses' keyboard shortcuts (like the ones you linked to in another thread) it becomes a very dynamic piece of software. (I love being able to show/hide the sheets and attachment column on the fly without interrupting my typing.)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I know exactly how you feel...

I want to give Ulysses and markdown a real crack....but I always end up reverting to WYSIWYG editors in short order.

I, too, prefer them, but they're usually proprietary. And when you open WYSIWYG files in other programs you get compatibility issues.

However, and I'm curious what @Jessica Lares thinks about this, Markdown is supposed to be a universal typing language so that you could use your text files in any Markdown program. Ulysses uses their own custom version (which is the best I've used so far) and locks your writing in their proprietary library, so it kind of defeats the purpose of markdown.

Scrivener's no better, but you have not exception of universality with Scrivener, whereas you do with Markdown.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Scrivener has a second developer starting working on it in 2 days, so this means that it will be at least a month before they even start to think about a closed beta periode with users outside of the company. And that is probably quite optimistic since the new developer has to become aquainted with the code base first.

I would expect a release sometime around December.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Good question.

I just went through one of my backups. Recently they came up with TextBundle: http://textbundle.org/ and they're using it in the iOS version, and maybe even the Mac (I don't have it yet).

If you look through the backup folder, you're going to find another one called Content with whatever folders you had on the app at the time, and if you look through that, you'll see these randomly named files with the .ulysses extension.

If you change it to something else, like txt, or whatever, it changes into a folder with this structure:

Code:
Content.xml
text.txt
And then an assets folder.

The XML file will have specific things like what type of Markdown you're using, and how it should be formatted, along with your tags, notes, etc.

Code:
<markup version="1" identifier="markdownxl" displayName="Markdown XL">
    <tag definition="heading1" pattern="#"/>
    <tag definition="heading2" pattern="##"/>
    <tag definition="heading3" pattern="###"/>
    <tag definition="heading4" pattern="####"/>
    <tag definition="heading5" pattern="#####"/>
    <tag definition="heading6" pattern="######"/>
    <tag definition="codeblock" pattern="''"/>
    <tag definition="comment" pattern="%%"/>
    <tag definition="divider" pattern="----"/>
    <tag definition="nativeblock" pattern="~~"/>
    <tag definition="blockquote" pattern="&gt;"/>
    <tag definition="orderedList" pattern="\d."/>
    <tag definition="unorderedList" pattern="*"/>
    <tag definition="unorderedList" pattern="+"/>
    <tag definition="unorderedList" pattern="-"/>
    <tag definition="code" startPattern="`" endPattern="`"/>
    <tag definition="delete" startPattern="||" endPattern="||"/>
    <tag definition="emph" startPattern="*" endPattern="*"/>
    <tag definition="emph" startPattern="_" endPattern="_"/>
    <tag definition="inlineComment" startPattern="++" endPattern="++"/>
    <tag definition="inlineNative" startPattern="~" endPattern="~"/>
    <tag definition="mark" startPattern="::" endPattern="::"/>
    <tag definition="strong" startPattern="**" endPattern="**"/>
    <tag definition="strong" startPattern="__" endPattern="__"/>
    <tag definition="annotation" startPattern="{" endPattern="}"/>
    <tag definition="link" startPattern="[" endPattern="]"/>
    <tag definition="footnote" pattern="(fn)"/>
    <tag definition="image" pattern="(img)"/>
    <tag definition="video" pattern="(vid)"/>
</markup>

And it basically has a recreated version of the text with the above definitions, and then the attachments are noted at the bottom (keywords here):

Code:
<attachment type="keywords">food,random,blah</attachment>

The text.txt file is just the plain text.

And then your assets folder has your images/whatever.

They've tried to solve the problem where most Markdown apps are just useful for text and can have very little else without getting proprietary. You could simplify it for your needs with some Applescript. Probably will have a go at that actually.

I guess I'd rather deal with having to do this now, then figure out how to read WYSIWYG files ten years later. There's lots and lots of threads where people can't open old Word files, etc.

Reactions: Traverse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.