Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Xs Max here too - same issue. Dunno if it's indexing and maybe it'll work later? But doesn't seem to be the case.

Kelly4me

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I have an XS, restored from iCloud with the same issue. I turned the Settings app on/off in Siri/Search and it did not fix the problem. I really don’t want to have to reset all of my settings.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I did the "Reset all settings" and that fixed it. It didn't delete my apps/data but I did have to re-set up my alarms, FaceID, ApplePay, credit cards, location settings, notifications, wifi networks (etc etc etc).

But, it did fix it. It wasn't as bad as completely wiping the phone, but I did have to spend the past hour going through every single setting to get it back to how I had it.

martys-seattle

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I did the "Reset all settings" and that fixed it. It didn't delete my apps/data but I did have to re-set up my alarms, FaceID, ApplePay, credit cards, location settings, notifications, wifi networks (etc etc etc).

But, it did fix it. It wasn't as bad as completely wiping the phone, but I did have to spend the past hour going through every single setting to get it back to how I had it.

thanks for confirming. but after spending $1500 on a phone, and following all the setup / restore instructions provided I shouldn't have to do a full settings wipe to get one feature working. there's no reason they can't expose a "Reset search" option that only resets the search index. It's just stupid and lazy on Apple's part.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Same here upgraded from iPhone X to iPhone XS and restored from iCloud now I can’t search settings

Ramias

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Same as you - restore from iCloud backup on new Xs Max. No can search in settings.

Saw language was set to English. Same as my X. Toggled that to English US on the new XS Max.

Settings search was still blank.

Until I went back in (I probably closed the settings app in between) and it's now working. No "reset all settings" needed.

Reactions: Vlaxaki and GDMcG

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Same as you - restore from iCloud backup on new Xs Max. No can search in settings.

Saw language was set to English. Same as my X. Toggled that to English US on the new XS Max.

Settings search was still blank.

Until I went back in (I probably closed the settings app in between) and it's now working. No "reset all settings" needed.
I changed my language to Spanish and then Back to English now all is good. Didn’t have to reset anything.
[doublepost=1537641657][/doublepost]
Same here upgraded from iPhone X to iPhone XS and restored from iCloud now I can’t search settings
Fixed it by going into settings>General>Language and Region and changing to Spanish and then back to English.

martys-seattle

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
thanks for confirming. but after spending $1500 on a phone, and following all the setup / restore instructions provided I shouldn't have to do a full settings wipe to get one feature working. there's no reason they can't expose a "Reset search" option that only resets the search index. It's just stupid and lazy on Apple's part.

SUCCESS! I change the language from English US to English UK, closed the settings app. Tried again, nothing. Set the language back to English US, closed the settings app. Now when the settings app launches it autofills like a boss! I'm happy to have not reset it and spent the rest of the day reconfiguring everything.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Switching language to English Australia. Then close settings app. Then change back to English USA. Close settings app. Going back into settings the 3rd time and search now works.

Reactions: martys-seattle

xblyx

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
Just had the problem with my XS Max. Changed the language from English (Australian) back to English (United States) fixed it. I’m sure changing it to and from on any language will refresh the “search index/cache”.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Wound up resetting all settings before I saw the language fix. That was fun. Still there were a few things I needed to change so it wasnt a total waste of time.

ketaidenwa

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2014
I changed my language to Spanish and then Back to English now all is good. Didn’t have to reset anything.
[doublepost=1537641657][/doublepost]
Fixed it by going into settings>General>Language and Region and changing to Spanish and then back to English.

This worked for me as well. Thanks a lot!

lwhitten

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2006
Thanks! Changing language fixed it!

I was having not only this problem (search in settings had no results), but also could not download any family shared app purchases.

Changing the language to English (Canadian) immediately fixed both search and download issues. Changed back to English (US) and (whoopee) still works.

This fix reminds me of banging on the side of the TV with your palm... Whatever works I suppose.

Reactions: phoneorpda

Graphikos

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Mine isn't working after X > XS upgrade. :(
Language switch didn't seem to help for me.

Edit: Toggled it to English (Canada), did a search and it was working, swapped back to English (US)... all fixed. Maybe it needed that interaction between swaps to fix it. *shrugs*

Last edited:
Reactions: nckm

richh87

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I have a XS max. I had the same issues after restoring from a 8+. I tried wiping the phone and no that didn’t work. Did the language thing a few times and that didn’t work. Finally did the language change plus region change and restarted my phone a few times and that finally fixed the settings search issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
XS max restored from an encrypted backup of an iPhone X. Having the same issue. Search was working on the iPhone X just now.
Did you try the suggested methods of changing the language and/or region back and forth to see if that gets it working?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.