Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nckm

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
Mine isn't working after X > XS upgrade. :(
Language switch didn't seem to help for me.

Edit: Toggled it to English (Canada), did a search and it was working, swapped back to English (US)... all fixed. Maybe it needed that interaction between swaps to fix it. *shrugs*

Confirmed! The interaction in 'search' in another language (and then back) is exactly what fixed it for me. Thanks!

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Vlaxaki

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
Same as you - restore from iCloud backup on new Xs Max. No can search in settings.

Saw language was set to English. Same as my X. Toggled that to English US on the new XS Max.

Settings search was still blank.

Until I went back in (I probably closed the settings app in between) and it's now working. No "reset all settings" needed.
Worked for me!

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I reset all settings a week ago and it's back again not able to search in Settings. I tried changing to Spanish and back, but it's still not able to search in Settings... I really don't want to reset all again - am I doing something wrong w/the language settings?

Going to General --> Language & Region, changing to Spanish, English (Ireland), etc (I'm in US) but neither language fixed the searching. Annoying iOS bug.

EDIT: Grr... tried toggling languages back and forth a few more times and it worked. :)

SusanLambe

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018
Language switch worked for me too - on a replacement iPhone 7 restored from iCloud backup

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
XS Max here with same issue... however, changing language and then back again fixed the issue for me.

On a side note, is anyone else really underwhelmed with the camera? Images are so over processed you lose all of the detail ☹️

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
You need to change languages and then search with the new language.

Was the only way that I was able to get it to work.

Reactions: merophosis

merophosis

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2018
XS Max here...same happened to me, I switched language from English to Russian and then back, fixed search issues. Seems like switching to any language and back again is the fix. Glad I didn’t have to reset my settings.
[doublepost=1540476514][/doublepost]
You need to change languages and then search with the new language.

Was the only way that I was able to get it to work.
That’s what I did too

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
XS Max here...same happened to me, I switched language from English to Russian and then back, fixed search issues. Seems like switching to any language and back again is the fix. Glad I didn’t have to reset my settings.
That’s what I did too
That’s what I did too

Thanks guys that fixed it. :)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Had the same issue today with my new iPad Pro 12.9, restored from iCloud. The language-switch trick solved it for me, too.

OrtegaFam

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I just got an iPhone X, updated it to iOS 11.2, and restored from my 6s iCloud backup.

I'm noticing that I can't do a search in the Settings app. If I type something in to find a setting, nothing shows up. I've rebooted the phone, but same result.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

View attachment 740905

Yes , I’ve looked into this issue further and I have 100% Successfully solved your issue. Go into settings / General / Scroll down to reset . Click the first option which is (Reset All Settings ) input your password it takes no more than a minute after that’s done if it doesn’t work immediately wait 5 minutes and it is guaranteed by me to work .

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes , I’ve looked into this issue further and I have 100% Successfully solved your issue. Go into settings / General / Scroll down to reset . Click the first option which is (Reset All Settings ) input your password it takes no more than a minute after that’s done if it doesn’t work immediately wait 5 minutes and it is guaranteed by me to work .
Seems like the much simpler workaround of changing languages has been working fairly well for people.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Far less annoying solution is just to go into settings, change your language to English (Canadian), then change it back.

OrtegaFam

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Far less annoying solution is just to go into settings, change your language to English (Canadian), then change it back.

Well , I’m not asking to erase everything off the phone it’s just resetting the settings no information will be deleted .

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well , I’m not asking to erase everything off the phone it’s just resetting the settings no information will be deleted .
Yeah but you’ll have to renter Wi-Fi passwords and change back various settings. What you suggest removes all of your preferences for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, General, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper and Privacy. You have to go re enter all of that.

The way I suggested (I am not taking credit for it) doesn’t reset any settings so there is nothing to change back. It’s also much faster than resetting settings.

OrtegaFam

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah but you’ll have to renter Wi-Fi passwords and change back various settings. What you suggest removes all of your preferences for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Do No Disturb, Notifications, General, Sounds, Brightness & Wallpaper and Privacy. You have to go re enter all of that.

The way I suggested (I am not taking credit for it) doesn’t reset any settings so there is nothing to change back. It’s also much faster than resetting settings.

Well , how about this it worked for me I’m in the u.s. you metioned cañada i also have a newer device . I can speak for the U.S. and U.K. there thanks

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well , how about this it worked for me I’m in the u.s. you metioned cañada i also have a newer device . I can speak for the U.S. and U.K. there thanks
I am in the us too. That’s my point. Just change your language to a different language (like English UK or English Canada, that way you can still read the menus). Then immediately change the language back (for example to English US).

This immediately and permanently solves the problem. And unlike your solution, you don’t have to go back and retype all your Wi-Fi passwords, and re enter all your settings. And it works instantaneously, unlike reset all settings.

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
I had this problem after restoring my new xs max from my iCloud backup. After switching languages the search worked but widgets then disappeared and safari kept crashing. I rebooted and now things appear to be ok but a little annoyed with this seeing how much I just paid for this phone.

Joaniesan

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018
I had the same problem with my iPhone 8 Plus that's got iOS 12.1. To fix, I changed from English (US) to English (Canada) in the Language & Regions settings. That fixed it. Then I changed it back to English (US) and it still worked! WEIRD.

Chode

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Just had the problem with my XS Max. Changed the language from English (Australian) back to English (United States) fixed it. I’m sure changing it to and from on any language will refresh the “search index/cache”.

Changing language to English (Canada), closing the settings app solved the problem on my XS. Still works after switching to US English. Thanks a lot!

Shubham Bhatia

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2019
New Delhi, India
Hey Man!

I too was stuck this problem in my IPhone X but later one found the solution (I promise you will thank me later)-

1. Change your iphone's language to English (UK) and then close the settings tab (even from the open applications.)

2. Again change the language to English of your region and shut the settings tab.

3. Open the settings tab and now bingo! you can search anything in the settings app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey Man!

I too was stuck this problem in my IPhone X but later one found the solution (I promise you will thank me later)-

1. Change your iphone's language to English (UK) and then close the settings tab (even from the open applications.)

2. Again change the language to English of your region and shut the settings tab.

3. Open the settings tab and now bingo! you can search anything in the settings app.
Seems like a workaround that has been already discussed quite a bit in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.