Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elahrairah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hello.

I noticed on my iPhone 11 an issue. This may have come up long ago but is new to me because I had a 6s before. But something I always found I needed and now find very inconvenient. When watching a video or other activity, when I needed to see the time, I could just tap and see it at top center (along with wifi connection, etc.). Now it is not there. So if I am watching a movie while waiting, to see the time, I have to swipe to close the video (which sometimes restart the video wen I go back to it depending on the app), then swipe again to get to the home screen to see the clock. Is this intentional? Any reason for it? Any way to get back to a simple "tap to see and tap again to resume"?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hello.

I noticed on my iPhone 11 an issue. This may have come up long ago but is new to me because I had a 6s before. But something I always found I needed and now find very inconvenient. When watching a video or other activity, when I needed to see the time, I could just tap and see it at top center (along with wifi connection, etc.). Now it is not there. So if I am watching a movie while waiting, to see the time, I have to swipe to close the video (which sometimes restart the video wen I go back to it depending on the app), then swipe again to get to the home screen to see the clock. Is this intentional? Any reason for it? Any way to get back to a simple "tap to see and tap again to resume"?
What happens if you tap, then switch to portrait (rotate your phone)? Are the time and wifi signal info visible? This works on my iPhone XR.

Elahrairah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Thank you, yes that works. I usually have it propped up on a stand so I didn’t try to rotate it. Far less inconvenient, but still prefer it the other way.
Thanks again!

Reactions: revmacian

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Thank you, yes that works. I usually have it propped up on a stand so I didn’t try to rotate it. Far less inconvenient, but still prefer it the other way.
Thanks again!
You're welcome. You're right, it's not perfect.. I don't like it either. But, as my friend would say; "A half loaf of something is better than a whole loaf of nothing".
[automerge]1575676756[/automerge]
@Elahrairah I just had an idea. The next time you're watching a video in landscape mode, try swiping down from the top of the phone (while still in landscape mode, don't rotate the phone). I just tried that and the time was shown without interrupting the video. Seems to work just like it used to but we need to swipe instead of tap during the video.

Elahrairah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
I was about to post that my solved was premature. I tested on YouTube and it worked but not on Disney or Netflix. But now I see your tip of swiping down and it worked great. Have a reddit gold! I knew it was stupid of Apple to take that away they just changed it and didn’t bother to tell anyone how. Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was about to post that my solved was premature. I tested on YouTube and it worked but not on Disney or Netflix. But now I see your tip of swiping down and it worked great. Have a reddit gold! I knew it was stupid of Apple to take that away they just changed it and didn’t bother to tell anyone how. Thanks.
I think that mostly can depend on the app and how it's set up to play videos, to show the status bar or not. Ultimately, accessing Notification Center is one of the better workarounds for something like that.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I'm happy that you started this thread, it prompted me to test a few things and I ended up learning something. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.