Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Strewth. This show really is great. Way better than you'd think it has any right to be after the first viewing. After a while the world these people live in begins to make more sense, and the way they navigate through it becomes more believable. Just finished episode 3 and I'm loving it more and more. Epic

Reactions: oneteam

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
I’m actually thoroughly enjoying this show.

I must admit though, I felt a bit let down that when they opened the secret “box” it didn’t have an iPad inside. I feel they missed a golden opportunity for product placement there.

• Haha
Reactions: ackmondual

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
this show is aggravatingly bad. how can 3 people that can see be afraid of blind people? it's completely ridiculous that it constantly pulls me out.
I don't think these 3 people are afraid of the blinds. Nor do they see the blinds as handicaps.

Rather, they are afraid of being different and ostracized as heretics punishable by death.

Anyway, the final scene of episode 5 was just what I needed from Queen Kane's prayers. That and Queen Kane put into her place.

So Queen Kane and Maghra are sisters. Queen Kane grew jealous of Jerlamarel and her father's affection for Maghra.
The series may not be a masterpiece, but I am intrigued enough that I will probably pop the episode in as soon as it becomes available.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
No one who could see was left after the virus but shouldn’t those people’s progeny be able to see nevertheless? I mean, one can be infected by a virus or bacteria that leaves them blind, or become blind due to other illnesses such as glaucoma or diabetes yet that is not passed on to their children. The virus would’ve had to have caused mutations in people’s genomes so that the following generations would have been blind too. Am I right? It seems that the showrunners didn’t get scientific advice from any medical experts, anthropologists, linguists and so on. Definitely not watching the episodes left. As someone said, this is not science fiction but a farce.

You do realise it’s not supposed to be a documentary?
All science fiction falls apart very rapidly if you want it too.
[automerge]1574116490[/automerge]
this show is aggravatingly bad. how can 3 people that can see be afraid of blind people? it's completely ridiculous that it constantly pulls me out.

why would three people be concerned that virtually the rest of the human race wants to kill them for being witches? I’ve no idea.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
You do realise it’s not supposed to be a documentary?
All science fiction falls apart very rapidly if you want it too.
[automerge]1574116490[/automerge]

why would three people be concerned that virtually the rest of the human race wants to kill them for being witches? I’ve no idea.

On this show I have to agree with you. It stretches my willing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. Like that ridicules show where electricity stopped working.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
On this show I have to agree with you. It stretches my willing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point. Like that ridicules show where electricity stopped working.

Then just don’t watch it I guess. Still there’s very little science fiction that really makes sense if you apply science.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No one who could see was left after the virus but shouldn’t those people’s progeny be able to see nevertheless? I mean, one can be infected by a virus or bacteria that leaves them blind, or become blind due to other illnesses such as glaucoma or diabetes yet that is not passed on to their children. The virus would’ve had to have caused mutations in people’s genomes so that the following generations would have been blind too. Am I right? It seems that the showrunners didn’t get scientific advice from any medical experts, anthropologists, linguists and so on. Definitely not watching the episodes left. As someone said, this is not science fiction but a farce.

One possible scenario:

Those that survived the initial viral outbreak don’t die but instead, the virus caused blindness—obviously this we already know. Their offspring would also be immune to the fatal effects and are not born blind but subsequently are affected by that same virus which also causes them to be blind. A blind population would never know if their newborn children could initially see but became blind shortly thereafter.

Jerlamarel is born with a mutation against the blindness and subsequently passes that gene onto his children.

Just a thought—no idea if it’s scientifically plausible.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I've watched only episodes 1 and 2. Although I 'like' the show, I certainly don't love it. About had it with the 'Queen's' 'prayers.' Stupid and unnecessary scenes. And no, they do NOT 'add' to the story but detract from it.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2019
I've watched only episodes 1 and 2. Although I 'like' the show, I certainly don't love it. About had it with the 'Queen's' 'prayers.' Stupid and unnecessary scenes. And no, they do NOT 'add' to the story but detract from it.

i gave it a fair shake, but i will not be watching it going forward.

Reactions: jbachandouris

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
As with any new TV series, it takes a while, maybe half a season, for me to get into the story. Before See, I just finished Peaky Blinders (started watching it this year) which coincidentally is created by Steven Knight as well. Peaky Blinders blew my mind, such an amazing show - a real treat to watch. However, in the first season of PB, it took me until the end of the season to start appreciating it fully. Also to get into the characters which always takes a while I guess.

Now with See, it may be the same deal. I've seen people quitting the show after two episodes, but that's not a fair try if you ask me. It also reminded me of my experience with Game of Thrones, which I definitely didn't like from the start (thought it wasn't my kind of deal, when now I can say that I really enjoyed the first 7 seasons when I binged it a second time). 'See' has that same GoT feel to it sometimes, in a good way.

What I liked about the story telling is that the time in the first three episodes really flies and throughout the first five episodes, certain places where left behind rather quickly. Everything moved on quickly, suggesting that the show has a lot more to offer than what we've seen so far. The post-apocalyptic world of See, as well as its people, could be huge. I love exploring those kinds of worlds and seeing what's left of it.

And to just talk about the phenomenon of watching a world full of blind people; I was so engaged in it, it blew my mind when a person with actual vision appeared. Really shows how well they set it all out.

So yeah, still watching and enjoying the show. It'll probably have to keep proofing itself along the way, but I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
EP6 was marvellous. I think Jason Mamoa really carries the whole show, but I also can’t shake the feeling that he is going to be killed off by the end of the first season.

On to morning show later today.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
EP6 was marvellous. I think Jason Mamoa really carries the whole show, but I also can’t shake the feeling that he is going to be killed off by the end of the first season.

On to morning show later today.
Damn, I have the same feeling but hope not.

I also have a feeling Boots will be a major villain of the show. He just looks creepy.

Reactions: gymratjudy

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands

Like I said, you haven't given it a fair try by just watching two episodes. Not that you have to see it, but keep in mind it gets better the more you get into the story. For instance, the 'praying' most definitely adds to the story in that it's supposed to be shocking and show how ridiculous their religion and the queen are. The religion and the fact that it's so important to the people is a major theme. A blind people who've lost all information and technological progress of humanity, rely heavily on others and believe anything they hear, including some weird made-up religion... Anyway, the show moves on pretty quickly throughout the first season.

Reactions: Meuti

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Damn, I have the same feeling but hope not.

I also have a feeling Boots will be a major villain of the show. He just looks creepy.

I think boots will be a minor antagonist overall. He’s been bullied his own life, and now wants authority and power.

I suspect the major villain will still turn out to be Jerlameral. It feels like the same trope all over again - travel to find some promised land, but it turns out they are planning a revolution to upend the current world order and come out on top.

It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. The show reminds me of “into the badlands” in a way, which I also liked.

Reactions: matrix07

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I have been busy with other stuff in my spare time and so have a three-episode backlog of each of the ATV+ shows. Of all of them, I'm actually looking forward to catching-up with See the most. I'm only skimming these recent posts to reduce the risk of reading any heavy spoilers :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.