Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm sure some of you have replace your Macs for an Ipad, can you please share if it was worthy?

I have an old Macbook Pro early 2011 13 inch - Intel i5 2.3 Ghz updated with 16GB Ram and 512GB SSD Drive. I have not really been using this computer much, sometimes days without turning it on and I also have an iMac 5K 27 inch 2015 Core i7 4.0 Ghz 16GB Ram and 512SSD that I use to edit my photos on lightroom and do some browsing, I don't play games on computer. In fact this computer has too much power for my needs.

I'm thinking about selling my Macbook pro, not sure how much I can get, maybe 300 bucks and getting an iPad Pro 64 GB 11 inch, I think at this point I may have more use for an Ipad than a Macbook Pro, and its much easier to travel with but I know an iPad does not replace a computer.

Do you guys think its a good idea?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
There's a lot of topics on this subject on the forums, be sure to check them out as well.

As far as replacing the computer goes, if all you're doing is replacing your second computer you should be fine.

You haven't really told us what you do use your MacBook for, I'm especially interested since it seems like you only use it for specific occasions, given that you don't power it on that much.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
There's a lot of topics on this subject on the forums, be sure to check them out as well.

As far as replacing the computer goes, if all you're doing is replacing your second computer you should be fine.

You haven't really told us what you do use your MacBook for, I'm especially interested since it seems like you only use it for specific occasions, given that you don't power it on that much.

To be honest, lately only to browse the web and sometimes to edit a photo here and there on lightoom, but the new ipad has lightoom mobile, so...

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something, at the same time I don't want to buy a new computer since I have an iMac and this Macbook Pro is too old... so it might just make sense to make this move.

I might however wait until next year for an updated iPad Pro but I might put my macbook for sale

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
To be honest, lately only to browse the web and sometimes to edit a photo here and there on lightoom, but the new ipad has lightoom mobile, so...

I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something, at the same time I don't want to buy a new computer since I have an iMac and this Macbook Pro is too old... so it might just make sense to make this move.

I might however wait until next year for an updated iPad Pro but I might put my macbook for sale

The iPad Pro is quite capable nowadays with iOS 13, I'm sure it'll get you at least 95% of what you need from it. It's hard figure out what that other 5% might be, even when looking at my own workflow.

Have you owned an iPad before? It could be worth thinking about actually using a tablet instead of a laptop, in addition to the tasks being done. Maybe it's so much better that the shortcomings are forgiven, or maybe the ergonomics are a deal-breaker. It could be worth taking advantage of the extended holiday return period.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I am considering the switch as well but going to hold off until the new iPad Pro is released in early 2020. I have a powerful iMac in my office and use the MBP when I travel and am away from the office.

I do need to do some test driving of using the keyboard with the iPad (I do actually type on my lap on the couch a bit) and iPad OS.

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Regarding the 2020 refresh of iPad Pro, the current generation is certainly not lacking in power so I would not hold out for that reason. For the Original poster at least, the 2018 model is probably even overpowered.

An argument could be made that you're paying too much money for a 2018 model right now, especially when a new gen could come out soon, I would definitely search for a good deal. Keep in mind that the release of a new model could be months away though.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Some Lightroom and some browsing could be done on any current iPad, it doesn’t necessarily require a Pro model.
I would use the iPad for two weeks and return it if it doesn’t work out for you.

As others have said there are plenty discussions about this already so make sure you check these out.

Reactions: alexxk

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
The current iPP is the 2018 model, but it's still amazing. The benefit to it being out for a little over a year is that you should be able to find some amazing deals on it. Then, as Sunapple noted above, a new gen could come out soon. That's the risk we take.

What I would do is put the MBP away for a period--maybe a week or two?--and pick up an iPP. Pretend like it is your only option and see if how it works for you. It may take you a few tries to get find the right keyboard option, as there are so many options out there: the Smart Keyboard Folio, the Brydge, Logitech, etc. With the extended holiday return period, you have time to try it out and make sure that it's what you need and want. And if you find that you like the iPP, you can pull out the MBP and sell it. A week or two shouldn't make a difference in price at this point.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I am in a similar situation. I have a 15" Macbook Pro, that has needed service a few times lately (keyboard, battery, SSD). The last time took 2 weeks just to get an appointment to drop it off. I was quite ticked that I couldn't even drop off my $2500 computer for 2 weeks, and I don't want to buy another Macbook Pro when mine dies.

So I have been using an iPad Pro 12.9" the last few weeks to see if I can get by without the Macbook Pro. It really comes down to what you need from your iPad or Macbook.

I think there are 3 general tiers of usage (general being the key word).

1) iPad (~$1000): Email, Web Browsing, Social Media, light-moderate photo editing, light-moderate Office Apps (word processing, spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc). TV Apps, etc. Overall, this is perfectly suitable for a huge number of folks.

2) Macbook Air (~$1200): It will do all of the above things, and will run OSX apps. Some folks use apps that run on OSX and not IOS. I have a few like apps for updating firmware on cycling computers and bike trainers, apps like quicken. Some friends have some ballistics apps, etc. that require OX or windows. This machine is good for those that need to run OSX, but don't need to run at the highest speed, but want to travel light (lower cost and lower weight than the other Macbooks).

3) Macbook Pro (~$2500): This will do do everything the Macbook Air will but faster and with a better screen. If you really need the horse-power for photo editing, video editing, calculations, and can spend almost double the money, this is a good solution.

It sounds like your needs would fall into either the 1st or 2nd category. I guess if I were you, I wuld look at what made you have to open the macbook lately, and decide if those things fall into Ipad Pro, or Macbook Air territory.

I used to need a Macbook Pro for serious photo editing. I don't need that any more, and I won't have a $2500 computer dead in the water for the time periods I did this year. If I am going to have that kind of down time, I will stay in the $1000-$1200 category.

At this point, the iPad Pro does everything I need except for paying bills with Quicken. If my Macbook Pro died tomorrow, I wouldn't replace it. I would move Quicken to my wife's PC and do everything else with the iPad Pro. I just cant see spending $2500 on a macbook pro that is a PITA to get repaired.

I hope this feedback helps. Good Luck with your decision.

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
Hello! Since it’s your second device not your primary one, have you considered the iPad mini? I think it’s more comfortable for your light use cases and probably adequate for editing a single photo here and there. As someone else suggested, perhaps use the extended return period to try both!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Hello everyone,

I'm sure some of you have replace your Macs for an Ipad, can you please share if it was worthy?

My current set up is a 27inch 5k iMac and the 2018 iPP, and to answer your question.. yes, it’s worthy. I like the flexibility the iPP provides.. I can just pick it up and go.. whether interacting via touchscreen only or putting it on a desk/table and using a keyboard.

From your experiences... you potentially could share the same set up as mine. If you want my recommendation, I’d say go for it... the 2018 iPP is a pleasure to use. The introduction of iPadOS has made the iPad a bonafide laptop replacement. Although, others may disagree... but as for me, I’ve been on the iPad as my laptop train for over 3 years.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro that I bought in 2017. I find myself not using it as much as I originally thought...mainly web browsing, some excel spreadsheets, social media...that kind of thing. I got it during a black friday sale in 2017 for $250 off so it was a decent deal.

I could probably do everything on an iPad Pro with a keyboard. But I'm not going to sell my MacBook and switch to the iPad at this time...my MacBook is perfectly fine. I will keep it until it dies....that being said, I may replace my MacBook with an iPad in the future when it does dies. I will have to think about that when the time comes.

Reactions: Ghost31 and alexxk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
An argument could be made that you're paying too much money for a 2018 model right now, especially when a new gen could come out soon, I would definitely search for a good deal. Keep in mind that the release of a new model could be months away though.

True, you would definitely be right. If someone was to buy a 2018 iPP at full retail that would be idiotic, but I’ve always approach someone who is considering buying one right now... buy one on a good deal. The 2018 iPP is more than capable for what the OP desires.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks everyone, those were some really good advice.

I will put my Macbook Pro on sale this weekend, it works, but its too old and for what I need I believe an iPad Pro will be enough, maybe even the new iPad, but the 120HZ of the Pro is just amazing.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
True, you would definitely be right. If someone was to buy a 2018 iPP at full retail that would be idiotic, but I’ve always approach someone who is considering buying one right now... buy one on a good deal. The 2018 iPP is more than capable for what the OP desires.
You can pick up the 2018 IPad Pro models at a good discount several ways right now. There are black Friday specials, Apple refurbs come up sometimes. Apple also has their %10 veterans/military discount, school discount, etc. I recently went the craigslist route and got a 2018 12.9" Ipad Pro cellular 64GB, for $700. It came with a bluetooth keyboard that works really well, and a sturdy stand. It was in perfect condition.

I'm not worried about the probably 2020 upgrade. If something really great comes out, I can re-sell my current iPad pro and upgrade, and its still way cheaper than the Macbook Pro route. In the mean time, I get to use a really great iPad Pro.

Another advantage of the iPad Pro over a Macbook, that no one has mentioned yet in this thread is how great photo's and other media look on the iPad Pro. The screen is fantastic for this. If want to read, check out photos, watch youtube videos, I always grab the iPad Pro over the macbook.

Edit: Fixed 2019 typo. Corrected to 2018.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
You can pick up the 2018 IPad Pro models at a good discount several ways right now. There are black Friday specials, Apple refurbs come up sometimes. Apple also has their %10 veterans/military discount, school discount, etc. I recently went the craigslist route and got a 2019 12.9" Ipad Pro cellular 64GB, for $700. It came with a bluetooth keyboard that works really well, and a sturdy stand. It was in perfect condition.

I'm not worried about the probably 2020 upgrade. If something really great comes out, I can re-sell my current iPad pro and upgrade, and its still way cheaper than the Macbook Pro route. In the mean time, I get to use a really great iPad Pro.

Umm.. there‘s no such thing as a 2019 iPP, but I get what you mean.

But I already know there are several ways of getting a good deal off a iPP, my point was... that no one should be buying it full retail. And, no one should be concern with the near-end cycle of the 2018 iPP because of how well-capable it is.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Umm.. there‘s no such thing as a 2019 iPP, but I get what you mean.

But I already know there are several ways of getting a good deal off a iPP, my point was... that no one should be buying it full retail. And, no one should be concern with the near-end cycle of the 2018 iPP because of how well-capable it is.
Thanks, you are Correct. The 2019 reference was a typo. I fixed it.

And I was really adding on to your comments for the OP and others, about the current pricing. I wasn't trying to convert the converted. LOL

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello everyone,

I have an old Macbook Pro early 2011 13 inch - Intel i5 2.3 Ghz updated with 16GB Ram and 512GB SSD Drive. I have not really been using this computer much, sometimes days without turning it on and I also have an iMac 5K 27 inch 2015 Core i7 4.0 Ghz 16GB Ram and 512SSD that I use to edit my photos on lightroom and do some browsing, I don't play games on computer. In fact this computer has too much power for my needs.

I'm thinking about selling my Macbook pro, not sure how much I can get, maybe 300 bucks and getting an iPad Pro 64 GB 11 inch, I think at this point I may have more use for an Ipad than a Macbook Pro, and its much easier to travel with but I know an iPad does not replace a computer.

Yeah, it sounds like the iPad Pro would be a great fit!

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Good plan, OP!

If I were in your situation, I would sell the MacBook Pro, buy the iPad Pro, then do a bit of research on apps that provide remote access to your main iMac from the iPad. That way, anything that really needs a Mac could still be done remotely from the iPad on the sofa.

Only reservation: why not go for the 12.9” instead of the 11” ? The size will more closely match what you are accustomed to on the 13” macbook pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: millydog and alexxk

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I have a 27" 5K iMac in my home office, and a iPad Pro 11" 64GB 4G for travelling and around home, works for me.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Good plan, OP!

If I were in your situation, I would sell the MacBook Pro, buy the iPad Pro, then do a bit of research on apps that provide remote access to your main iMac from the iPad. That way, anything that really needs a Mac could still be done remotely from the iPad on the sofa.

Only reservation: why not go for the 12.9” instead of the 11” ? The size will more closely match what you are accustomed to on the 13” macbook pro.

I think the 11 inch is a sweet spot for me. It’s not small and it’s not too big, plus it’s a bit cheaper as well. For traveling I believe it’s a great size.

Reactions: Hym tix

charlien

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Hello everyone,

I’d recommend you bump the storage

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
My wife just got hers last week for $650 at Best Buy by price match Amazon. At that price and how much we use it for it’s a steal

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Hello! Since it’s your second device not your primary one, have you considered the iPad mini? I think it’s more comfortable for your light use cases and probably adequate for editing a single photo here and there. As someone else suggested, perhaps use the extended return period to try both!

I second this. The mini is probably my most used device after my phone. Ultra portable, powerful and fun to use.

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
I tried the same thing. Sold an old MacBook Pro and got a iPad Pro with a keyboard. Returned the iPad after a week and got a MacBook Air. The form factor and ergonomics of an iPad didn't work for me as compared to a laptop. With Apple's return policy, you can always try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.