Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I see you've already decided to go for it, I think it will work out great!

Just this last weekend I helped a friend from work to migrate from an old Windows laptop (and I mean old, at least for winPC standards) to the new iPad. That's it, the new, but regular iPad, without the Pro.

She used the old laptop to work in MS office (word and excel mainly, with a few slide presentations from time to time), slack, playing youtube as background music, email and for an online masters degree she is taking.

All of these are childplay for the iPad, with the new iPad OS file support, multitasking, and support for apple's pencil and smart keyboard. She got it on the "Buen Fin" (good weekend, our local version of your Black friday weekend) with a hefty 100 USD discount from apple's retail price.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Ever since I got an iPad I had noticed that I used my MBP a once decked out oldie mid 2010 (2.4Ghz C2D, 750GB HDD, 8GB Ram) less and over the years, far less than my iPad.

I just sold my MBP and ordered a Pro 12.9 512GB LTE(2017) for a great deal. As I have used my iPad Air over the years and ignored my Mac.

I don’t see myself regretting my decision except the difficult part is finding a buyer for a mint 27” ACD. Ugh...

Reactions: Cape Dave

Quixotic3

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
I was In a similar position as the op, I sold my 2012 mbp for 450 and was able to pick up the 512 gb 10.5 ipp for $599 from Walmart. It is my second ”computer” I have a 5k iMac as my main computer . As a second computer the iPad is perfect. I don’t think that it is worth it to upgrade to the 11, I would wait for the next generation to upgrade if you can wait, the cost difference is too much for what you get.

Reactions: cdcastillo

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I tried the same thing. Sold an old MacBook Pro and got a iPad Pro with a keyboard. Returned the iPad after a week and got a MacBook Air. The form factor and ergonomics of an iPad didn't work for me as compared to a laptop. With Apple's return policy, you can always try it out.
I think the best balance is MacBook and iPad...I need my MacBook Air for work and my iPad for apps and easy access when on the sofa e.t.c...I know this isn't realistic for many due to costs.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Guys,

I pulled the trigger. I was not able to sell my MacBook Pro yet. I found out the CD Room is not working as well. Not sure I will be able to sell it.

Anyway I bought the iPad Pro 11 inch 64GB from Best Buy for 649. I think this is a great deal

I was going to wait the next revision but this thing is very capable with the A12X anyway and i don’t know when it’s coming out anyway and I believe it’s going to be a small bump in specs. I don’t care for cameras on iPad Pro.

I was also undecided between the 64 vs the 256GB but for what I do I think the 64 is enough!!

I hope I like it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I was also undecided between the 64 vs the 256GB but for what I do I think the 64 is enough!!

I hope I like it.

Awesome! You'll definitely like it.... not sure about that 64gb model, you might end up regretting it in the long run.

But as long as you heavily utilize cloud services.. you'll be fine.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Guys, the iPad I bought came with IpadOS 12.4

I had lots of little issues with iOS 13 on my iPhone and I'm not sure how the IPAD13 is since I have never tried. However I love Dark Mode and I'm missing it on here.

Should I upgrade to iPadOS 13? Is it better now with the recent updates?

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019

I had lots of little issues with iOS 13 on my iPhone and I'm not sure how the IPAD13 is since I have never tried. However I love Dark Mode and I'm missing it on here.

No problems with my iPad 11" iPad or my iPhone pro. I have had my iPad 11' for a year now best iPad i have had. I have a late 2015 27" 5k iMac in my home office now, when it's done will probably go iPad only. Macs are just too expensive here now for my needs. Latest 16" 1TB MacBook pro starts at $4,399AUD.

Reactions: Abstract

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA

Between iOS 12 on my old iPad Air to iPadOS on my iPP, there’s a lot to like...

Only noticed some music tagging issues if you have a synced music library that don’t show up in older devices/os versions. Not many people sync music anymore so it’s pretty much a non-issue.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Between iOS 12 on my old iPad Air to iPadOS on my iPP, there’s a lot to like...

Only noticed some music tagging issues if you have a synced music library that don’t show up in older devices/os versions. Not many people sync music anymore so it’s pretty much a non-issue.
I sync music. Yikes, I’ll be staying away.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I sync music. Yikes, I’ll be staying away.

I do wish there was a way to edit tags on any iOS/iPadOS device. I do know the tags on my affected albums are correct on both my Mac and my older iPods. Albums downloaded with an Apple Music sub show up just fine (as expected), just some of my older video game soundtracks and compilation albums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I do wish there was a way to edit tags on any iOS/iPadOS device. I do know the tags on my affected albums are correct on both my Mac and my older iPods. Albums downloaded with an Apple Music sub show up just fine (as expected), just some of my older video game soundtracks and compilation albums.
Me too, but I’m not holding my breath. It seems like the way of iOS/ipadOS is and will always be streaming subscriptions, which most people are probably happy with. People who demand absolute control over their media libraries, like myself, will probably always depend on macOS.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Me too, but I’m not holding my breath. It seems like the way of iOS/ipadOS is and will always be streaming subscriptions, which most people are probably happy with. People who demand absolute control over their media libraries, like myself, will probably always depend on macOS.

I will still try to go iPad/iPhone only for a while. The music label issue aside, everything is working out just fine. I still have a Windows PC if all else fails but it’s embarrassingly slow to do much with.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Go right ahead and update it! You'll be satisfied!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I would update just to have dark mode alone but there are a good bunch of other features in 13.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Awesome! You'll definitely like it.... not sure about that 64gb model, you might end up regretting it in the long run.

But as long as you heavily utilize cloud services.. you'll be fine.

Everyone on this forum always says this. 64 gig is plenty for most people. I’m only using 25 gig on my air 3.

Reactions: xxray

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Those that have switched to iPad are you using a keyboard case if so what, and a mouse?

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Those that have switched to iPad are you using a keyboard case if so what, and a mouse?
I only recently got the keyboard case, as I think it's a bit expensive for what it is. I had the smart cover and a small logitech keyboard, which I had no issues with. Not as thin as the smart keyboard, but did offer additional flexibility. I only recently got the smart keyboard because of several gift cards, and a sale.

As far as a mouse, an old logitech mx master, which works great.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
I ditched my MacBook Pro as I have a 2018 Mac mini and an iPad Pro 12.9
The IPP is more portable and has LTE. When I need real work done nothing beats a desktop. I use Apple Smart Cover keyboard. Best of everything for my needs.

scarrz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
Same boat as OP. I have a 2016 MBP which has worked great (primarily keep it plugged in at a desk w/monitor) but has recently developed a swollen battery and I'd rather not fork out the money to have it repaired. I have a 1st gen 12.9" Ipad Pro which I primarily use for everything anyways so thinking of just converting to using this full time. My primary tasks are email, browsing and scanning docs. If I can come up with a good system for importing docs w/OCR and file management I don't see any reason of keeping the MBP around. Might hang on to the 1st gen Ipad Pro until the 2020 models roll out.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I ditched my MacBook Pro as I have a 2018 Mac mini and an iPad Pro 12.9
The IPP is more portable and has LTE. When I need real work done nothing beats a desktop. I use Apple Smart Cover keyboard. Best of everything for my needs.
Same boat as OP. I have a 2016 MBP which has worked great (primarily keep it plugged in at a desk w/monitor) but has recently developed a swollen battery and I'd rather not fork out the money to have it repaired. I have a 1st gen 12.9" Ipad Pro which I primarily use for everything anyways so thinking of just converting to using this full time. My primary tasks are email, browsing and scanning docs. If I can come up with a good system for importing docs w/OCR and file management I don't see any reason of keeping the MBP around. Might hang on to the 1st gen Ipad Pro until the 2020 models roll out.

Yes, I can tell you that I'm loving it this iPad Pro. I don't think I would miss my macbook pro.

The only thing I can think of that sometimes I might miss is the ability to to share my screen, I have my Plex on my Imac and I used to use my macbook to access my iMac to make whatever changes i need, now I need to go there mysefl and do it instead of using my macbook to control my iMac

Besides this, I love the iPad Pro and wow this things is fast... this is much faster than my 2011 Macbook Pro

Reactions: scarrz

scarrz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2015
Yes, I can tell you that I'm loving it this iPad Pro. I don't think I would miss my macbook pro.

The only thing I can think of that sometimes I might miss is the ability to to share my screen, I have my Plex on my Imac and I used to use my macbook to access my iMac to make whatever changes i need, now I need to go there mysefl and do it instead of using my macbook to control my iMac

Besides this, I love the iPad Pro and wow this things is fast... this is much faster than my 2011 Macbook Pro

Thanks for the followup. I'm about 90% sure I"m going to ditch the MBP and make the IPP work for me. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.