Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuzuBell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
I need to send an iMovie video from my MacBookPro to my iPhone camera roll. I would like to do so without decreasing quality (sharpness/bluriness). I have tried to:

1) Save iMovie video and AirDrop it to my iPhone (got an error "Failed to save item. Save to iCloud Drive instead."

2) Save iMovie to my DropBox application. Then on my iPhone, hold down on the video, and click "Save to camera roll". It starts trying to save and gets up to about 70% but stops with no errors/information.

3) Save iMovie to my DropBox application. Then on my iPhone, hold down on the video, and click "Open in." Then, I click "Save video". Get a message "Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device".

I have tried this when my iMovie was both .mov and .mp4 formats. My video is 830MB. I tried the same procedure with a placeholder smaller video (~200MB) but same issues.

My question is: How can I successfully transfer this iMovie video from MacBookPro to my iPhone camera roll without decreasing quality? Thank you for any advice you can provide!

SuzuBell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Isn't Photos app the same thing as camera roll? If so, then I cannot add it to camera roll as described above.

I did find out that resolution and other settings matter. When exporting the video from iMovie, saving as "Best - ProRes" will not work. I have to save it as "HIGH". Now, I can only transfer by 1080 HIGH via DropBox and AirDrop. I cannot transfer 4K HIGH via DropBox or AirDrop.

I would like to figure out how to transfer these 4K videos without losing resolution from my Mac to my camera roll. (It must be on my camera roll because I indeed to upload them to Instagram). Thank you.

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
(It must be on my camera roll because I indeed to upload them to Instagram)
I don't use Instagram, but is that actually a hard requirement from the app? If you copy the movies to your phone using filesharing so that they show up in the 'Files' app, can't you tap on them there and get a share menu that lets you send the file to the Instagram app or something?

SuzuBell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2019
Thank you both for your support. I am pretty new to Instagram and may be incorrect, but it seems on my mobile (iPhone) that when I try to add a post, I can choose one of three locations: 1 "Library" (which is my camera roll), 2 "Photo" (which is my camera photo mode), or 3 "Video" (which is my camera video mode).

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
What I meant was, instead of trying to 'pull' the movie through the Instagram app, try 'pushing' it using the Files app. If you tap and hold on the file in the Files app, you should get a popup menu with a whole bunch of send/share/copy options. One of those options may let the Files app send the video directly to the Instagram app, thereby circumventing the issue of trying to get the file into the camera roll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.