Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Noticing there’s a bunch of threads indicating the battery life on the 5 is less than other versions. I can comfortably say with Watch is 6.0.1 battery life is excellent. I have cellular series 5 titanium (but no active cellular plan for the watch) and yesterday I went home to 50% battery life after 12 hrs away. I updated to os 6.0.1 and now it’s 11 hrs since I started my day and I have 70% battery life. i started my day at 730am and got home at 645pm.
Display brightness is max. App refresh is limited to overcast, stats (tesla application). Noise, compass, are both active.
So I’m really happy with the battery life. I didn’t work out yesterday but I usually charge for 30 mins while getting ready for work after the gym so will see how that goes but always on display is fantastic and to have the same battery life as my series 3 is tremendous!!!
So I hope no one is stirred away from the series 5 because of the battery life. It was a software issue that’s seems to have been resolved.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I can get up to 3 days on one charge with my Series 3 (42mm). Didn’t let it die or go below 10%. Never do. It could be watchOS 6 that helped improve battery life for older watches. I have everything enabled as it should and use the workout app a few times a week.

I think the new watch with the AOD has the right chip to help keep the battery life the same as the Series 4.

I’m glad to see positive results with the 5. May convince me to upgrade in a year or 2 to the 5. For now, my Series 3 is still beyond what I need and want.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I can get up to 3 days on one charge with my Series 3 (42mm). Didn’t let it die or go below 10%. Never do. It could be watchOS 6 that helped improve battery life for older watches. I have everything enabled as it should and use the workout app a few times a week.

I think the new watch with the AOD has the right chip to help keep the battery life the same as the Series 4.

I’m glad to see positive results with the 5. May convince me to upgrade in a year or 2 to the 5. For now, my Series 3 is still beyond what I need and want.

The Series 5 has the same chip as the Series 4, so it actually doesn’t have the same life as the Series 4. Its worse.

The update did not do anything for battery life and anyone claiming otherwise doesn’t know what they are talking about. Apple never made a claim that the recent update had anything to do with battery life and there are many who are still having very poor battery life with 6.0.1.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Jury still out here. Today mine was doing really good, 2.8%/hr over 6.75hrs until my outdoor run (GPS + music over cellular).

32% battery drop for a 45 minute run instead of the 20-25% I saw on 6.0

Then about 4-5% drop per hour until I rebooted the watch before going to the movies and putting it in theater mode so it would die before getting home. That seemed to help, cutting usage to 2%/hr since b
[automerge]1569982463[/automerge]
The update did not do anything for battery life and anyone claiming otherwise doesn’t know what they are talking about.
Oh please don’t be that guy.

People here are certainly capable of looking at the clock and the battery level and assessing battery drain over time, then noting what it is before and after things like an update.

it’s pretty simple math.

Asserting that others aren't seeing something they’re clearly seeing just makes you look foolish.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I guess I’m not able to count time according to poster above. And I don’t know how to read 100%-XX% lol. I have a graduate degree in Bull S. haha

johnasch

Suspended
Sep 13, 2019
Toronto
The Series 5 has the same chip as the Series 4, so it actually doesn’t have the same life as the Series 4. Its worse.

The update did not do anything for battery life and anyone claiming otherwise doesn’t know what they are talking about. Apple never made a claim that the recent update had anything to do with battery life and there are many who are still having very poor battery life with 6.0.1.

Agree to disagree there. My battery has been much better after the update. AOD on and experiencing less than 2% drain per hour, before the update it was around 5%.

A7AE8678-DE7A-4F05-BE79-844458E6961A.jpeg

image.jpg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I guess I’m not able to count time according to poster above. And I don’t know how to read 100%-XX% lol. I have a graduate degree in Bull S. haha
It’s the typical myopic “they’re claiming something I haven’t seen so they must be wrong” thinking.

It’s related to the “I don’t need that feature so it’s dumb cuz nobody needs it” view. ?
[automerge]1569983760[/automerge]
Agree to disagree there. My battery has been much better after the update. AOD on and experiencing less than 2% drain per hour, before the update it was around 5%.

View attachment 865654

View attachment 865655

FYI with OS6 you have Usage on the watch screen directly, Setting->General->Usage and scroll to bottom.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004

View attachment 865654

View attachment 865655
According to some posters here, that’s incorrect. That’s not possible! That must be photoshop right?
[automerge]1569983992[/automerge]
Ok mine shows 1hr, 53 mins of usage and 11 hrs 52 mins of standby time. 70%! That’s great!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
It probably needs to start from 100% and not partially charged? Im just guessing. Sometimes when I charge it shows dashes but when its done and I can now use the watch from 100% then I get usage stats.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
It’s the typical myopic “they’re claiming something I haven’t seen so they must be wrong” thinking.

It’s related to the “I don’t need that feature so it’s dumb cuz nobody needs it” view.
[automerge]1569983760[/automerge]

FYI with OS6 you have Usage on the watch screen directly, Setting->General->Usage and scroll to bottom.

Didn’t know that either, thank you!! :)

I think this is pretty good for being at 78%

d43b9ef1c700398dfe1e6e47f30a198d.jpg

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
On my Watch 5 6.01, the battery life is noticeably better than it was on 6.0.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Ok same results. Worked out for 30 mins. Charged again during my shower. Standby is 11hr 45 min, usage is 1hr 51 min. Arrival charge was 68%. Started my day at 6am and got home at 615.

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
I’m getting 2.1%/hour usage after 6.01/13.1.2.
This includes no workout, AOD on, wake to raise off. California watch face. AutoSleep during the night (theatre mode/fly). Background task on for only apps like weather etc. No cellular use (activated).
I did have a decent battery life also with 6.0, but not as good as it now.
So. Have to say, there’s no difference between S4 vs S5 in my case. And AOD is on!

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
old thread... i just got a series 5 on black friday hoping maybe my battery life with AOD turned off would be superior to my 4... no dice. for some reason i'm seeing 4% per hour, irrespective of AOD on/off. it's possible something is stuck on the watch; it is set to download about 7 albums and playlists yet after several 2-3 hour sessions on the charger, no music has shown up.

net result is that i only get about 24h out of the watch with my usual "charge while in the shower" routine. with the series 4 i could get around 36h in that way and with my series 3 i could get 48h easily. since i still have the 4 i can wear it while the 5 is charging but i feel like something is wrong with the watch based on the 2%/hr other people have reported.

this watch was set up as new rather than from a backup, and just set up like a week ago... seems hard to believe the software load is bad.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I cant complain on battery life. I had a series 4 that drained really quick on 6.1. I sold it and decided not to bother with another watch.
I ended up getting the series 5 and battery life has been great!

Unsure as to the reason for difference but I'm not complaining

Reactions: rosegoldoli

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
I get up around six o‘ clock in the morning, and put the watch back on the charger around nine-thirty at night. So far, since the uplate at least (mind you I bought my watch mid October and had the update almost immediately), I have regularly seen around 40% battery left when I put it down on the charger.

I’m thinking 18 hours is totally obtainable and so far with this as my first watch I’m nothing short of very pleased!

Reactions: rosegoldoli

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
i guess i have no choice but to nuke and pave this thing and see if it behaves better. it's not working like other peoples' watches are.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I get up around six o‘ clock in the morning, and put the watch back on the charger around nine-thirty at night. So far, since the uplate at least (mind you I bought my watch mid October and had the update almost immediately), I have regularly seen around 40% battery left when I put it down on the charger.

I’m thinking 18 hours is totally obtainable and so far with this as my first watch I’m nothing short of very pleased!

My experiences closely mirror what you’re experiencing. I’m generally up between 5 and 6am, and take the Watch off between 10 and 11pm and I’m generally somewhere between 30% and 40% battery remaining. I’ve got the cellular S5 Nike, with everything turned on, including AOD. I can’t say how it compares to previous versions, models or software, since it’s my first Watch. My other watch is going on almost 15 years of continuous use with zero battery issues...because it doesn’t have a battery!

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
old thread... i just got a series 5 on black friday hoping maybe my battery life with AOD turned off would be superior to my 4... no dice. for some reason i'm seeing 4% per hour, irrespective of AOD on/off. it's possible something is stuck on the watch; it is set to download about 7 albums and playlists yet after several 2-3 hour sessions on the charger, no music has shown up.

net result is that i only get about 24h out of the watch with my usual "charge while in the shower" routine. with the series 4 i could get around 36h in that way and with my series 3 i could get 48h easily. since i still have the 4 i can wear it while the 5 is charging but i feel like something is wrong with the watch based on the 2%/hr other people have reported.

this watch was set up as new rather than from a backup, and just set up like a week ago... seems hard to believe the software load is bad.
24 hrs is greater than Apple’s spec for the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.