Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
24 hrs is greater than Apple’s spec for the watch.

so? i'm talking about a scenario where i charge the watch for 20mins per day and comparing the performance of the 3 types of watches under that charging scheme. all 3 of these watches were rated by apple to have the same battery life - 18h. despite that all three generations behave quite differently.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I understand what you’re saying but I can see no cause for complaint as it lasts the expected (by Apple) 18 hours. The fact that you have different expectations (even although based on previous experience) is an entirely different matter.

Reactions: rosegoldoli

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
so? i'm talking about a scenario where i charge the watch for 20mins per day and comparing the performance of the 3 types of watches under that charging scheme. all 3 of these watches were rated by apple to have the same battery life - 18h. despite that all three generations behave quite differently.
Apples and oranges.

Last edited:

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Apples and oranges.

not really... if they all will last 18h between charges and the batteries keep getting bigger, then it stands to reason that they should have similar discharge performance. bottom line is that something seems to be wrong with my s5 because it discharges at a rate ~2x that of my series 3 and series 4 - there's no way this thing would even go 18h in the state it is in.

at any rate i erased the s5 and restored it from a backup this time, so i'll see if anything is different.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
actually maybe something is wrong with the battery in this watch; i just charged it to 100% and 10 mins after removing it from the charger it says the capacity is 97%. i've never seen such a quick drop before.

Reactions: ferretex

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
At best Series 5 battery life is adequate. For someone to call it great is completely wrong. Series 5 is significantly worse than Series 4. That said it still makes it through a day, but was hoping for better battery life, not noticeably worse.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
not really... if they all will last 18h between charges and the batteries keep getting bigger, then it stands to reason that they should have similar discharge performance. bottom line is that something seems to be wrong with my s5 because it discharges at a rate ~2x that of my series 3 and series 4 - there's no way this thing would even go 18h in the state it is in.

at any rate i erased the s5 and restored it from a backup this time, so i'll see if anything is different.
If that’s the case then there is something wrong with your watch. I guess I understood you to say your watch battery would only last 24h When Apple only specs the battery for 18h.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
If that’s the case then there is something wrong with your watch. I guess I understood you to say your watch battery would only last 24h When Apple only specs the battery for 18h.

we shall see, i'm at around 24h now after resetting the watch and one 20min charge yesterday - that's when it showed 100% and then immediately 97% 10mins after taking it off. currently @ 26% which is definitely lower than the 4 would be at this point in the cycle.

but it always seems to take a couple of days for the watch to settle down after being initially set up, so i'll give it a while.

anyway i still have the 4 so i can wear that while the 5 is charging. my problem is that i want to wear the watch for sleep tracking, otherwise i would not care about this at all since it would get charged up every night and last long enough like that.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Everybody’s usage is different though

true but i try to keep mine on the light side - almost all background app refresh turned off and only load the very minimum number of apps that i might need, brightness all the way down, etc. for me runtime has always been the #1 concern over everything else.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Got a charging question/issue with my S5.
When I put the watch on a charger overnight it seems to charge until full and then after a period of time it seems as though it just stops charging and starts to drain the battery. Woke up the last couple mornings with it at 82% and 90%. Took the watch off and then back on and it charged back up to 100%.
This didn’t happen with my S3.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
i noticed this the other day, i think what happens is that when you put it on the charger it starts auto-downloading all the junk it thinks it needs to - music, podcasts, pictures, etc.

in theory this should settle down after the first few days of ownership but i suppose if you make playlists and or/add podcasts that might trigger the watch to do a whole bunch of downloading when on the charger.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
For some reason my S4 is great some days and even with a 10K run I’m around 50% when I go to bed. Other days it’s around 30% without any GPS workout

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
mine has certainly improved over time...I was ending the day on 20% left after workouts but now it seems closer to 30%...which for me is fine as I charge everyday. it's got to the point where I don't need to look at the battery % which is how it should be really.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
mine has certainly improved over time...I was ending the day on 20% left after workouts but now it seems closer to 30%...which for me is fine as I charge everyday. it's got to the point where I don't need to look at the battery % which is how it should be really.
I never end a day with less than 40%, even with workouts indoor and outdoor.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
mine seems to be improving as well after restoring my s4 backup and giving it a few days. getting about 2 days now with ~20 mins of charging per day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.