Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I just upgraded to the s5 SS SB from a s3 SS SB. Amazon had the cellular model for $50 off ($724 total). It is still syncing the backup but, I like going from the S3 42mm to the 44mm size. I debated a good while between 40 or 44mm. I can tell already, that I made the right decision. It is also noticeably faster installing the 6.1 update and transferring the backup.

@BasicGreatGuy

What band are you using?

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I tried the link bracelet at the Apple store and could not manage it. It’s not for me, so don’t go there. My doctor prefers that I use a SS band because of being prone to wrist rashes. That only leaves the ML band unless I am missing something. I would prefer to stay with Apple bands. I thought about the new sport loop bands. I tried one and my wrist felt warm and slightly sweaty. Therefore I am stuck with the ML.

Plain ML is fine. SB ML is the problematic child...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
@BasicGreatGuy

What band are you using?
At the moment, I am using a brand new Nike Midnight Fog sport Loop. I have a Meyer Lemon Leather band arriving tomorrow, along with the Midnight Blue Sport Loop.vI really ike the look of the lemon with the space black.

I have (brand new) a light brown leather loop, stone leather loop, and smoke gray leather loops that I have never opened. I am trying to decide if I want to try one of them with the watch, or sell them. I still have several sport bands I have never used. I am not crazy about the feel of them after several hours, versus the leather and sport loop.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I am not one who likes changing bands. I have a SB ML and, after consideration regarding being very prone to wrist rashes, from watch bands, and asking my dermatologist, I have decided to stay with that as my band. I find it the easiest for me to manage.

Since it will be my ONLY band, i remain unsure how to periodically clean it.

Apple suggests to just wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth. Is that sufficient or would showering without the watch be better?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I am not one who likes changing bands. I have a SB ML and, after consideration regarding being very prone to wrist rashes, from watch bands, and asking my dermatologist, I have decided to stay with that as my band. I find it the easiest for me to manage.

Since it will be my ONLY band, i remain unsure how to periodically clean it.

Apple suggests to just wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth. Is that sufficient or would showering without the watch be better?
Don't immerse the ML in water. The clasp end with the magnet has a iron magnet inside it and it's not water-tight. Water will get in and the magnet can rust and expand, bulging the clasp and make securing the magnetic clasp problematic, or can fail entirely with a small amount of external pressure, making the watch fall to the ground.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Don't immerse the ML in water. The clasp end with the magnet has a iron magnet inside it and it's not water-tight. Water will get in and the magnet can rust and expand, bulging the clasp and make securing the magnetic clasp problematic, or can fail entirely with a small amount of external pressure, making the watch fall to the ground.

@xraydoc. Thanks then just using a microfiber cloth, as per Apple is best?

Did you secure a new S5 watch?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
@xraydoc. Thanks then just using a microfiber cloth, as per Apple is best?

Did you secure a new S5 watch?
I've only needed to clean my ML a couple of times. I've used a very tiny drop of hand soap on a toothbrush and gently scrubbed the mesh on both sides, rinsed the soap off the toothbrush, then rescrubbed the band with just water on the brush to get the soap out of the mesh, then patted it down with a cloth and let it air dry. Seemed to work very well.

Doesn't really follow Apple's recommendation, but better than dunking the whole thing in cleanser and potentially killing the end with the magnet.

And yes, wearing a silver stainless S5 with my stainless link bracelet today.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I've only needed to clean my ML a couple of times. I've used a very tiny drop of hand soap on a toothbrush and gently scrubbed the mesh on both sides, rinsed the soap off the toothbrush, then rescrubbed the band with just water on the brush to get the soap out of the mesh, then patted it down with a cloth and let it air dry. Seemed to work very well.

Doesn't really follow Apple's recommendation, but better than dunking the whole thing in cleanser and potentially killing the end with the magnet.

And yes, wearing a silver stainless S5 with my stainless link bracelet today.

Just an FYI, I lightly cleaned my ML band for years (S0 from the first year the were released). This year I put that band in my sonic cleaner, I have to tell you, I have a rather large cleaner, the entire water was filthy with the dirt coming off that band. There is NO WAY to clean that band with just a cloth...

The good news is, the band looks brand new for the first time in years. Since the change is gradual, I never realized how dirty it looked until I took it out from cleaning (I had to run it through 3-4 times before the water remained clear).

Reactions: Vampire14

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I’m curious. Do some of you stick with the SS from one upgrade to the next? Reasons?

This is my second Apple Watch and my second in SBSS. February 2019 and October 2019. I am sort of forced to stick with SS because of wrist rashes from mist watches. My doctor advised me to stick with the SS watch and SS ML. I would love to consider alternatives for next upgrade, but can’t.

Reactions: DotCom2

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I’m curious. Do some of you stick with the SS from one upgrade to the next? Reasons?

I had a silver Stainless Series 0 and my next was a Space Black Stainless Series 4. I expect (hope) to get another three years out of the Series 4 before I upgrade again, at which point I will get another Space Black Stainless as I personally find it to be the most beautiful finish.

Reactions: Vampire14

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008

This is my second Apple Watch and my second in SBSS. February 2019 and October 2019. I am sort of forced to stick with SS because of wrist rashes from mist watches. My doctor advised me to stick with the SS watch and SS ML. I would love to consider alternatives for next upgrade, but can’t.
I have and will always get SS. Sapphire, looks classy, best band compatibility so win/win for me.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
No, I thought I made that clearer. SS matches the most band choices (sportband pins, lugs etc).

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
SS = silver. I always get regular SS. I already answered you?

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
I really wanted to love the SBSS so I gave it a chance this time around and now I have a bit of buyer's remorse. The more I wear this watch the duller I find it, even with the SBLB strapped onto it. Next time I'll go back to SS for sure.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Not sure if anyone else does this but I get my watches based on the colour of my iPhone. first watch was AW3 space grey aluminium to match my space grey iPhone XS, now I have silver 11 Pro and SS AW5

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
you mean to use the SB ML period? I guess I was asking, where/how it scratches?

Mine got scratched on the corner edge where the SBSS meets the screen.
4F393671-B889-49B5-9C94-25CE0118DCD9.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Strangedream
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.