Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robogobo

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
OMG Every update over the past few months has done nothing but break stuff. What the heck is up with Apple lately?

And I just found out on the Apple Support Forums that the breaking of Safari iCloud tabs and history sync between iOS 13 and pre-Catalina macOS was intentional and will not be fixed. That's insane. That means a major feature of iCloud has dropped support for a one year old OS version.

Add to that, your perfectly good Smart Battery Case will stop working on iOS 13, Reminders will break older versions, Airplay controls for AppleTV no longer work, etc etc. All without warning and you can't revert iOS versions. Apple is neck deep in new **** and their legacy support is no longer a blip on their screen. They actually expect me to go out and buy new stuff when they break my old stuff with updates. They must be out of their minds. I've been their loyal customer for 30 years but that ***** is too much.

And speaking of their support forums (I refuse to use the word "community" bc it's anything but), F that place too. If you dare utter a minor criticism of the holy Apple, you get deleted with threats of banning. You don't ban me, I ban you Apple!

/r

Last edited by a moderator:

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
The Apple official support forums are particularly bad. My first guess is that a bunch of the posters are actually employees and are told not to let people say bad stuff about Apple. But employees are usually not that zealous about their work. There’s a guy on their vzandrew that literally follows people around reporting their posts and arguing with them every time someone says something that could mean Apple has a bug in their products, I should go look him up and see how he’s handling the release of iOS 13.

I don’t,t know what Safari iCloud Tabs are. If I did, maybe Ikd be as ticked about it as you.

I’m not happy with Apple either. But I look at the market and I don’t think there’s any company doing a great job right now, I’m currently okay with Apple for inexpensive products. Like I am about to buy an iPad 7 for $329. But I’m shying away from more expensive Apple purchases like a MacBook. I’ve been hearing good things about how Lenovo handles warranties. Probably gonna try them out.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
Apple support forums has as much insight in to what that company is going to do as this forum does.
At least, the posts aren't as regulated on MR regarding comments, which true, are negative towards the hardware/software product which has failed. I had a few posts removed about suggesting that Apple was aware of the 13.2 software release for HomePod that bricked it, which was the reason for them pulling it. Also, it's no surprise that the number is much larger than released whenever it took Apple 2 weeks to send a replacement form the day of receipt and acknowledgement that their software caused the problem. There are many others who are waiting just as long and now longer for their replacements. Apple customer support is only trying to delay and minimize the customer dissatisfaction with tactics to push owners to accept a replacement longer than necessary.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
It is getting out of hand. I ultimately would like to buy a Mac Pro and MBP for work, but macOS is such a mess that they would be worthless to me. I'm honestly thinking about just building some towers myself. Haven't done that since Windows 2000 and early XP days, but I am tired of the direction of macOS.

My iPhone is still running iOS 10. If I need to update it to broken software or get a new phone, I will strongly consider moving away from the platform.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
It is getting out of hand. I ultimately would like to buy a Mac Pro and MBP for work, but macOS is such a mess that they would be worthless to me. I'm honestly thinking about just building some towers myself. Haven't done that since Windows 2000 and early XP days, but I am tired of the direction of macOS.

My iPhone is still running iOS 10. If I need to update it to broken software or get a new phone, I will strongly consider moving away from the platform.

That sounds like an over-reaction. Yes macOS Catalina has problems but it's not so bad that you can't get work done with it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
OMG Every update over the past few months has done nothing but break stuff. What the heck is up with Apple lately?

And I just found out on the Apple Support Forums that the breaking of Safari iCloud tabs and history sync between iOS 13 and pre-Catalina macOS was intentional and will not be fixed. That's insane. That means a major feature of iCloud has dropped support for a one year old OS version.

Add to that, your perfectly good Smart Battery Case will stop working on iOS 13, Reminders will break older versions, Airplay controls for AppleTV no longer work, etc etc. All without warning and you can't revert iOS versions. Apple is neck deep in new **** and their legacy support is no longer a blip on their screen. They actually expect me to go out and buy new stuff when they break my old stuff with updates. They must be out of their minds. I've been their loyal customer for 30 years but that ***** is too much.

And speaking of their support forums (I refuse to use the word "community" bc it's anything but), F that place too. If you dare utter a minor criticism of the holy Apple, you get deleted with threats of banning. You don't ban me, I ban you Apple!

/r

I think i picture Apple more like a circle now.

1. Apple feedback website
2. issue fixed in some future update (probably not the adjacent one, depends if its classified as "high enough priory" for 'them', not 'you)

3. In the second update, they break it again.
4. Apple again you submit feedback
5. the circle of life repeats.

It's true, Apple should take this as their loyal users... and not shutting the door. After all, we are the ones buying them, yet we are not treated all the same.

Reactions: robogobo

robogobo

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
levander, Safari iCloud tabs and history are a major feature of iCloud that syncs tabs open on one device with other devices, so for example, something you were reading on your iPhone on the bus can be accessed from your Mac when you get home. Or even more useful, when you're away from your Mac you can bring up a tab or history item from your Mac on your iPhone. It's a really great feature and super irritating when it's suddenly gone after an update. But that's Apple lately.
[automerge]1574348810[/automerge]
iOS 12 was signed until Oct 5, and iOS 13 was released on Sept 19
Thanks for the info. What's your point?

Reactions: levander

robogobo

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Apple expects you to go to the latest version of iOS and macOS. They make it free and easy.

This sounds like a you problem, OP.
What a load of horse **** and you know it. I've got a dozen reasons I can't just update my workstation every time Apple releases a new OS version, without seriously risking other software/hardware in my workflow. I have to wait at least a year to make sure nothing else will break. But I don't expect Apple to break their own working features on my workstation when I update another device. This is not a 5 year old OS that I'm running. It's two versions old and there was no warning. You may be a casual hobby user but professionals need to be cautious.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Apple expects you to go to the latest version of iOS and macOS. They make it free and easy.

This sounds like a you problem, OP.
MacOS certainly not. They specifically give you the ability to defer updates (including installing any Mojave updates that become available after Catalina has launched) and stay put until you are ready and know your critical software is working on the next OS version. They even keep security patching the previous 2 macOS versions to make this a secure and feasible option for people.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
MacOS certainly not. They specifically give you the ability to defer updates (including installing any Mojave updates that become available after Catalina has launched) and stay put until you are ready and know your critical software is working on the next OS version. They even keep security patching the previous 2 macOS versions to make this a secure and feasible option for people.
Security updates on older versions are specifically targeted at those who can't (usually for hardware reasons) go to the latest version of macOS. The fact that the security fixes allow users to be irresponsible is an added bonus.

robogobo

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Security updates on older versions are specifically targeted at those who can't (usually for hardware reasons) go to the latest version of macOS. The fact that the security fixes allow users to be irresponsible is an added bonus.
Irresponsible? I've been on their system for 30 years and it was never anyone's responsibility to upgrade, always optional. You can take that scheisse elsewhere.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Irresponsible? I've been on their system for 30 years and it was never anyone's responsibility to upgrade, always optional. You can take that scheisse elsewhere.
Back when OS upgrades costs >$100, you were right. Those days are over.

Welcome to modern day. The machine is warranted to run on a supported operating system. Older operating systems get some security fixes but for most issues Apple is going to recommend you go to the latest version of macOS.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i hate on my high sierra machines i get constantly harrassed to update to Mojave even though Apple's not playing nice with NVIDIA anymore, it should be able to suppress the nagging when it detects the kexts/GPU being used but NO...

im still mad about apple removing RSS from safari or locking down extensions to the inferior AppStore approach they do now.

im also annoyed about the new deprecation of dashboard and they're are dozens of other nits i could pick, but the fact is Apple doesnt care about me, my 30+ years of buying macs or the average 10K a year i spend on apple products.
because a true apple fan in modern apple's eyes is a barely computer literate, cash machine that likes closed platforms, microtransactions and whose most strenuous workload is browsing facebook while using the modern more neutered version of pages.
they dont care about the dedicated IT professional with computer science degree's that wants to think different

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018

Welcome to modern day. The machine is warranted to run on a supported operating system. Older operating systems get some security fixes but for most issues Apple is going to recommend you go to the latest version of macOS.
Perhaps if the newest versions weren't broken on release and didn't strip some functions we would see people update sooner.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

Yes, but I have to respond to the "warranted" claim. If anything, warranties apply to the condition an item was sold in, so it's "warranted" to run the OS it was sold to you with.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes, but I have to respond to the "warranted" claim. If anything, warranties apply to the condition an item was sold in, so it's "warranted" to run the OS it was sold to you with.
Depends on what the problem is but odds are you're going to have a much better support experience with the latest operating system.

robogobo

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Depends on what the problem is but odds are you're going to have a much better support experience with the latest operating system.
Your advice is completely myopic and useless. If your only goal is to toe the line for Apple, please stay off my posts. macOS 10.13 is still current and receiving updates, iCloud is still compatible with both, there are no release notes that warn of incompatibility, and what's more, Safari has the same version number on both 10.13 and 10.15, latest version. One is broken and the other isn't. So don't give me that latest OS bs. Apple has always touted the longevity of its products, and this isn't consistent with that stated goal. Please go be a megafan somewhere else.
[automerge]1574430139[/automerge]
Perhaps if the newest versions weren't broken on release and didn't strip some functions we would see people update sooner.
Amen to that. Apologists can't bear to admit that Apple is a mess right now.
[automerge]1574430196[/automerge]
i hate on my high sierra machines i get constantly harrassed to update to Mojave even though Apple's not playing nice with NVIDIA anymore, it should be able to suppress the nagging when it detects the kexts/gpu being use,d but no.

im still mad about apple removing RSS from safari or locking down extensions to the inferior AppStore approach they do now.

im also annoyed about the new deprecation of dashboard and they're are dozens of other nits i could pick, but the fact is Apple doesnt care about me, my 30+ years of buying macs or the average 10K a year i spend on apple products.
because a true apple fan in modern apple's eyes is a barely computer literate, cash machine that likes closed platforms, microtransactions and whose most strenuous workload is browsing facebook while using the modern more neutered version of pages.
they dont care about the dedicated IT professional with computer science degree's that wants to think different
Yup.
[automerge]1574430349[/automerge]

Clearly you don't see the contradiction in what you're saying here. I'm running supported operating systems. There's no hack on my machine. Apple broke Safari's iCloud features, not me. If there's such a warranty, then explain why something that worked fine one day is broken the next by an update on another device, and without any warning.

Reactions: Stella and retta283

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If that were the case machines eligible for Catalina wouldn't have the option to keep installing Mojave updates separately. They'd be superseded by the Catalina install like how iOS 12.4.2 disappeared when iOS 13 was released.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Are you really trying to say that Catalina is even remotely bug fee upon release? You are out of your mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.