Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
OMG Every update over the past few months has done nothing but break stuff. What the heck is up with Apple lately?

And I just found out on the Apple Support Forums that the breaking of Safari iCloud tabs and history sync between iOS 13 and pre-Catalina macOS was intentional and will not be fixed. That's insane. That means a major feature of iCloud has dropped support for a one year old OS version.

Add to that, your perfectly good Smart Battery Case will stop working on iOS 13, Reminders will break older versions, Airplay controls for AppleTV no longer work, etc etc. All without warning and you can't revert iOS versions. Apple is neck deep in new **** and their legacy support is no longer a blip on their screen. They actually expect me to go out and buy new stuff when they break my old stuff with updates. They must be out of their minds. I've been their loyal customer for 30 years but that ***** is too much.

And speaking of their support forums (I refuse to use the word "community" bc it's anything but), F that place too. If you dare utter a minor criticism of the holy Apple, you get deleted with threats of banning. You don't ban me, I ban you Apple!

/r

So do it and stop complaining. Windows is perfect option where you find nothing but pure joy :)

Apple like every other business is not owe you nothing. They don’t force you to use their software and hardware. Go Windows and bee happy! Or, just open your business and make better products. Simple, right.

I’m grateful for Apple and their products, even if there are some small issues, advantages are much much batter. The system is stable and fantastic (competing to Windowz), works on my every machine, smoothly.

Also, they should block and delete unwanted comments of people offending their brand. Be nice and don’t offend someone when you asking for support, they will help you, just do it in normal way, ask and be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I think it's a shame that you have the clueless updating to *anything* that's a .0... doesn't matter whether it's Apple software, or Microsoft software, or fill-in-the-blank multi-billion-dollar company. *Never* install a .0 unless you have *no choice*.

But you will never convince people of that.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think it's a shame that you have the clueless updating to *anything* that's a .0... doesn't matter whether it's Apple software, or Microsoft software, or fill-in-the-blank multi-billion-dollar company. *Never* install a .0 unless you have *no choice*.

But you will never convince people of that.
Theoretically, that shouldn't be necessary. I would expect iOS 14, macOS 10.16 to be mostly bug fixes and stability fixes.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What, other than nothing, does that have to do with the point I was making?
14.0 should be a stability release and therefore you shouldn't have to worry about waiting for a .1

Do you have any idea what point you're actually making? I was assuming you just didn't have one.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
14.0 should be a stability release and therefore you shouldn't have to worry about waiting for a .1

Do you have any idea what point you're actually making? I was assuming you just didn't have one.
The same should've been the case for 13.0. But it was not. Apple has fallen into the "release now fix later" mentality, and it has damaged their reputation as software developers greatly.

I should not need to wait 6 months to update the OS because Apple decides they need to pump out a new OS every year without extensive bug testing.

Reactions: robogobo

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The same should've been the case for 13.0. But it was not. Apple has fallen into the "release now fix later" mentality, and it has damaged their reputation as software developers greatly.

I should not need to wait 6 months to update the OS because Apple decides they need to pump out a new OS every year without extensive bug testing.
13.0 wasn't a stability release...

Maybe you just don't understand major software releases.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
13.0 wasn't a stability release...

Maybe you just don't understand major software releases.
Really? There was no such thing as a stability release when I was doing OS development in the late 90s-early 2000s. We released OSes in a usable state. Were there bugs? Of course. But we didn't throw broken garbage to our clients and tell them to wait for the next one to fix it.

Maybe I am just a relic of the personal computer era, but that is some extremely backward thinking.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Really? There was no such thing as a stability release when I was doing OS development in the late 90s-early 2000s. We released OSes in a usable state. Were there bugs? Of course. But we didn't throw broken garbage to our clients and tell them to wait for the next one to fix it.

Maybe I am just a relic of the personal computer era, but that is some extremely backward thinking.

Except, you're not being honest. Windows Me came out in that time period.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Except, you're not being honest. Windows Me came out in that time period.
Windows ME was a botched release. I know that. I was working on the NT line, which was done following the classic development system. I am not entirely sure what went wrong with the 9x team, other than that Windows 9x was a flawed system to begin with. But to throw a whole decade in the trash because of one botched release is absurd. Surely Mac OS should not fall into the same pitfalls, as its foundation is rock solid. It is the poor work of the developers and bug testers that have caused this. If that wasn't true, why would they be revamping their development process?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Windows ME was a botched release. I know that. I was working on the NT line, which was done following the classic development system. I am not entirely sure what went wrong with the 9x team, other than that Windows 9x was a flawed system to begin with. But to throw a whole decade in the trash because of one botched release is absurd. Surely Mac OS should not fall into the same pitfalls, as its foundation is rock solid. It is the poor work of the developers and bug testers that have caused this. If that wasn't true, why would they be revamping their development process?
The fact is, today, we exist in a feature-based OS environment. It's not just updating, it's adding features. Adding features increasing the influx of bugs.

This goes back to the mid 2000s, where Vista was a major paradigm shift for Windows but never reached fruition until Windows 7 which was a stability release.
[automerge]1574701841[/automerge]
I can only assume that's sarcasm.
Better get that meter fixed.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The fact is, today, we exist in a feature-based OS environment. It's not just updating, it's adding features. Adding features increasing the influx of bugs.

This goes back to the mid 2000s, where Vista was a major paradigm shift for Windows but never reached fruition until Windows 7 which was a stability release.
[automerge]1574701841[/automerge]

Better get that meter fixed.
Windows Vista/7 is an interesting point. They actually had most of the MS caused issues fixed by Vista Service Pack 2, but Windows 7 was definitely a refinement OS. It is to be somewhat expected (although ridiculous considering the 6 year dev time of Vista) that a release that totally overdoes the previous in terms of UI and feature set is going to have some bugs. But a good chunk of the issues users ran into with Vista were drivers, which was the responsibility of the third part hardware makers. If good drivers were available at launch, the hate we saw for Vista would've been much smaller.

This however is a contradiction to macOS development. Majority of the hardware in use is first-party, so drivers should not be a major issue. macOS has actually not seen a major overhaul in UI/UX or features since Yosemite, which was actually a more stable release than Catalina. With the exception of APFS in High Sierra, and Dark Mode in Mojave (Mojave was stable, even with dark mode and new iOSlike apps) there has not been much added. If you reshuffle the dock icons and switch the wallpaper, you are looking at 2014 design.

Compare this to a release like Tiger or Leopard, which brought massive overhauls of UI and feature set (Leopard in particular) and were still more stable than Catalina has been. Not perfect, but better. This shows a problem with their development process, which is why Apple themselves are changing things up.

iOS 7 is another example. Complete overhaul of UI, and a lot of new features like Control Center. 7 was not a perfect release, but it actually went over better than 11 or 13.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Well, it is a fact that the development cycle has changed dramatically since the 90s. For one, you are talking about a time when OS was still delivered primarily via disc and not internet downloads. That is significant since you've got one shot to deliver the goods as you couldn't just push out a major fix to OS releases for customers to download. Conventional wisdom in the IT world was to wait for a service pack before installing the next Windows OS, but much of the world was still on dial up and unless you had a TechNet subscription, getting the latest and greatest wasn't easy. Microsoft products were notoriously buggy in that time frame(including NT 4.0).

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Well, it is a fact that the development cycle has changed dramatically since the 90s. For one, you are talking about a time when OS was still delivered primarily via disc and not internet downloads. That is significant since you've got one shot to deliver the goods as you couldn't just push out a major fix to OS releases for customers to download. Conventional wisdom in the IT world was to wait for a service pack before installing the next Windows OS, but much of the world was still on dial up and unless you had a TechNet subscription, getting the latest and greatest wasn't easy. Microsoft products were notoriously buggy in that time frame(including NT 4.0).

What you’re talking about is using customers as beta testers. I use my computer for important stuff. I don’t want to beta test.

Recently, I got a letter in the mail saying my Car insurance had been cancelled because I didn’t pay my car insurance bill. Which was weird because I. know I had out a reminder in the Reminders app to remind me to pay it the day after my credit card statement printed. I was low on cash and needed to put off paying my car insurance until the next month. I looked on my iPhone which had been upgraded to iOS 13 and my reminder wasn't in there, weird. So I called my car insurance, they reinstated me, I paid them, everything was fixed. But apparently I had driven around for 20 days without car insurance. Good thing I did it get into a wreck.

A week later, I noticed on my iPad that I rarely use and hadn’t upgraded to iOS 13, the reminder to pay my car insurance was in the Reminder app there. Which is weird, because for years I had been effortlessly syncing Reminders between my iPhone and iPad without thinking about it, Then I noticed on my iPad’s reminder app there were two other reminders that were saying stuff about “This reminder’s list has been upgraded. Please click here to see why.”

Basically, because Apple decided to break Remders syncing when you upgrade one of your devices to iOS 13 but not the other, my car insurance got cancelled for awhile.

Thinking it’s okay if we screw up customers software temporarily because we can easily download a fix later is a horrible way to run a company. I hope that’s not what Apple is thinking.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
What you’re talking about is using customers as beta testers. I use my computer for important stuff. I don’t want to beta test.

Recently, I got a letter in the mail saying my Car insurance had been cancelled because I didn’t pay my car insurance bill. Which was weird because I. know I had out a reminder in the Reminders app to remind me to pay it the day after my credit card statement printed. I was low on cash and needed to put off paying my car insurance until the next month. I looked on my iPhone which had been upgraded to iOS 13 and my reminder wasn't in there, weird. So I called my car insurance, they reinstated me, I paid them, everything was fixed. But apparently I had driven around for 20 days without car insurance. Good thing I did it get into a wreck.

A week later, I noticed on my iPad that I rarely use and hadn’t upgraded to iOS 13, the reminder to pay my car insurance was in the Reminder app there. Which is weird, because for years I had been effortlessly syncing Reminders between my iPhone and iPad without thinking about it, Then I noticed on my iPad’s reminder app there were two other reminders that were saying stuff about “This reminder’s list has been upgraded. Please click here to see why.”

Basically, because Apple decided to break Remders syncing when you upgrade one of your devices to iOS 13 but not the other, my car insurance got cancelled for awhile.

Thinking it’s okay if we screw up customers software temporarily because we can easily download a fix later is a horrible way to run a company. I hope that’s not what Apple is thinking.

The comparison was to software development and delivery 20 years ago. That isn't an excuse for buggy software, but customer are always beta testers for new software releases and that isn't limited to Apple. Google "Windows 10 buggy releases". Fact is that OS have become much more complex and connected and any comparison to what used to be just isn't relevant, which is the point I was making.

Last edited:

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

And the two modal notices you had to click through in Reminders on the phone telling you about the upgrade and what would happen, those weren't relevant. Got it.

redrumredrum

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2014
Apple expects you to go to the latest version of iOS and macOS. They make it free and easy.

This sounds like a you problem, OP.

That's a very arrogant and ignorant statement. It completely ignores that the reality can be very different for different people.

I jumped on the Apple kart with the arrival of OS X (= Unix) and has been advocating for it for years. However, Catalina is a big problem for me and my family; we have many apps we depend on that are 32-bit and for which there are no upgrades available. Apple has not only forced me to jump through hoops to keep Catalina off my machines but also made upgrading to newer hardware a non-option.

This is a really difficult situation and there are no good options available for me. At least, for Windows applications I could keep running them in a VM, but with Apple I'm screwed (you can only legally run macOS VMs on Apple hardware).

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I’ve been hearing good things about how Lenovo handles warranties. Probably gonna try them out.

If it is anything like their support good luck. My Thinkpad constantly reminds me to login to to get the latest updates. Only the damn thing will not allow you to login. Go to their support page and try to contact anybody, it is useless as well. Luckily it seem my laptop will survive until early January when the warranty runs out. Otherwise my experience tells me it will be useless trying to get it repaired if it breaks there is no way to contact them.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i hate on my high sierra machines i get constantly harrassed to update to Mojave even though Apple's not playing nice with NVIDIA anymore, it should be able to suppress the nagging when it detects the kexts/GPU being used but NO...

im still mad about apple removing RSS from safari or locking down extensions to the inferior AppStore approach they do now.

im also annoyed about the new deprecation of dashboard and they're are dozens of other nits i could pick, but the fact is Apple doesnt care about me, my 30+ years of buying macs or the average 10K a year i spend on apple products.
because a true apple fan in modern apple's eyes is a barely computer literate, cash machine that likes closed platforms, microtransactions and whose most strenuous workload is browsing facebook while using the modern more neutered version of pages.
they dont care about the dedicated IT professional with computer science degree's that wants to think different

I'm still on Mojave, and that's how it stays, because i run 32 bit apps so i'm nt going to scrap those as the developps has no/breakable 64 bit versions i'm simply not gonna go there.

For me, i don't bother with Terminal fixes or anything,, I just disable "check for updates" .. This is more brutel as it won't check for *anything again*, but for me, i always prefer cutting the 'throat first,', :)

Then i can investigate peacefully.. if i want to manualy check, or not... To me, much better

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's a very arrogant and ignorant statement. It completely ignores that the reality can be very different for different people.

I jumped on the Apple kart with the arrival of OS X (= Unix) and has been advocating for it for years. However, Catalina is a big problem for me and my family; we have many apps we depend on that are 32-bit and for which there are no upgrades available. Apple has not only forced me to jump through hoops to keep Catalina off my machines but also made upgrading to newer hardware a non-option.

This is a really difficult situation and there are no good options available for me. At least, for Windows applications I could keep running them in a VM, but with Apple I'm screwed (you can only legally run macOS VMs on Apple hardware).

You’re right. How dare Apple end support of old technology?

See how silly you sound?

If not now, then when?

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
You’re right. How dare Apple end support of old technology?

See how silly you sound?
It's not that we are asking Apple to support serial drives or Cassettes, we are simply asking for the continued function of apps whose functionality has not yet been matched by a modern product. There are plenty of apps that are 32 bit or have enough 32 bit code to stop functioning on Catalina that are still part of people's workflow. People may claim that they need to "move on" but without the porting of missing functions to newer versions of these apps or creations of a new version of a type of app it is not feasible.

I know people who have thousands of dollars of audio equipment that is operated on Mac software. It's been that way since 07. And just now they can no longer update, or their equipment will stop working with the computer. Aperture is another example, there are a lot of people who love and still use that app because they prefer its function and workflow, and now they are forced to move on or stay with Mojave. Dashboard workflows have been wiped out as well. While that one is more understandable than the other two, it was only removed because it was 32 bit code. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of additional examples of apps that are essential to people's workflow and/or jobs that have been rendered useless without viable replacement by this. We are on x64 platform still, this is a pointless move.

Just because these people are not the majority does not mean they are old hermits that should be silenced, but Apple doesn't seem to consider business or editors that will be left in the cold by this change. Just because something is old, does not mean we need to remove it. By that logic we should not use physical keyboards, as they date to the 19th century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.