Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd start this discussion thread as I haven't seen anyone else start one. After watching the first three episodes yesterday, I am very much intrigued and hooked on this series. Storyline, character development, set pieces (though a bit dark), and the acting were all spot on.

For those that haven't watched it yet, do enjoy! Cannot wait for episode 4 next week!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I’ve just watched the first episode but I already love it too. Creepy. Plus the house is like a character in itself too. Reminds me of a cross between a David Fincher film and something M Night S would be (and is) involved in. The actors are great too. Can’t wait to see more. Jericho doll is super sinister and realistic.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I intentionally avoided this thread, and Twitter, until I watched all 3 episodes and now I did.. ?

At first I’m not sure where this story going but ep. 2 and 3 gives me a big Rosemary’s Baby vibe, not because that movie happened almost entirely in one apartment just like this one. That helps but I get more of a Voodoo, Occult, Satan vibe From that film in this.
The girl who plays Leanne is quite good. Didn’t remember her from GoT. The wife’s also great.
Now I’m dying to see next episode.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks for posting. Added to my list of watched Apple TV+ show-specific threads.

I have yet to start watching this, so will be mindful of avoiding spoilers, but it looks great and I am very much looking forward to it :cool:

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Hooked since the first minutes of episode 1. So far the best TV Show on Apple TV+. Some of the twists were predictable though.

Major spoiler:

I think the nanny is dead, she just doesn't want to accept it (like the eels that keep squirming after being technically dead?).

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I didn't connect that to Oz, it didn't cross my mind at all, but yes, it totally makes sense now that someone pointed that out. What do you guys think of the scenes with the eels? Dorothy says something like they refuse to die or they don't accept they're dead hence why they keep squirming... I can't remember her words precisely but I think it might be a major hint at what is happening there. Someone is dead, I'd say the nanny, since there's a tomb with her name on it.

Reactions: zinacef

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What do you guys think of the scenes with the eels? Dorothy says something like they refuse to die or they don't accept they're dead hence why they keep squirming

Leanne is dead but didn’t know it. That’s why she‘s connected with that eel.
She and the baby are the same, lifeless.

Last edited:

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I agree. And she’s probably evil too. Someone set her house on fire and killed the whole family in an attempt to eradicate the evil.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
I’ve just watched the first episode but I already love it too. Creepy. Plus the house is like a character in itself too. Reminds me of a cross between a David Fincher film and something M Night S would be (and is) involved in. The actors are great too. Can’t wait to see more. Jericho doll is super sinister and realistic.

Apart from the house being creepy, I think all the scenes are deliberately dark. Like in the house, there's barely any lights on, and outside, it always seems cloudy. For me, I like that backdrop as it gives the series a very macabre feel to it.

I intentionally avoided this thread, and Twitter, until I watched all 3 episodes and now I did.. ?

At first I’m not sure where this story going but ep. 2 and 3 gives me a big Rosemary’s Baby vibe, not because that movie happened almost entirely in one apartment just like this one. That helps but I get more of a Voodoo, Occult, Satan vibe From that film in this.
The girl who plays Leanne is quite good. Didn’t remember her from GoT. The wife’s also great.
Now I’m dying to see next episode.

I haven't seen the movie Rosemary Baby (I know, it's a classic) but now, with your reference, I think I'll try to watch it before the next episode. Never knew Leanne was in Game Of Thrones.

Why do you think the wife is still experiencing occasional catatonic states? I thought the baby doll helped her to overcome that.

Hooked since the first minutes of episode 1. So far the best TV Show on Apple TV+. Some of the twists were predictable though.

Major spoiler:

I think the nanny is dead, she just doesn't want to accept it (like the eels that keep squirming after being technically dead?).

I thought so too as that would be classic Shyamalan but if that's the case, why would the husband or brother-in-law (Grint) see her. Interesting point though!

I didn't connect that to Oz, it didn't cross my mind at all, but yes, it totally makes sense now that someone pointed that out. What do you guys think of the scenes with the eels? Dorothy says something like they refuse to die or they don't accept they're dead hence why they keep squirming... I can't remember her words precisely but I think it might be a major hint at what is happening there. Someone is dead, I'd say the nanny, since there's a tomb with her name on it.

Interesting point with references to the Wizard Of Oz. I think I'm going to re-watch the episodes again this weekend to see if I can spot those references.

Leanne is dead but didn’t know it. That’s why she‘s connected with that eel.
She and the baby are the same, lifeless.

I was thinking the same, but if that's the case, why has the baby come alive? I'm not buying that Leanne abducted the baby, and I don't think there's any kind of evil or supernaturalness taking place as that's not usually Shyamalan's angle as he mostly strives for a Hitchcockian element to his movies.

I agree. And she’s probably evil too. Someone set her house on fire and killed the whole family in an attempt to eradicate the evil.

I'm wondering if she's some kind of opportunist versus someone who is evil? Thoughts? Notice when the family is away, she likes to put on Dorothy's jewelry, makeup, and shoes. Maybe she wishes she was in Dorothy's position - successful career woman, wife, and mother? And what about that scene (in the kitchen with Julian, Leanne is following exactly what Dorothy was doing with Toby just before they left the house for dinner.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I was thinking the same, but if that's the case, why has the baby come alive?
Leanne cross. She put one in the baby room before he becomes alive. (and she’s supposedly be alive because of it as well) There’s no way that was a Christian cross. It’s more like a witchcraft object
The baby came alive to make the family complete.

Notice when the family is away, she likes to put on Dorothy's jewelry, makeup, and shoes. Maybe she wishes she was in Dorothy's position - successful career woman, wife, and mother? And what about that scene (in the kitchen with Julian, Leanne is following exactly what Dorothy was doing with Toby just before they left the house for dinner.

The baby is a misdirection. Supposes the witch in Leanne body is of the same age as Dorothy, it will be Dorothy that is her target not the baby. Hence why she seems to be obsessed with Dorothy belongings. (Remember when Leanne’s asked what is her dream and she said happy family and a kid?)
If that’s truth it will be Dorothy vs the witch just like in WoO. ?

EDIT: I just re-watch the first episode and the interesting scene to me is when Sean said to Dorothy about Leanne “I don’t want her to get into your head.” And Dorothy replied about should have hired a “lap dancing Satanist” instead. I think ALL dialogues in this scene are very interesting, especially the last one “Who cares she brings a little God into our world.”
Hmm.. ? (Maybe the baby is an entity the witch needs to nurturing?)

This is my rough understanding of the show. I need to re-watch it again to understand more clearly all the clues.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

..or Leanne set her home on fire herself, killing her parent and herself, under influence of something evil. The witch then used her body. (That evil crosses in the home looks quite new, unaffected by fire)

Last edited:
Reactions: zinacef and rmoliv

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
..or Leanne set her home on fire herself, killing her parent and herself, under influence of something evil. The witch then used her body. (That evil crosses in the home looks quite new, unaffected by fire)

Wondering why the cross in the home looked unaffected by fire. I agree that an evil witch might have taken over Leanne’s body - if the the Wizard of Oz Easter eggs are anything to go by. Another thing that caught my eye was her handwritten resume, unlike all the others. And the stain of blood.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Servant is finally a show that interests me. It's good, not great. But for Apple, it is very solid. I have also enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I've yet to watch anything else on the service.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
@matrix07 — I liked your ideas and theories! I’m hoping to watch the first three episodes in the series again today to see if I pick up those Wizard Of Oz references and some of your theories you mentioned.

@rmoliv — Great ideas and theories as well. I am certainly puzzled by the symbolism of that straw cross and its meaning (where the heck Leanne gets the straw from to make it). I’m going to look at the episodes again today to pick up on the handwritten resume with blood stain.

Reactions: rmoliv

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Well I just watched the three episodes and it's by far the best show on TV+. Granted, I've only watched Dickinson all the way through. I don't have any great theories to what's going on but I like what I'm reading in here.

This show has a fantastic premise and a very good cast. While the other TV+ shows were built around elaborate sets, costume design and A-listers, this show is grounded. It's a pure Shyamalan piece that plays on character flaws and suspiciously creepy themes. His work is very hit and miss, where most is totally forgettable. But he works best with a grounded family setting.

As far as theories go, MNS' supernatural-ness normally doesn't pull too far off the spectrum. He really does follow in Hitchcock's footsteps that way. Leanne's character doesn't seem like someone violent or nefarious, so I think there's less horror concepts than people expect. Just wanted to wind down some of those expectations.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
As far as theories go, MNS' supernatural-ness normally doesn't pull too far off the spectrum. He really does follow in Hitchcock's footsteps that way. Leanne's character doesn't seem like someone violent or nefarious, so I think there's less horror concepts than people expect. Just wanted to wind down some of those expectations.

?
[automerge]1575249029[/automerge]
@matrix07 — I liked your ideas and theories! I’m hoping to watch the first three episodes in the series again today to see if I pick up those Wizard Of Oz references and some of your theories you mentioned.

To be clear though, when I said
the baby is a misdirection I didn't mean it doesn’t matter. Just that I think Leanne comes to take Dorothy place. I think there’s something about the baby that’s important. Otherwise something won’t prevent Sean taking the baby outside (supposedly to be away from Dorothy)
The question is, what is the baby now?
A. Is it a doll being alive by black magic (that weird crosss that Leanne hanged in the baby room)?
B. The real Jericho reborn like in the title?
or
C. A devil’s son that Leanne replaced the doll with (like the plot of Rosemary’s Baby and The Omen so it needs an evil nanny for protection, hence Sean can’t take it outside)?

Also, what or who is The Servant? And whom he/she serving?

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The most surprise of the story is .. Leanne uses iCloud.com ?

Attachments

• DB52FA5B-0F1B-4C96-B50E-B025B2B982DA.jpeg
    DB52FA5B-0F1B-4C96-B50E-B025B2B982DA.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 381

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
?
[automerge]1575249029[/automerge]

To be clear though, when I said
the baby is a misdirection I didn't mean it doesn’t matter. Just that I think Leanne comes to take Dorothy place. I think there’s something about the baby that’s important. Otherwise something won’t prevent Sean taking the baby outside (supposedly to be away from Dorothy)
The question is, what is the baby now?
A. Is it a doll being alive by black magic (that weird crosss that Leanne hanged in the baby room)?
B. The real Jericho reborn like in the title?
or
C. A devil’s son that Leanne replaced the doll with (like the plot of Rosemary’s Baby and The Omen so it needs an evil nanny for protection, hence Sean can’t take it outside)?

Also, what or who is The Servant? And whom he/she serving?

More great points! I'm thinking the same thing that Leanne is in some way wanting to take Dorothy's spot (trying on her clothes and jewelry). I am also puzzled by the scene re: the security passcode. I believe it has some significance but can't quite put my finger on it but it could just be as you suggested that Leanne doesn't want Sean to leave the house with the baby. As for your question, I'm personally thinking maybe choice A?

Also, nice catch about the title of the series as they could've titled it as 'The Nanny' instead so maybe Leanne is serving some kind of entity?

The most surprise of the story is .. Leanne uses iCloud.com ?

Hahaha...nice catch. I tried pausing the episode to read that letter but couldn't do it. Wonder if that's a deliberate reference (her email) hoping folks would send an email?

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah, especially when Sean didn’t seem to recognize him (“whose is it?”).
Another good catch! I should've picked up on that because when he first showed the live baby to Julian, he didn't say, "Jericho is alive," or, "Jericho has come back!" Instead when Julian asks him whose baby is that, he replied he didn't know instead of just saying that it was Jericho.

Reactions: matrix07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Another good catch! I should've picked up on that because when he first showed the live baby to Julian, he didn't say, "Jericho is alive," or, "Jericho has come back!" Instead when Julian asks him whose baby is that, he replied he didn't know instead of just saying that it was Jericho.

Did you catch that, in the last scene of E3 Julian referred to the baby to Sean as
”that thing”? (“The longer that thing stays here the more it’s gonna cost you.”

I find it very weird to refer to living baby like that.

Last edited:

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Did you catch that, in the last scene of E3 Julian referred to the baby to Sean as
”that thing”? (“The longer that thing stays here the more it’s gonna cost you.”

I find it very weird to refer to living baby like that.
Actually I do remember him saying that line so I’m thinking this baby bears no resemblance to the real Jericho. And why is it that there aren’t any photos of the real Jericho throughout the episodes?

Reactions: matrix07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.