Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
I'm running Microsoft Remote Desktop from my mac to screenshare into my pc. This works great, but I'd also like to share the internet connection to the PC. Is this possible? The PC doesn't have wifi and the ethernet cable has to go straight from the mac to the pc.

I tried to turn on Internet sharing under sharing, but that kills the connection to the PC completely and I can no longer screenshare.

Ideas?

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Definitely possible.

- on the Mac enable internet sharing from wifi to ethernet
- connect the PC & Mac via ethernet
- ensure the PC is able to connect to the internet
- on the PC, get the IP address (command prompt ipconfig/all)
- on the Mac, in MS remote desktop, use that IP address to connect to the PC

Have a beer.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Thanks! Is it possible to choose what the IP will be for the WIFI sharing? I already have the IP set up on the PC side that I use for a lot of other applications and would rather not change it. Thanks again

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Not from the GUI that I'm aware of. Probably possible via terminal if you feel like tinkering. Personally, I'd change all the other apps and manually assign the PC that IP address.

seabasse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Yeah, I'd do that if I wasn't sharing files with a bunch of other people with the exact same IP set up on their machines. I'll see if there is a way to do it.

Or can I find out what the IP will be on the PC ahead of time, set it, lose connection and log in again with the new IP? And when I'm done updating I can just switch the IP back on the PC and turn off internet sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.