Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Shenmue often seems to be a "love it" or "hate it" but I am firmly in the "love it" camp. I never would have thought we would get part 3 considering part 2 was 18 years ago. I am really excited for this.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I played the original to death on Dreamcast. More recently I bought Shenmue I & II 'remastered' for my Xbox One X. I have completed the first game again and not long ago started the sequel. I will almost certainly get the third instalment. I understand it isn't coming to Xbox, though? I have a PS4 Pro so I guess it doesn't matter much.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I played the original to death on Dreamcast. More recently I bought Shenmue I & II 'remastered' for my Xbox One X. I have completed the first game again and not long ago started the sequel. I will almost certainly get the third instalment. I understand it isn't coming to Xbox, though? I have a PS4 Pro so I guess it doesn't matter much.

I'm not sure. That would be ironic because I remember being so upset that Sega made a deal to release Shenmue 2 only on X-box in the USA without making a USA Dreamcast version.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I'm not sure. That would be ironic because I remember being so upset that Sega made a deal to release Shenmue 2 only on X-box in the USA without making a USA Dreamcast version.

Think it was the same in the UK. I recall starting Shenmue II on my original Xbox but the frame rate was so bad I gave up. Think it must have been like 10fps in the harbour at the beginning. Bad port, I guess.

I really must continue with it now on my One X and get up to date before Shenmue III is released :cool:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Think it was the same in the UK. I recall starting Shenmue II on my original Xbox but the frame rate was so bad I gave up. Think it must have been like 10fps in the harbour at the beginning. Bad port, I guess.

I really must continue with it now on my One X and get up to date before Shenmue III is released :cool:

I never had an Xbox. A friend of mine let me borrow his import version of Shenmue 2 so that I could play it on my Dreamcast. It was a really fun game that expanded the universe. Such a shame USA Dreamcast owners were shut out.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I just went and looked. Wow, it's been over 4 years since I donated to the Kickstarter campaign. I'm downloading the game right now.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Shenmue 3 is a real pleasure to play, it changes classic AAA games like Ghost Recon BP or Rage 2

The best quote from a review I read said, "It feels like a remaster of a game from that time period that never existed." I think that's a good thing!

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I played the first installment on my Sega Dreamcast back in the days and loved it. Never played the second part. Seems you guys are enjoying the 3th part? Guess I'll add these to my wishlist and pick'm up when they're on sale.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I played the first installment on my Sega Dreamcast back in the days and loved it. Never played the second part. Seems you guys are enjoying the 3th part? Guess I'll add these to my wishlist and pick'm up when they're on sale.

I loved the first two but I was really frustrated by the third. It's got this awful "energy" system where you have to keep track of food or you have to walk slowly around. I keep saying I need to go back to give the game a proper chance but it just wasn't fun for me and I'm not motivated to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.